Re: [Jeg time gwishKeidan] Re: 70th Yortzayt for Keidan - NYC, Aug. 28

  • Bert Oppenheim
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 14, 2011
      Andy it's been a long time since we have had contacted each other. I have a Keiden grandmother that I cannot trace. She came from Keidan to somewhere in Indiana to Chicago. I have not been able to trace her back to Keidan. I have attached a short tree that may help you. I have her death cert. but the family names are incorrect.
      BTW I have published a book "The Oppenheim Family History 1750-1995". Should you like a copy tell me and I will send it on. (No Charge)

      Bert

      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 14, 2011
        Hi Andy,

        Unfortunately, I will not be able to be in NYC on August 28.  It is heartwarming that the Keidan descendants in the US are commemorating this tragedy that happened 70 years ago.

        Most appreciately,

        Marci (Meyers) Levin

        Grandaughter of Celia Bogan Meyers (Tsipe Chaya Bugan Mer)
        Born:  1871 in Keidan
        Died:  1957, Akron, Ohio

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 14, 2011

          Hi Andy,

          Wish I could attend but living in London , UK makes it difficult. I will mark the Yortzayt here for all the Keidaners. My father’s family were originally Linde or Lindait as known in Lithuanian. His sisters had their married surnames naturally. My paternal grandmother and all her children and grandchildren were killed together with all the Jewish community there. Wonderful that you’ll all be saying Kaddish for everyone and thank you. I’ll ask my husband to say Kaddish at synagogue here.

          Regards

          Barbara Levin

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 19, 2011
            Any chance we could teleconference?  Even if we can't, we will have a ceremony at our synagogue here in Rock Island, Illinois.  Two of our members(me included) are distant cousins and Keidan descendants.  Thank you for inspiring us to do this.
            Marla Andich

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 20, 2011

              Would the Israelis among us want to meet  somewhere too? As it is going to be very hot outside, maybe we could try to meet somewhere inside, not in the Holon cemetery.

              Tamar Dothan

              Jerusalem

              dothan-t@...

[...]

              No virus found in this message.

            • Beverly
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 20, 2011
                Good idea! Can someone teleconference?   I'm disabled.

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 23, 2011
                  I doubt we will be able to set up a live teleconference link given time and resources, but we can certainly try to record the procedings in some fashion, and make that available afterwards. Thanks for your interest.

                  If anyone else has questions or suggestions, please don't hesitate to get in touch. Again, we're planning to meet at 2pm on Sunday, Aug. 28 at the Museum of Jewish Heritage, 36 Battery Place in Manhattan. Looking forward to seeing as many Keidaner friends as possible that day. Thanks again.

                  Andy

                  JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, Beverly <briggs36427@...> wrote:

                  > Good idea! Can someone teleconference?   I'm disabled.

                • Sharon
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 23, 2011
                    I plan to attend ,if our family is in town, with my son and possibly my husband too. My father was Joseph Silber who came to the US after the war, his mother was Rosa Shterenfeld, Mother's sisters Chana Shternfeld Rabinowitz and Mere Shterenfeld Finkelstein. We are also related to the Lurie family.

                    I doubt we will be able to set up a live teleconference link given time and resources, but we can certainly try to record the procedings in some fashion, and make that available afterwards. Thanks for your interest.

                    If anyone else has questions or suggestions, please don't hesitate to get in touch. Again, we're planning to meet at 2pm on Sunday, Aug. 28 at the Museum of Jewish Heritage, 36 Battery Place in Manhattan. Looking forward to seeing as many Keidaner friends as possible that day. Thanks again.

                    Andy

                    JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, Beverly <briggs36427@...> wrote:

                    > Good idea! Can someone teleconference?   I'm disabled.

                  • Sara
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 10, 2011
                    • 1 Attachment
                    • 357 KB
                    Shalom to Barbara Levin,
                    I wonder if you know that a Mr.Chayim Linda was living in Raanana in Israel
                    He was a friend of my mother-Mina Ronder.He had 3or 4 daughters and I am trying to find them since we too-Keidaner decedents in Israel- are  going to have a commemoration ceremony on Aug 28 in Tel Aviv.
                    Among my photos from my visits in Keidan found a tombstone of Baruch Linda the son of Israel who died on Feb.15 ,1932
                    I am attuching the photo and hope it will be interesting for you.
                    Best regards
                    Sara Yakubovski

                    Message 10 of 18 , Aug 10, 2011
                      Hi Barbera, I am originally from South Africa, my father from Keidan. I distinctly remember him speaking of a Chaim Linda but I am sure that he lived in South Africa

                      --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, Sara <sarayaku@...> wrote:

                      > Shalom to Barbara Levin,
                      > I wonder if you know that a Mr.Chayim Linda was living in Raanana in Israel
                      > He was a friend of my mother-Mina Ronder.He had 3or 4 daughters and I am trying to find them since we too-Keidaner decedents in Israel- are going to have a commemoration ceremony on Aug 28 in Tel Aviv.
                      > Among my photos from my visits in Keidan found a tombstone of Baruch Linda the son of Israel who died on Feb.15 ,1932
                      > I am attuching the photo and hope it will be interesting for you.
                      > Best regards
                      > Sara Yakubovski

                    • shacknofskysonja
                      Message 11 of 18 , Aug 13, 2011
                        Hi,
                        My father came from Keidan and had a friend Chaim Linda who was from Keidan and lived  in South Africa.

                        --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, Sara <sarayaku@...> wrote:

                        > Shalom to Barbara Levin,
                        > I wonder if you know that a Mr.Chayim Linda was living in Raanana in Israel
                        > He was a friend of my mother-Mina Ronder.He had 3or 4 daughters and I am trying to find them since we too-Keidaner decedents in Israel- are going to have a commemoration ceremony on Aug 28 in Tel Aviv.
                        > Among my photos from my visits in Keidan found a tombstone of Baruch Linda the son of Israel who died on Feb.15 ,1932
                        > I am attuching the photo and hope it will be interesting for you.
                        > Best regards
                        > Sara Yakubovski

                      • Harriet Sugar Miller
                        Message 12 of 18 , Oct 28, 2011
                          He's my great great grandfather and lived in or near Keidan (maybe in Seta), died around 1904, we think is buried in the Keidan cemetery. Anybody recognize the name?
                          Harriet Sugar Miller, Montreal