70th Yortzayt for Keidan - NYC, Aug. 28

    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 13, 2011
      Keidaner friends,

      I'm very pleased to invite subscribers to this list to a very special commemoration of Keidan's Jewish community this summer in New York City.

      As you know, Aug. 28, 1941 was the day the Nazis and their Lithuanian helpers murdered more than 2,000 Keidan Jews, methodically shooting and burying them in a mass grave just outside the town.

      This year, on Sunday, Aug. 28, 2011, Keidaners and Keidan descendents in the U.S. will mark the 70th anniversary of that day at the Museum of Jewish Heritage, 36 Battery Place in Manhattan. We will have a brief ceremony, a chance to recall the vibrant community that was and the lives that were ended so cruelly, followed by light refreshments.

      All are welcome to attend. If possible, please let me know by email if you plan to be with us so we can make sure there are sufficient chairs and refreshments. The commemoration will begin at 2pm and finish by 4pm. I hope to see as many of you as possible.

      Warmly,

      Andy Cassel
      awcassel@...
    • Ada Green
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 14, 2011
        Hi Andy,

        I assume the Keidan yarzheit on August 28 is also for those who have roots in Shat.  Please confirm.

        Ada Green

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 14, 2011

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 14, 2011
            Ada,

            Of course. Hope to see you there.

            ac
          • Josh Weinstein
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 14, 2011
              Yes, I plan to attend,
                                  Josh Weinstein

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 14, 2011
                Andy it's been a long time since we have had contacted each other. I have a Keiden grandmother that I cannot trace. She came from Keidan to somewhere in Indiana to Chicago. I have not been able to trace her back to Keidan. I have attached a short tree that may help you. I have her death cert. but the family names are incorrect.
                BTW I have published a book "The Oppenheim Family History 1750-1995". Should you like a copy tell me and I will send it on. (No Charge)

                Bert

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 14, 2011
                  Her name was Elixabeth (Lizzy) Weiner Crost . I was unable to attach File.
                  Bert

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 14, 2011
                    Hi Andy,

                    Unfortunately, I will not be able to be in NYC on August 28.  It is heartwarming that the Keidan descendants in the US are commemorating this tragedy that happened 70 years ago.

                    Most appreciately,

                    Marci (Meyers) Levin

                    Grandaughter of Celia Bogan Meyers (Tsipe Chaya Bugan Mer)
                    Born:  1871 in Keidan
                    Died:  1957, Akron, Ohio

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 14, 2011

                      Hi Andy,

                      Wish I could attend but living in London , UK makes it difficult. I will mark the Yortzayt here for all the Keidaners. My father’s family were originally Linde or Lindait as known in Lithuanian. His sisters had their married surnames naturally. My paternal grandmother and all her children and grandchildren were killed together with all the Jewish community there. Wonderful that you’ll all be saying Kaddish for everyone and thank you. I’ll ask my husband to say Kaddish at synagogue here.

                      Regards

                      Barbara Levin

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 19, 2011
                        Any chance we could teleconference?  Even if we can't, we will have a ceremony at our synagogue here in Rock Island, Illinois.  Two of our members(me included) are distant cousins and Keidan descendants.  Thank you for inspiring us to do this.
                        Marla Andich

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 20, 2011

                          Would the Israelis among us want to meet  somewhere too? As it is going to be very hot outside, maybe we could try to meet somewhere inside, not in the Holon cemetery.

                          Tamar Dothan

                          Jerusalem

                          dothan-t@...

[...]

                          No virus found in this message.

                        • Beverly
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 20, 2011
                            Good idea! Can someone teleconference?   I'm disabled.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 23, 2011
                              I doubt we will be able to set up a live teleconference link given time and resources, but we can certainly try to record the procedings in some fashion, and make that available afterwards. Thanks for your interest.

                              If anyone else has questions or suggestions, please don't hesitate to get in touch. Again, we're planning to meet at 2pm on Sunday, Aug. 28 at the Museum of Jewish Heritage, 36 Battery Place in Manhattan. Looking forward to seeing as many Keidaner friends as possible that day. Thanks again.

                              Andy

                              JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, Beverly <briggs36427@...> wrote:

                              > Good idea! Can someone teleconference?   I'm disabled.

                            • Sharon
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 23, 2011
                                I plan to attend ,if our family is in town, with my son and possibly my husband too. My father was Joseph Silber who came to the US after the war, his mother was Rosa Shterenfeld, Mother's sisters Chana Shternfeld Rabinowitz and Mere Shterenfeld Finkelstein. We are also related to the Lurie family.

                                I doubt we will be able to set up a live teleconference link given time and resources, but we can certainly try to record the procedings in some fashion, and make that available afterwards. Thanks for your interest.

                                If anyone else has questions or suggestions, please don't hesitate to get in touch. Again, we're planning to meet at 2pm on Sunday, Aug. 28 at the Museum of Jewish Heritage, 36 Battery Place in Manhattan. Looking forward to seeing as many Keidaner friends as possible that day. Thanks again.

                                Andy

                                JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, Beverly <briggs36427@...> wrote:

                                > Good idea! Can someone teleconference?   I'm disabled.

                              • Sara
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 10, 2011
                                • 1 Attachment
                                • 357 KB
                                Shalom to Barbara Levin,
                                I wonder if you know that a Mr.Chayim Linda was living in Raanana in Israel
                                He was a friend of my mother-Mina Ronder.He had 3or 4 daughters and I am trying to find them since we too-Keidaner decedents in Israel- are  going to have a commemoration ceremony on Aug 28 in Tel Aviv.
                                Among my photos from my visits in Keidan found a tombstone of Baruch Linda the son of Israel who died on Feb.15 ,1932
                                I am attuching the photo and hope it will be interesting for you.
                                Best regards
                                Sara Yakubovski

                                Message 16 of 18 , Aug 10, 2011
                                  Hi Barbera, I am originally from South Africa, my father from Keidan. I distinctly remember him speaking of a Chaim Linda but I am sure that he lived in South Africa

                                  --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, Sara <sarayaku@...> wrote:

                                  > Shalom to Barbara Levin,
                                  > I wonder if you know that a Mr.Chayim Linda was living in Raanana in Israel
                                  > He was a friend of my mother-Mina Ronder.He had 3or 4 daughters and I am trying to find them since we too-Keidaner decedents in Israel- are going to have a commemoration ceremony on Aug 28 in Tel Aviv.
                                  > Among my photos from my visits in Keidan found a tombstone of Baruch Linda the son of Israel who died on Feb.15 ,1932
                                  > I am attuching the photo and hope it will be interesting for you.
                                  > Best regards
                                  > Sara Yakubovski

                                • shacknofskysonja
                                  Message 17 of 18 , Aug 13, 2011
                                    Hi,
                                    My father came from Keidan and had a friend Chaim Linda who was from Keidan and lived  in South Africa.

                                    --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, Sara <sarayaku@...> wrote:

                                    > Shalom to Barbara Levin,
                                    > I wonder if you know that a Mr.Chayim Linda was living in Raanana in Israel
                                    > He was a friend of my mother-Mina Ronder.He had 3or 4 daughters and I am trying to find them since we too-Keidaner decedents in Israel- are going to have a commemoration ceremony on Aug 28 in Tel Aviv.
                                    > Among my photos from my visits in Keidan found a tombstone of Baruch Linda the son of Israel who died on Feb.15 ,1932
                                    > I am attuching the photo and hope it will be interesting for you.
                                    > Best regards
                                    > Sara Yakubovski

                                  • Harriet Sugar Miller
                                    Message 18 of 18 , Oct 28, 2011
                                      He's my great great grandfather and lived in or near Keidan (maybe in Seta), died around 1904, we think is buried in the Keidan cemetery. Anybody recognize the name?
                                      Harriet Sugar Miller, Montreal