Re: [JewishKeidan] Datnova families from Keidan region

  • Edward E Just
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 21, 2011
      Hello Beverly,

      Kaplan/Caplan is a fairly common Jewish name.  So because my Caplan/Kaplan's came from central Lithuania - I've traced them back to 1790 - doesn't mean that all Kaplans came from there also.

      It might be interesting to see whether there might be a connection.

      What were your paternal grandmother's and great aunts' names?

      Do you have any additional information about them?  Dates?

      Ed Just

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 21, 2011
        In my experience, my Kaplan family lived in various shtetls and towns
        in Kovno Gebirne (province) at various times in the 18th/19th
        centuries, including Krakes, Grinkiskis, Ariogala and latterly Keidan
        for a short time. They moved around, for work, marriage etc. Even
        Kaplan families in the same town might not be related, unless they'd
        lived there for a long time and had connections way back.

        Harvey Kaplan
        Glasgow, Scotland