Re: [JewishKeidan] Datnova families from Keidan region

  • Beverly
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 21, 2011
      Shalom Edward,
          My paternal grandmother's maiden name is Caplin.  Her oldest 2 sisters and their parents were refugees who fled Russia.  We don't know specifically where from. I think you might have helped me find her family!!
                                  Thanks!
                                      BevyM

      From: shrnpnn <sharon@...>
      To: JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, March 20, 2011, 9:17 AM

      Shalom All!

      Our family is from Datnouva (Datnowa) just 9 km north of Kedian,

      Last names of Zell,Lipnick. our branches either immigrated to Baltimore, Israel, south Africa, or perished in the summer 1941 when the Jews of the town were marched out to the woods and shot.
      Are any you relatives out there? Feel free to contact me!

      Sharon Penn

    • Edward E Just
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 21, 2011
        Hello Beverly,

        Kaplan/Caplan is a fairly common Jewish name.  So because my Caplan/Kaplan's came from central Lithuania - I've traced them back to 1790 - doesn't mean that all Kaplans came from there also.

        It might be interesting to see whether there might be a connection.

        What were your paternal grandmother's and great aunts' names?

        Do you have any additional information about them?  Dates?

        Ed Just

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 21, 2011
          In my experience, my Kaplan family lived in various shtetls and towns
          in Kovno Gebirne (province) at various times in the 18th/19th
          centuries, including Krakes, Grinkiskis, Ariogala and latterly Keidan
          for a short time. They moved around, for work, marriage etc. Even
          Kaplan families in the same town might not be related, unless they'd
          lived there for a long time and had connections way back.

          Harvey Kaplan
          Glasgow, Scotland