Datnova families from Keidan region

  • shrnpnn
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 20, 2011
      Shalom All!

      Our family is from Datnouva (Datnowa) just 9 km north of Kedian,

      Last names of Zell,Lipnick. our branches either immigrated to Baltimore, Israel, south Africa, or perished in the summer 1941 when the Jews of the town were marched out to the woods and shot.
      Are any you relatives out there? Feel free to contact me!

      Sharon Penn
    • Edward E Just
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 20, 2011
        Hello Sharon,

        My pgm was a Kaplan/Caplan born in Vandziogala.  There are Kaplans listed in Dotnova but I haven't been able to directly link them.

        I've been to Dotnova and its (unmarked) cemetary.  The cemetary is in poor condition and in a wooded area.
        I have some photos of the town and cemetery.

        Edward Just

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 21, 2011
          Shalom Edward,
              My paternal grandmother's maiden name is Caplin.  Her oldest 2 sisters and their parents were refugees who fled Russia.  We don't know specifically where from. I think you might have helped me find her family!!
                                      Thanks!
                                          BevyM

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 21, 2011
            Hello Beverly,

            Kaplan/Caplan is a fairly common Jewish name.  So because my Caplan/Kaplan's came from central Lithuania - I've traced them back to 1790 - doesn't mean that all Kaplans came from there also.

            It might be interesting to see whether there might be a connection.

            What were your paternal grandmother's and great aunts' names?

            Do you have any additional information about them?  Dates?

            Ed Just

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 21, 2011
              In my experience, my Kaplan family lived in various shtetls and towns
              in Kovno Gebirne (province) at various times in the 18th/19th
              centuries, including Krakes, Grinkiskis, Ariogala and latterly Keidan
              for a short time. They moved around, for work, marriage etc. Even
              Kaplan families in the same town might not be related, unless they'd
              lived there for a long time and had connections way back.

              Harvey Kaplan
              Glasgow, Scotland