Keidan DNA connection?

  • Howard Wolinsky
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 13, 2011
       My ancestors came from Keidan, Lithuania. The family was named Sragan and I have tracked them to the early 1700s.
      Don't know how many of you have been DNA tested for family history purposes.
      I was in the first group tested at FamilyTreeDNA.com 10 years ago.
      I have a rare DNA group, G2c, and have matched few other people.
      I never expected to have an exact 67-marker match.
      And then I discovered I haveone. I received an e-mail from Rhoda Miller, who reported I had matched her cousin Alvin.
      (Hello Howard,
      I have recently learned that you are an exact Y67 match to my cousin Alvin Kayloe. The original surname is Kotlowitz. The family is originally from Orlya currently in Belarus but formerly Ru...ssian Poland in Vilna guberniya. The earlier origins of the family may have been elsewhere in Poland.
      I am wondering if this research is familiar to you in an attempt to find a connection.
      I look forward to hearing from you,
      Rhoda
      Past President, Jewish Genealogy Society of Long Island

      Alvin's people came from today's Belarus in what had been part of Lithuania.)
      Seems almost certain that our grandfathers shared a grandfather or great-grandfather back in the 1600s.
      It's suggested that my ancestors moved north to Keidan.
      I thought my family history was done. I have felt that way before. And I always get drawn back, now with the DNA research paying dividends.
      I always thought it would be interesting to DNA test a group like ours to see if any patterns and relationships emerge.
      Howard Wolinsky

    • Josh Weinstein
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 14, 2011
        Howard,
                     I agree on the value of dna testing. At the genealogical website Geni it appears that many Keidaners are interrelated However, I suspect that Keidan was large enough to have a complex genetic pattern. I am a J2a* on my Keidaner father's side and and have a 23/25 match from Keidan. I suspect our last common ancestor lived far from Keidan (Poland?, Prague?)  Ironically my closest matches came from families who lived some distance from Lithuania. That is, the Ashkenazi wandered so much that location is not the most dependable guide to genetic relationships.
                                                                            Josh

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 14, 2011
          Thanks, Josh
          I am a G2C
          If anyone else has been tested, maybe they can share their haplogroups.
          Howard

          On Monday, February 14, 2011, Josh Weinstein <jgw111@...> wrote:

          > Howard,             I agree on the value of dna testing. At the genealogical website Geni it appears that many Keidaners are interrelated However, I suspect that Keidan was large enough to have a complex genetic pattern. I am a J2a* on my Keidaner father's side and and have a 23/25 match from Keidan. I suspect our last common ancestor lived far from Keidan (Poland?, Prague?)  Ironically my closest matches came from families who lived some distance from Lithuania. That is, the Ashkenazi wandered so much that location is not the most dependable guide to genetic relationships.
          >  Josh

        • Harvey Kaplan
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 14, 2011
            I'm a J2!

            Harvey Kaplan, Glasgow, Scotland

            Kaplan/Fayn/Fine

            Kedainiai - Ariogala - Josvainiai - Krakes - Grinkiskis etc

            On 14 February 2011 20:42, Howard Wolinsky <howard.wolinsky@...> wrote:
            Thanks, Josh
            I am a G2C
            If anyone else has been tested, maybe they can share their haplogroups.
            Howard

            On Monday, February 14, 2011, Josh Weinstein <jgw111@...> wrote:

            >       Howard,             I agree on the value of dna testing. At the genealogical website Geni it appears that many Keidaners are interrelated However, I suspect that Keidan was large enough to have a complex genetic pattern. I am a J2a* on my Keidaner father's side and and have a 23/25 match from Keidan. I suspect our last common ancestor lived far from Keidan (Poland?, Prague?)  Ironically my closest matches came from families who lived some distance from Lithuania. That is, the Ashkenazi wandered so much that location is not the most dependable guide to genetic relationships.
            >   Josh

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               JewishKeidan-digest@yahoogroups.com
               JewishKeidan-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Josh Weinstein
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 14, 2011
              Thanks Harvey,   Any idea about the subclade of J2.  For those who have not been tested. J2 is a very common Jewish genetic line.(J does not stand for Jewish)

              Kedainiai - Ariogala - Josvainiai - Krakes - Grinkiskis etc

              On 14 February 2011 20:42, Howard Wolinsky <howard.wolinsky@...> wrote:
              Thanks, Josh
              I am a G2C
              If anyone else has been tested, maybe they can share their haplogroups.
              Howard

              On Monday, February 14, 2011, Josh Weinstein <jgw111@...> wrote:

              >       Howard,             I agree on the value of dna testing. At the genealogical website Geni it appears that many Keidaners are interrelated However, I suspect that Keidan was large enough to have a complex genetic pattern. I am a J2a* on my Keidaner father's side and and have a 23/25 match from Keidan. I suspect our last common ancestor lived far from Keidan (Poland?, Prague?)  Ironically my closest matches came from families who lived some distance from Lithuania. That is, the Ashkenazi wandered so much that location is not the most dependable guide to genetic relationships.
              >   Josh

              <*> Your email settings:
                 Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                 (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                 JewishKeidan-digest@yahoogroups.com
                 JewishKeidan-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Ken & Hap Camber
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 14, 2011
                Hi Howard,
                     My haplogroup is J1.
                        Ken Camber
              • Harvey Kaplan
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 15, 2011
                  I'll check - find it difficult to get my head round this! I was tested a few years ago via FamilyTree DNA, but haven't had any leads at all out of it.

                  Harvey

                  On 15 February 2011 00:34, Josh Weinstein <jgw111@...> wrote:

                  Thanks Harvey,   Any idea about the subclade of J2.  For those who have not been tested. J2 is a very common Jewish genetic line.(J does not stand for Jewish)

                  ---

                • Howard Wolinsky
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 15, 2011
                    @Harvey.
                    After 10 years of testing, I was surprisd to finally get a 67-marker match. We may never know from a paper trail how we're related, but it is clear from the DNA that we shared a common grandfather within 10 generations or so.
                    My goal in genetic testing wasn't to find close cousins but to find out what I could about our "migration" pattern. So fining this close match is a bonus.
                    Howard

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 15, 2011
                      J1 is also a very common Jewish line. With G2, J1 and J2 Keidan appears to be quite diverse genetically speaking. There is also a test for female ( mitochondrial) lines. My mother from Wilkomir had a match with a member of the Naviasky family, who had a branch in Keidan.
                    • Harvey Kaplan

                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 15, 2011
                          J-M172 defines J2.. You probably are J2a but J2b cannot be eliminated what more information.