Re: [JewishKeidan] 2011 memorial commemoration in New York

  • emily karmen
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 31, 2010
      Hi Andy,
      I would be very interested in attending with my husband and parents.  Please let me know of additional developments as the date approaches.
      Thanks,
      Emily Karmen

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 2, 2010
        Dear Andy and Fellow Keidaners,

        I too would be interested in attending the proposed ceremony to memorialize the destruction of Keidan in 1941. I hope we can get enough interest to make this happen in 2011. Martin Kagan has come up with similar good ideas in the past. Let's act on this one!

        Olga Zabludoff

        --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, "awcassel" <acassel@...> wrote:

        > Fellow Keidaners:
        >
        > As some of you are aware, Aug. 29, 2011 will mark the 70th anniversary of the mass murder that effectively put an end to the 500-year-old Jewish community of Keidan.
        >
        > As some of you also know, this date has been marked almost every year since 1941 by Keidaners and their descendents in Europe and Israel.
        >
        > I recently met with Martin Kagan, one of our most distinguished landsleit and himself a native of Keidan, whose family perished after he left in 1939. Now a resident of Manhattan, Martin has suggested--and I heartily agree--that it would be very appropriate to hold a similar memorial commemoration sometime next August in New York City.
        >
        > We would gather in the city to celebrate Keidan's history and remember the hundreds who were martyred there. If there is sufficient interest and we can raise the necessary funds, would also like to commission a stone memorial marker, to be placed in an appropriate location such as the Keidaner burial plot in Montefiore Cemetery in western Long Island.
        >
        > While next August is 10 months away, planning for such a gathering needs to begin soon. So I would like everyone who would be interested in attending to raise a virtual hand; send an email to the JewishKeidan list indicating your interest in attending and/or contributing.
        >
        > It would likely be held mid-day, last no more than a couple of hours, with perhaps some light refreshment afterward. I believe it could be a meaningful occasion for everyone with a connection to the history community of Keidan.
        >
        > Looking forward to hearing from you.
        >
        > Andy Cassel

      • Tamar Dothan
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 2, 2010
          To the Israelis among us,

          Our meeting last August to commemorate the Keidan Jewish community took place in the Holon cemetary. It was a very hot day, as August always is. There was a suggestion to try to interest more people in coming next year, on the 70th anniversary of the destruction of the community, and hold the meeting somewhere inside. Let's keep the idea alive.

          Tamar Dothan

        • Elaine and Lance Soller
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 2, 2010

            I would like to be involved.

            Lance Soller

            (Bank from Keidan)

            I too would be interested in attending the proposed ceremony to memorialize the destruction of Keidan in 1941. I hope we can get enough interest to make this happen in 2011. Martin Kagan has come up with similar good ideas in the past. Let's act on this one!

            Olga Zabludoff

          • Harry Keidan
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 3, 2010
              I too support having a memorial ceremony.  Harry W. Keidan

            • Barbera Levin
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 13, 2010

                Hi Andy,

                Much as I would hope to attend on 29 Aug. 2011 it is impossible as we live in London , UK . A further complicating factor is that my husband is suffering from severe arthritis which is debilitating. My father’s whole family was lost as were the families of all of us. Nonetheless I would be grateful if you keep me up to date on any further developments re: the memorial.

                Regards

                Barbara Levin