RE: [JewishKeidan] 2011 memorial commemoration in New York

  • Josh Weinstein
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 30, 2010
      Yes,  a very welcome suggestion.  There is also a plot in Queens, near JFK. Dick Plotz might be interested----Tobye Plotz is buried right near my grandparents, cousins of the Sagers
                             Josh Weinstein

      --- On Sat, 10/30/10, Alice Borden <asborden@...> wrote:

      From: Alice Borden <asborden@...>
      Subject: RE: [JewishKeidan] 2011 memorial commemoration in New York
      To: jewishkeidan@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, October 30, 2010, 9:41 PM

      There also a large Keidener Burial Plot in Washington Cemetery in Brooklyn.

      I think it is a wonderful idea. Alice Sager Borden

      To: JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com
      From: acassel@...
      Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 21:08:43 +0000

      Fellow Keidaners:

      As some of you are aware, Aug. 29, 2011 will mark the 70th anniversary of the mass murder that effectively put an end to the 500-year-old Jewish community of Keidan.

      As some of you also know, this date has been marked almost every year since 1941 by Keidaners and their descendents in Europe and Israel.

      I recently met with Martin Kagan, one of our most distinguished landsleit and himself a native of Keidan, whose family perished after he left in 1939. Now a resident of Manhattan, Martin has suggested--and I heartily agree--that it would be very appropriate to hold a similar memorial commemoration sometime next August in New York City.

      We would gather in the city to celebrate Keidan's history and remember the hundreds who were martyred there. If there is sufficient interest and we can raise the necessary funds, would also like to commission a stone memorial marker, to be placed in an appropriate location such as the Keidaner burial plot in Montefiore Cemetery in western Long Island.

      While next August is 10 months away, planning for such a gathering needs to begin soon. So I would like everyone who would be interested in attending to raise a virtual hand; send an email to the JewishKeidan list indicating your interest in attending and/or contributing.

      It would likely be held mid-day, last no more than a couple of hours, with perhaps some light refreshment afterward. I believe it could be a meaningful occasion for everyone with a connection to the history community of Keidan.

      Looking forward to hearing from you.

      Andy Cassel

    • mrrafe@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 30, 2010
        I would hope to attend such a ceremony next August although I don't yet know my exact schedule.

        The plot described by Josh Weinstein probably is at Old Montefiore Cemetery, the same Queens NY cemetery mentioned in Andy Cassel's note (below).  My grandparents and uncles and, probably, Mr. Cassel's ancestors helped organize the Keidaner Burial Plot there.
          I hope I didn't create any confusion.  There is another Montefiore cemetery on Long Island but the Keidaner plot is at the 'old' location. Many Keidaners are not near New York, but I hope it is convenient enough for a decent turnout.

          I would hope to attend such a ceremony next August although I don't yet know my exact schedule.

          The plot described by Josh Weinstein probably is at Old Montefiore Cemetery, the same Queens NY cemetery mentioned in Andy Cassel's note (below).  My grandparents and uncles and, probably, Mr. Cassel's ancestors helped organize the Keidaner Burial Plot there.
            There is a large keidaner section at waldheim cemetary in chicago area where my grandparents and extended family are. It is called the keidaner section. They were crosts related to my Krost cousin in Johannesburg Cuba and Brazil

            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            From: mrrafe@...
            Sender: JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 23:47:33 -0400
            To: <JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com

            I would hope to attend such a ceremony next August although I don't yet know my exact schedule.

            The plot described by Josh Weinstein probably is at Old Montefiore Cemetery, the same Queens NY cemetery mentioned in Andy Cassel's note (below).  My grandparents and uncles and, probably, Mr. Cassel's ancestors helped organize the Keidaner Burial Plot there.
              Just to clarify: Our idea is to hold a gathering somewhere convenient for those traveling into New York, probably in Manhattan. The specific location is yet to be determined. The first question is whether enough people would make time to attend. If all who are interested would so indicate in the next couple of weeks, we can decide whether to proceed with planning.

              Please send an email either here or to me directly at acassel@..., and also pass the word to anyone you know who's not on the list. Many thanks.

              Andy

              JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, Josh Weinstein <jgw111@...> wrote:

              > I hope I didn't create any confusion.  There is another Montefiore cemetery on Long Island but the Keidaner plot is at the 'old' location. Many Keidaners are not near New York, but I hope it is convenient enough for a decent turnout.

            • emily karmen
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 31, 2010
              • Yes,  a very welcome suggestion.  There is also a plot in Queens, near JFK. Dick Plotz might be interested----Tobye Plotz is buried right near my grandparents, cousins of the Sagers
                                       Josh Weinstein

                Hi Andy,
                I would be very interested in attending with my husband and parents.  Please let me know of additional developments as the date approaches.
                Thanks,
                Emily Karmen

                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 2, 2010
                  Dear Andy and Fellow Keidaners,

                  I too would be interested in attending the proposed ceremony to memorialize the destruction of Keidan in 1941. I hope we can get enough interest to make this happen in 2011. Martin Kagan has come up with similar good ideas in the past. Let's act on this one!

                  Olga Zabludoff

                  --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, "awcassel" <acassel@...> wrote:

                  > Fellow Keidaners:
                  >
                  > As some of you are aware, Aug. 29, 2011 will mark the 70th anniversary of the mass murder that effectively put an end to the 500-year-old Jewish community of Keidan.
                  >
                  > As some of you also know, this date has been marked almost every year since 1941 by Keidaners and their descendents in Europe and Israel.
                  >
                  > I recently met with Martin Kagan, one of our most distinguished landsleit and himself a native of Keidan, whose family perished after he left in 1939. Now a resident of Manhattan, Martin has suggested--and I heartily agree--that it would be very appropriate to hold a similar memorial commemoration sometime next August in New York City.
                  >
                  > We would gather in the city to celebrate Keidan's history and remember the hundreds who were martyred there. If there is sufficient interest and we can raise the necessary funds, would also like to commission a stone memorial marker, to be placed in an appropriate location such as the Keidaner burial plot in Montefiore Cemetery in western Long Island.
                  >
                  > While next August is 10 months away, planning for such a gathering needs to begin soon. So I would like everyone who would be interested in attending to raise a virtual hand; send an email to the JewishKeidan list indicating your interest in attending and/or contributing.
                  >
                  > It would likely be held mid-day, last no more than a couple of hours, with perhaps some light refreshment afterward. I believe it could be a meaningful occasion for everyone with a connection to the history community of Keidan.
                  >
                  > Looking forward to hearing from you.
                  >
                  > Andy Cassel

                • Tamar Dothan
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 2, 2010
                    To the Israelis among us,

                    Our meeting last August to commemorate the Keidan Jewish community took place in the Holon cemetary. It was a very hot day, as August always is. There was a suggestion to try to interest more people in coming next year, on the 70th anniversary of the destruction of the community, and hold the meeting somewhere inside. Let's keep the idea alive.

                    Tamar Dothan

                  • Elaine and Lance Soller
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 2, 2010

                      I would like to be involved.

                      Lance Soller

                      (Bank from Keidan)

                      I too would be interested in attending the proposed ceremony to memorialize the destruction of Keidan in 1941. I hope we can get enough interest to make this happen in 2011. Martin Kagan has come up with similar good ideas in the past. Let's act on this one!

                      Olga Zabludoff

                    • Harry Keidan
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 3, 2010
                        I too support having a memorial ceremony.  Harry W. Keidan

                      • Barbera Levin
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 13, 2010

                          Hi Andy,

                          Much as I would hope to attend on 29 Aug. 2011 it is impossible as we live in London , UK . A further complicating factor is that my husband is suffering from severe arthritis which is debilitating. My father’s whole family was lost as were the families of all of us. Nonetheless I would be grateful if you keep me up to date on any further developments re: the memorial.

                          Regards

                          Barbara Levin