Re: [JewishKeidan] Is "Kagan" another 'Ellis Island' spelling of "Keidan"?

  • Joshua Solomon
    Message 1 of 12 , May 10, 2010
      No.  Kagan is actually a variant of Cohen.  In the Russian language, there is no "h" sound.  The name was probably written down in the Ukrainian or Belarusian spellings (which do have an "h" sound), and the letter representing the "h" sound in those languages instead represents the "g" sound in Russian.  Hence, Cohen --> Kahan --> Kagan.

    • Charles KADIN
      Message 2 of 12 , May 13, 2010
        You will note that my last name is Kadin. This name was established at the turn of the
        last century, in New York City by my great Uncle Samuel W. Kadin.

        The name evolved from Kedainiai,became Kaidan, from  where my family must have originated.
        My father was born in the Mir, Russia a border village with a good Yeshivah on the Polish border
        just a few Km from the Lithuanian line.

        One of my dad's brothers attended the Mir Yeshivah and the other attended the Vilna Yeshivah.
        As you may know, the entire area was once the domain of the Prussian Empire. Thus I speak
        a yiddish similar to middle German, even though I was born in Canada.

        If you already have not read THE JEWS of LITHUANIA, by Masha Greenbaum, published by
        Gefen Publishing House Ltd. Jerusalem, Israel....I think you would find this of interest.

        I hope this is of interest to you.

        charles Kadin