Looking for a guide

  • Harriet Sugar Miller
    Message 1 of 12 , May 4, 2010
      Looking for a guide

      I'll be going to Keidan in mid June (as well as to nearby areas) and would like to find a guide there. Anybody know someone good? Who has been there recently?

      Harriet Sugar Miller, Montreal
      Great-great granddaughter of Max Dizun, cattle farmer from Keidan (family became Weinstein and settled in southeastern North Carolina…I couldn't take the heat)

    • Howard Wolinsky
      Message 2 of 12 , May 4, 2010
        I was in Keidan wutrh my family two years ago. We went with Simon, the curator of Sugihara House in Kaunas. Simon is a native Lithuanian and very knowledgeable with pretty good English. He also escorted us around Kaunas, the Baltic and into Latvia.
        He's thoughtful about expenses--even saved us some money in Riga when he realized we had been cited an "in-season" rate in a beautiful hotel but were entitled to the off-season rate.
        Please write to howard.wolinsky@... if you have any questions or want to see my photos online taken in Lithuania.
        Howard Wolinsky

        On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 6:11 AM, Harriet Sugar Miller <hsugarmill@...> wrote:

        I'll be going to Keidan in mid June (as well as to nearby areas) and would like to find a guide there. Anybody know someone good? Who has been there recently?

        Harriet Sugar Miller, Montreal
        Great-great granddaughter of Max Dizun, cattle farmer from Keidan (family became Weinstein and settled in southeastern North Carolina…I couldn't take the heat)

      • Avshi Hittin
        Message 3 of 12 , May 4, 2010

          HI, I HEARD ABOUT MR. GUREVICH – LIVED IN VILNA @ TOP GUIDE ALL OVER LITUENIA. ANYWAY – MAYBE YOUR G. PAPA TOOK MY G. PAPA'S COW TO EAT THE GRASS, THERE, IN THE OLD TIME IN KEIDANY….

          HAVE AN INTEREST TOUR.

          AVSHI. B.Z. IL

          I'll be going to Keidan in mid June (as well as to nearby areas) and would like to find a guide there. Anybody know someone good? Who has been there recently?

          Harriet Sugar Miller, Montreal
          Great-great granddaughter of Max Dizun, cattle farmer from Keidan (family became Weinstein and settled in southeastern North Carolina …I couldn't take the heat)

          http://www.eset.com
        • Barbera Levin
          Message 4 of 12 , May 5, 2010

            Hi Harriet,

            A friend of mine went to Vilna and Keidan some years ago and had a great guide. I have left a message for her to contact me with the name of the woman should she remember. If she does I will email you.

            Regards

            Barbara Levin London UK .

            I'll be going to Keidan in mid June (as well as to nearby areas) and would like to find a guide there. Anybody know someone good? Who has been there recently?

            Harriet Sugar Miller, Montreal
            Great-great granddaughter of Max Dizun, cattle farmer from Keidan (family became Weinstein and settled in southeastern North Carolina …I couldn't take the heat)

          • Ben-Tsion
            Message 5 of 12 , May 5, 2010

              Maybe your guide's name was Regina Kopilovich, who knows Vilna (and Keidan as well).

              Ben-Tsion Klibansky

                Message 7 of 12 , May 5, 2010
                  Hi,
                  I've been there three times and it's really not necessary to take a guide.  It's right next to the main highway and you can easily fly Ryanair to Kaunas and rent a car and you are there.  There is an English language guidebook, Kedainiai in Your Pocket:
                  http://www.inyourpocket.com/lithuania/ke
                  where you can find out where to stay and where to eat and where the places of Jewish life and martyrdom are located as well as other more general places of interest.  There is a tourist office with a big "I" on it in the main square and English-language speaking people inside.  The last time I was there, I met tourists from Sweden and Finland and they were part of a large wave of tourists using Kedainiai as a rest stop.  It's not like the old days!

                  LIthuania isn't Belarus and so it isn't necessary to take a guide. On the other hand, if anybody can recommend a guide for individual travel to Belarus, I would be very interested in that recommendation.  I'm going to Mir, Nesvizh, Navahrudak, Dyatlova, Slonim, Lida and Hrodna this summer and I must get a guide.  Thanks!
                  Lynn Lubamersky

                • m jv
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 6, 2010
                    Hello, I am sure that great guid was Regina Kopilevic, her email miregina@...
                    Milda

                    A friend of mine went to Vilna and Keidan some years ago and had a great guide. I have left a message for her to contact me with the name of the woman should she remember. If she does I will email you.

                    Regards

                    Barbara Levin London UK .

                    I'll be going to Keidan in mid June (as well as to nearby areas) and would like to find a guide there. Anybody know someone good? Who has been there recently?

                    Harriet Sugar Miller, Montreal
                    Great-great granddaughter of Max Dizun, cattle farmer from Keidan (family became Weinstein and settled in southeastern North Carolina …I couldn't take the heat)

                  • Harry W. Keidan
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 10, 2010

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 10, 2010
                        No. It's a Russified (no 'h') spelling of "Kahan" or "Cohen"
                      • Joshua Solomon
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 10, 2010
                          No.  Kagan is actually a variant of Cohen.  In the Russian language, there is no "h" sound.  The name was probably written down in the Ukrainian or Belarusian spellings (which do have an "h" sound), and the letter representing the "h" sound in those languages instead represents the "g" sound in Russian.  Hence, Cohen --> Kahan --> Kagan.

                        • Charles KADIN
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 13, 2010
                            You will note that my last name is Kadin. This name was established at the turn of the
                            last century, in New York City by my great Uncle Samuel W. Kadin.

                            The name evolved from Kedainiai,became Kaidan, from  where my family must have originated.
                            My father was born in the Mir, Russia a border village with a good Yeshivah on the Polish border
                            just a few Km from the Lithuanian line.

                            One of my dad's brothers attended the Mir Yeshivah and the other attended the Vilna Yeshivah.
                            As you may know, the entire area was once the domain of the Prussian Empire. Thus I speak
                            a yiddish similar to middle German, even though I was born in Canada.

                            If you already have not read THE JEWS of LITHUANIA, by Masha Greenbaum, published by
                            Gefen Publishing House Ltd. Jerusalem, Israel....I think you would find this of interest.

                            I hope this is of interest to you.

                            charles Kadin