RE: [JewishKeidan] Keidaner Association

  • EK207@COLUMBIA.EDU
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 11, 2005
      Hello,
      I received this email along with the other Keidan yahoo group
      members and if you're looking for more information about former
      Keidaner Association members, I can offer a little about my great
      grandfather, George Sang. Maybe you can give me some information,
      too? He is listed as one of the board members in the 30's, I think.
      He's buried with his wife Sara at Montefiore Cemetery in Queens in
      the Keidaner section. They both died in the early sixties, and
      their daughter, Sylvia (my grandmother) died in the early eighties.
      I've been trying to do some geneological research on my family
      history, but haven't found much because almost everyone has passed
      away! Anyway, if there's any more information I can offer, please
      let me know. Likewise, if you know anyting,I'd love to hear.
      Thanks very much.
      Emily Karmen
    • EK207@COLUMBIA.EDU
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 11, 2005
        Dear Andy,

        Do you or anyone else you know read Yiddish? I have a letter from my
        great grandfather to his cousin in Israel from 1937 and have no way
        of reading it. Would you know of someone who can translate it?

        Thanks very much!
        Emily Karmen
      • Harvey
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 12, 2005

          At long last I am going to Lithuania!

          I will fly Glasgow-London Gatwick- Vilnius on 17 September, returning on
          25th Sept. I hope to visit:

          Vilnius, Kaunas, Kedainiai, Josvainiai, and Ariogala.

          I expect to be based in Kedainiai for some of the time, as the other
          places are relatively close.

          Will report back on what I see and find.

          Any suggestions and advice welcome.

          Happy for this to be posted to the group.

          Best wishes,

          Harvey

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 12, 2005
            Harvey,

            Congratulations. I know you'll have a wonderful time. Be sure to look
            in on the restored synagogue and bes-midrash buildings in Keidan, and
            if you have the chance, look up Rimantas Zirgulas, who runs the
            Kedainiai regional museum. Will you be working with a guide? If so, you
            should contact Reginia Kopilevich in Vilnius; I can provide an email
            and phone if you need one. Take good notes and lots of photos, and
            report back when you return. Safe journey!

            Andy
          • lynn lubamersky
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 12, 2005
              Hi Harvey,
              You might already know this, but when I go to
              Lithuania I look at the "In Your Pocket" guide website
              and buy a copy of the guide at the newstand when I get
              there. Here is the site for Kaunas:

              http://www.inyourpocket.com/lithuania/kaunas/en/

              When we were in Kedainiai the year before last, we
              stayed in Kaunas at the really great guesthouse
              recommended by the "Kaunas in your pocket" guide. We
              rented a car and drove all over Lithuania. Unlike our
              first trip to Lithuania in 1996, the roads are now
              full of Scandinavian tourists driving down the via
              Baltica, filling up at the 24-hour gas station. You
              could be in the U.K. or anywhere in Europe.
              Travelling in Lithuania is not the difficult
              experience it once was. Have a good trip!
              -Lynn Lubamersky