Can Anyone Offer Help or Advise?

  • Alan Shirk
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 12, 2009
      Researching  family name Shirk from Keidan, got as far Selig "Jacob" Shirk born about 1861and spouse Tobie born about 1861. He was from Keidan/Kaunas, she i dont know. got as far as Keiden tax rolls 1840 that list 7 shirks included a Zelig, who may or may not be the fatherof the as  not  yet born Selig.? Go to Keidan via Keidan Society web page 1940 that made mention of the passing of Abraham 1928. Can you steer me in the right direction, or is anyone out their that has relevant information that would be helpful. Always thought my Fathers family had German roots, although that could still be true based on the ethnic .mix of the Jewish community of Keidan What is Kaunas in relation to Keidan, is it a state or a district in Lithunia? Always  thought Shirk was an uncommon Jewish name with
      so many non Jewish Shirks of Amish, Mennonite or German gentile origins. Any help would be appeciated from fellow Landsmen

    • Doug Kadan
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 13, 2009
        sorry I can be of no help at this time but will keep alert.

        Best,

        Doug Kadan

        KADAN
        PHOTO
        GROUP

        Coming in January KADAN PHOTO POD

[...]

      • Avshi Hittin
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 13, 2009

          HI ALAN. KAUNAS = KOVNA /KOVNO. A MAIN CITY IN LITHUENIA. NOT SO FAR AWAY FROM KEIDAN. I STILL HAVE THE "AGFA" CAMERA 6X9 MY FATHER BOUGHT THERE IN KEIDANI 1928 (+ ONE YEAR GARANTY) AT "FOTO KAGAN" – LOOK "EPIS" ATIKITET V.S.V THE NICE "KADAN PHOTO POD" PHOTO. TRY TO LOOK IN TELEPHONE BOOK FOR THE NAME SHIRK…

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 13, 2009
            Check the memoir by Bernard Gershon Richards on the Keidan.net site.

            http://home.comcast.net/~acassel/keidan/bgrichards/bgr1.html

            Particularly this passage:

            My maternal grandfather, Yakov Herz Sirk -- everybody called him Herz Yankel -- usually rose with the first signs of dawn. Often he got ahead of the dawn. "I work fast, I eat fast, I sleep fast," he would say. He loved company and conversation so much that whichever grandson was staying with him at the time was roused from his' sleep soon after the fire was lighted and the morning activities begun. His method of waking the household was to walk through all the rooms and call out, "Get up, kinder - it's six, seven, eight, nine o'clock! Get up, kinder." Or he would announce to my grandmother that it was high time to get up and start household affairs going because "der bettler is schein in zibetn dorf! (the itinerant beggar has already reached his seventh village!)."

            I think we can assume "Sirk" and "Shirk" are alternate spellings of the same name.

            All best,

            Andy

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 13, 2009
              Hello, Alan,

              I have been the coordinator of the Keidan Vital Records Project for LitvakSIG for many years. We have completed the translation of all the Keidan birth records, marriage, divorce and death records. The period covered is 1854-1914. In addition, we have also translated the 20th century Keidan Rabbinate Vital Records (1922-1939). There are a good number of SIRK records in the various files. The earliest SIRK birth recorded was in 1854. The latest SIRK death recorded was in 1899. All of these records are online in the All Lithuania Database [http://www.litvaksig.org/all.htm%5d

              But if you prefer to have the records on your own computer, you can join the Keidan Vital Records Project with a $100 contribution to LitvakSIG. The files will be sent to you as Excel spreadsheets. Let me know if you are interested and I will forward instructions on how to make the contribution to LitvakSIG.

              Olga Zabludoff

              --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, Alan Shirk <alan1188gc@...> wrote:

              > Researching  family name Shirk from Keidan, got as far Selig "Jacob" Shirk born about 1861and spouse Tobie born about 1861. He was from Keidan/Kaunas, she i dont know. got as far as Keiden tax rolls 1840 that list 7 shirks included a Zelig, who may or may not be the fatherof the as  not  yet born Selig.? Go to Keidan via Keidan Society web page 1940 that made mention of the passing of Abraham 1928. Can you steer me in the right direction, or is anyone out their that has relevant information that would be helpful. Always thought my Fathers family had German roots, although that could still be true based on the ethnic .mix of the Jewish community of Keidan What is Kaunas in relation to Keidan, is it a state or a district in Lithunia? Always  thought Shirk was an uncommon Jewish name with
              > so many non Jewish Shirks of Amish, Mennonite or German gentile origins. Any help would be appeciated from fellow Landsmen

            • Josh Weinstein
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 13, 2009
                Hi Alan,
                            I have a very limited amount of information about the Sirks. My paternal grandmother Feige Elle Leibert (Lebetky, various spellings) was related to the Sirks but I don't know the specifics. I have a 20 year old family mailing list which includes Paul Sirk of Randolph, Mass. The Keidan vital records contains listings for Sirks, but a quick review did not indicate any Shirks. On the other hand, the membership list for the 1930 NY Keidaner Society includes a listing for Barney Shirk. That is about all I know.
                                                                                         Josh Weinstein