Keidan ghetto

  • lynn lubamersky
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 7, 2005
      Dear Jewish Keidan group,
      I am seeking information on the Keidan ghetto during
      the Shoah. I have seen it mentioned in the Yizkor
      book and also in an encyclopedia entry. If there are
      survivor accounts that mention the ghetto, I would be
      interested in reading them. Of course, if there are
      any survivors who are members of the list, I would be
      interested in hearing from you on or off list.

      I am beginning a research project on the history of
      Keidan from its founding until the present day. The
      "Hole in the Heart" website is a great tribute to the
      world that was lost. My compliments to Andrew Cassel.
      Thanks.
      Lynn Lubamersky
      Associate Professor of History
      Boise State University, Boise ID 83725 USA
      208-426-3358

      __________________________________
      Discover Yahoo!
      http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html
    • A. Cassel
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 7, 2005
        Dear Lynn,

        Thanks so much for your complimentary note. I'm delighted the website is proving useful in your research.

        The short answer to your question regarding Keidan in the Shoah, is that there wasn't a Keidan ghetto -- at least not one that existed for very long. The mass murder of Keidan's Jews took place late in August, 1941, only a few weeks after the Nazis entered Lithuania. There is an account of the community's destruction on the website, written by the Keidan-born-and-raised poet and essayist Dovid Wolpe (who I believe still lives in Johannesburg, now well into his 90s.) Another appears in the Keidan Yizkor Book, which was published in 1977 by the Keidaner association in Israel. I have a translation and would be happy to share it with you. Both accounts, along with a third that appears in a book by Ephraim Oshry, rely on the testimony of Chaim Ronder, one of a handful of survivors to witness the slaughter.

        If you are really interested in researching the history of Keidan, you might want to know that a "pinkas" for the community survives at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem. This is a record book kept by the Chevra Kadisha, or burial society, from the 1600s through about 1925. I was sent a xerox copy once, and we considered starting a project to translate it. But the book is so long, the handwriting is so difficult, and the quality of the copy so uneven, that I can't see how anyone who isn't a very dedicated scholar could even attempt it, and even then it would certainly take many years.

        I do have a number of documents that aren't on the website, and I'd be happy to share these if you're interested. Please feel free to send along any questions.

      • EK207@COLUMBIA.EDU
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 11, 2005
          Hello,
          I received this email along with the other Keidan yahoo group
          members and if you're looking for more information about former
          Keidaner Association members, I can offer a little about my great
          grandfather, George Sang. Maybe you can give me some information,
          too? He is listed as one of the board members in the 30's, I think.
          He's buried with his wife Sara at Montefiore Cemetery in Queens in
          the Keidaner section. They both died in the early sixties, and
          their daughter, Sylvia (my grandmother) died in the early eighties.
          I've been trying to do some geneological research on my family
          history, but haven't found much because almost everyone has passed
          away! Anyway, if there's any more information I can offer, please
          let me know. Likewise, if you know anyting,I'd love to hear.
          Thanks very much.
          Emily Karmen
        • EK207@COLUMBIA.EDU
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 11, 2005
            Dear Andy,

            Do you or anyone else you know read Yiddish? I have a letter from my
            great grandfather to his cousin in Israel from 1937 and have no way
            of reading it. Would you know of someone who can translate it?

            Thanks very much!
            Emily Karmen
          • Harvey
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 12, 2005

              At long last I am going to Lithuania!

              I will fly Glasgow-London Gatwick- Vilnius on 17 September, returning on
              25th Sept. I hope to visit:

              Vilnius, Kaunas, Kedainiai, Josvainiai, and Ariogala.

              I expect to be based in Kedainiai for some of the time, as the other
              places are relatively close.

              Will report back on what I see and find.

              Any suggestions and advice welcome.

              Happy for this to be posted to the group.

              Best wishes,

              Harvey

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 12, 2005
                Harvey,

                Congratulations. I know you'll have a wonderful time. Be sure to look
                in on the restored synagogue and bes-midrash buildings in Keidan, and
                if you have the chance, look up Rimantas Zirgulas, who runs the
                Kedainiai regional museum. Will you be working with a guide? If so, you
                should contact Reginia Kopilevich in Vilnius; I can provide an email
                and phone if you need one. Take good notes and lots of photos, and
                report back when you return. Safe journey!

                Andy
              • lynn lubamersky
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 12, 2005
                  Hi Harvey,
                  You might already know this, but when I go to
                  Lithuania I look at the "In Your Pocket" guide website
                  and buy a copy of the guide at the newstand when I get
                  there. Here is the site for Kaunas:

                  http://www.inyourpocket.com/lithuania/kaunas/en/

                  When we were in Kedainiai the year before last, we
                  stayed in Kaunas at the really great guesthouse
                  recommended by the "Kaunas in your pocket" guide. We
                  rented a car and drove all over Lithuania. Unlike our
                  first trip to Lithuania in 1996, the roads are now
                  full of Scandinavian tourists driving down the via
                  Baltica, filling up at the 24-hour gas station. You
                  could be in the U.K. or anywhere in Europe.
                  Travelling in Lithuania is not the difficult
                  experience it once was. Have a good trip!
                  -Lynn Lubamersky