RE: [JewishKeidan] Re: Keidaner Association

  • A. Cassel
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 5, 2005
      Welcome Margery! It's good to hear from you. Descendents of Keidaners are all over the place, from New York to Johannesburg to Australia to Argentina. In fact, just the other day I received this note from an Argentine email address:

      ---

      I am Arnaldo Krawicky, son of Abrham Kravitzky that was the rabbi's brother Efraim Slomo Kravitzky that directed the yeshiva of Keidan and he died in the Shoa.
      I want he knows if there is family of the alive rebe and if there are more data of their life
      Thank you
      Arnaldo

      ---

      I've invited Arnaldo to join the list, but haven't heard from him so far. Hopefully he'll tell us more about his family and history. Margery, if you're in NYC, you might be interested in looking up Martin Kagan, who emigrated from Keidan to New York in 1939, just before the Shoah, as a 19-year-old youth, and was welcomed by the members of the Keidaner Association (likely including your grandfather.) Martin is a wonderful man who vividly recalls life in Keidan itself during the interwar period. If you're interested, contact me privately and I'll give you the particulars.

      Another NY-based Keidaner descendent is the actor, Hal Linden. His father was Charles Lipshitz, who served as president of the Keidaner Association in the late 30s. I've tried, so far unsuccessfully, to contact Linden about his recollections of the group. (Any help would be appreciated.)

      Is the 'log' you found among your grandfather's things the "zamel bukh" from 1930? My grandfather was the editor of that volume, copies of which are very rare today. There's one in the NY Public Library (42nd St. branch, Judaica collection) and another at YIVO. I have one, which sat on my father's shelf for 60 years before I 'confiscated' it and had it translated in 1990. That began my odyssey of exploration into Keidan and its far-flung children.

      Please let me know if you have further questions. All the best,

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 5, 2005
        Thanks, Andy, for your reply re. Margery Cohen's question. She has
        joined the group.

        Best regards,
        Olga
      • lynn lubamersky
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 7, 2005
          Dear Jewish Keidan group,
          I am seeking information on the Keidan ghetto during
          the Shoah. I have seen it mentioned in the Yizkor
          book and also in an encyclopedia entry. If there are
          survivor accounts that mention the ghetto, I would be
          interested in reading them. Of course, if there are
          any survivors who are members of the list, I would be
          interested in hearing from you on or off list.

          I am beginning a research project on the history of
          Keidan from its founding until the present day. The
          "Hole in the Heart" website is a great tribute to the
          world that was lost. My compliments to Andrew Cassel.
          Thanks.
          Lynn Lubamersky
          Associate Professor of History
          Boise State University, Boise ID 83725 USA
          208-426-3358

          __________________________________
          Discover Yahoo!
          http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html
        • A. Cassel
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 7, 2005
            Dear Lynn,

            Thanks so much for your complimentary note. I'm delighted the website is proving useful in your research.

            The short answer to your question regarding Keidan in the Shoah, is that there wasn't a Keidan ghetto -- at least not one that existed for very long. The mass murder of Keidan's Jews took place late in August, 1941, only a few weeks after the Nazis entered Lithuania. There is an account of the community's destruction on the website, written by the Keidan-born-and-raised poet and essayist Dovid Wolpe (who I believe still lives in Johannesburg, now well into his 90s.) Another appears in the Keidan Yizkor Book, which was published in 1977 by the Keidaner association in Israel. I have a translation and would be happy to share it with you. Both accounts, along with a third that appears in a book by Ephraim Oshry, rely on the testimony of Chaim Ronder, one of a handful of survivors to witness the slaughter.

            If you are really interested in researching the history of Keidan, you might want to know that a "pinkas" for the community survives at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem. This is a record book kept by the Chevra Kadisha, or burial society, from the 1600s through about 1925. I was sent a xerox copy once, and we considered starting a project to translate it. But the book is so long, the handwriting is so difficult, and the quality of the copy so uneven, that I can't see how anyone who isn't a very dedicated scholar could even attempt it, and even then it would certainly take many years.

            I do have a number of documents that aren't on the website, and I'd be happy to share these if you're interested. Please feel free to send along any questions.

          • EK207@COLUMBIA.EDU
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 11, 2005
              Hello,
              I received this email along with the other Keidan yahoo group
              members and if you're looking for more information about former
              Keidaner Association members, I can offer a little about my great
              grandfather, George Sang. Maybe you can give me some information,
              too? He is listed as one of the board members in the 30's, I think.
              He's buried with his wife Sara at Montefiore Cemetery in Queens in
              the Keidaner section. They both died in the early sixties, and
              their daughter, Sylvia (my grandmother) died in the early eighties.
              I've been trying to do some geneological research on my family
              history, but haven't found much because almost everyone has passed
              away! Anyway, if there's any more information I can offer, please
              let me know. Likewise, if you know anyting,I'd love to hear.
              Thanks very much.
              Emily Karmen
            • EK207@COLUMBIA.EDU
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 11, 2005
                Dear Andy,

                Do you or anyone else you know read Yiddish? I have a letter from my
                great grandfather to his cousin in Israel from 1937 and have no way
                of reading it. Would you know of someone who can translate it?

                Thanks very much!
                Emily Karmen
              • Harvey
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 12, 2005

                  At long last I am going to Lithuania!

                  I will fly Glasgow-London Gatwick- Vilnius on 17 September, returning on
                  25th Sept. I hope to visit:

                  Vilnius, Kaunas, Kedainiai, Josvainiai, and Ariogala.

                  I expect to be based in Kedainiai for some of the time, as the other
                  places are relatively close.

                  Will report back on what I see and find.

                  Any suggestions and advice welcome.

                  Happy for this to be posted to the group.

                  Best wishes,

                  Harvey

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 12, 2005
                    Harvey,

                    Congratulations. I know you'll have a wonderful time. Be sure to look
                    in on the restored synagogue and bes-midrash buildings in Keidan, and
                    if you have the chance, look up Rimantas Zirgulas, who runs the
                    Kedainiai regional museum. Will you be working with a guide? If so, you
                    should contact Reginia Kopilevich in Vilnius; I can provide an email
                    and phone if you need one. Take good notes and lots of photos, and
                    report back when you return. Safe journey!

                    Andy
                  • lynn lubamersky
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 12, 2005
                      Hi Harvey,
                      You might already know this, but when I go to
                      Lithuania I look at the "In Your Pocket" guide website
                      and buy a copy of the guide at the newstand when I get
                      there. Here is the site for Kaunas:

                      http://www.inyourpocket.com/lithuania/kaunas/en/

                      When we were in Kedainiai the year before last, we
                      stayed in Kaunas at the really great guesthouse
                      recommended by the "Kaunas in your pocket" guide. We
                      rented a car and drove all over Lithuania. Unlike our
                      first trip to Lithuania in 1996, the roads are now
                      full of Scandinavian tourists driving down the via
                      Baltica, filling up at the 24-hour gas station. You
                      could be in the U.K. or anywhere in Europe.
                      Travelling in Lithuania is not the difficult
                      experience it once was. Have a good trip!
                      -Lynn Lubamersky