[JewishKeidan] Shiva Kruim

  • Ben-Tsion
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2004
      Andy,

      "Shiva Kruim" are the seven people called to the Torah reading at the
      Shabbath morning prayer. Usually, the reading is divided into seven parts,
      but there is a possibility to call more than seven people; this synagogue's
      rule required not to add more people. I don't know the origin of this
      phrase, but it seems that it is not too ancient.
      In your father's book, p. 25, he mentions a special habit used in this
      synagogue.

      I thought that the big shul in the shulhoyf was the Shiva Kruim one, as, if
      I don't have a mistake, when I showed my late uncle its photograph (which I
      took while visiting Keidan four years ago), he told me that this is the
      Shiva Kruim (my grandfather and his father-in-law used to pray in Shiva
      Kruim shul). Anyway, it wasn't the name of the Beis-Midrash.
      When the Lithuanian Yeshivas escaped from Lithuanian Poland towards Vilna in
      1939, the Lithuanian regime required that they leave Vilna and settle in the
      smaller towns. The Mir Yeshiva settled in Keidan, and I believe that they
      studied in this Beis-Midrash for about a year! (this Yeshiva was the only
      one that was rescued with almost all its students, while passing through
      Japan, and living in Shanghai for 5 years).

      Ben-Tsion Klibansky