Re: Welcome

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 23, 2004
      Shalom Ben-Tsion, and thanks for your note.

      The pictures from Ellen Cassedy are both from the former 'shulhoyf' -
      - the main complex of religious buildings that were at the core of
      Jewish Keidan. I think the one with the statues was the 'groyse
      shul', also known as the 'kalte shul' because it was not heated and
      was thus used only in the warmer months. My grandfather's story
      about Simchas Torah describes the building in great detail, so I
      guess they used it until after the High Holidays. The other building
      is the 'bes medresh' or study house -- which was also a synagogue,
      but was that also called the 'shiva kru'im'? I had thought that was
      the name of one of the smaller 'shtiblekh' used by such minyans as
      the gravediggers, tailors or former soldiers from the Czar's army.

      Also, how would you translate 'shiva kru'im' into English? Is it
      Seven Guests? And do you know the origin of that name? Is it a
      reference to something in the Bible, or Talmud?

      Best,