Re: Proposed Keidan Memorial Plaque

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 33 , Feb 15, 2009
      Thanks, Ada, and to all of those of you who responded. I always
      learn a great deal whenever I hear from you, Ada, and you all have
      given me something worth considering.
      I suppose it largely comes down to a question of whether to
      memorialize the victims or to mark the spot where they died, and it
      would be nice if the project could accomplish both things. However,
      while I am not at all familiar with the location of the mass grave in
      relation to Keidan itself, it sounds like it is somewhat remote from
      the town. If so, putting a plaque at the gravesite might mean that
      nobody would likely see it, and it seems like it might be more a
      target for vandalism there. Putting it in Keidan itself would
      undoubtedly make more people aware of it, but it seems more likely
      that in time people might forget where the mass grave is located if
      it is not marked.
      Another important consideration is what restrictions the
      authorities might place on the chosen location. I really have no
      idea who to even approach to learn what requirements or fees might
      apply to our trying to place the plaque in any given location. I was
      hoping that someone who might have some experience with working with
      the local authorities might have some thoughts on this, as well as
      possibly knowing of someone in the Keidan area who might assist with
      placing the plaque. It seems to me that that consideration might
      dictate the site of the plaque as much or moreso than our own
      personal preference.
      Incidentally, I apologize to any of you who might think that
      this project is "off the subject" for the purpose of this list. I
      understand that some might consider that this goes outside the scope
      of genealogy, strictly speaking. Still, I hope that you all will at
      least consider the idea of a plaque as a way to honor those who may
      well be the earliest known ancestors we can identify from our
      genealogical research. In my own personal view, genealogy is more
      than a matter of just collecting names and dates, which is what draws
      me to the idea of memorializing those who were slaughtered in Keidan.

      --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, "Ada Green" <adagreen@...> wrote:

      > I fully agree with Harvey Kaplan that the proposed Keidan Memorial
      > Plaque should be put somewhere obvious where the municipality can
      > keep an eye on it, as opposed to the mass grave site way out in the
      > woods near the Keidan airstrip. I think that somewhere on the main
      > square (either on one of the 2 former synagogues or on the vacant
      > piece of land more towards the middle of the square where the
      market
      > used to be) would be better than the old Keidan cemetery in terms
      of
      > both visibility and accessibility. In other words, more people
      would
      > see it in the main square than in the cemetery or elsewhere.
      >
      > I also agree with Ken Camber's cousin Jackie in Israel that the
      > project should be kept modest in cost. Not only in terms of the
      > current economy, but so that it's not valuable enough that one of
      the
      > locals could remove it to sell it for scrap (my late father, Sam
      > Greenblatt, was in the scrap metal business in upstate NY, so
      > automatically that's the first concern that came to my mind).
      >
      > The major point I want to make though is to please be aware that it
      > wasn't just the Jews of Keidan that were murdered on that terrible
      > day of 28 August 1941 (2 Elul). On that day the Jews of Shat
      (Seta)
      > and Zheim (Zeimiai), were rounded up and transported by truck to
      > Keidan, where they were killed on that same site along with the
      Jews
      > of Keidan. Ken, as you probably know, amongst them were members of
      > the Camber family from Seta.
      >
      > Thus it is <i>very</i> important that any Keidan Memorial Plaque
      pay
      > tribute to the destroyed Jewish Communities of Seta and Zeimiai in
      > addition to Keidan itself. On that day those 3 Jewish Communities
      > were eternally united together in their tragic fate.
      >
      > According to the Yager Report, a total of 2,600 Jews were murdered
      at
      > the mass gravesite in Keidan. However, that figure is undoubtedly
      > incorrect (a guess on my part is that the figure for Keidan alone
      > would have been at least that amount). It is estimated that at
      least
      > 3,200 Jews died there in all.
      >
      > I believe that Seta-born Joe Woolf of Israel submitted Pages of
      > Testimony for all known Jews from Seta who were murdered during the
      > Shoah. In addition to Keidan, on a separate day one transport of
      > Seta Jews went to the one of the infamous killing Forts of Kaunas,
      > and on the way it possibly may have stopped in Keidan to pick up
      more
      > Jews.
      >
      > Ada Green

    • davinajackie Shmueli
      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 22, 2009
        Hi Sally
        Thanks for the information. I think it would be very beneficial and helpful if you contacted these people as you have met them personally. There is nothing like personal contact.  Perhaps you could ifnd out who would be the person to contact in the municipality regarding the idea of erecting and maintaining a plaque/memorial in the central sqare in Kedain and ask your contacts how to do it and would it be welcomed by the local authorities?
        Regards
        Jackie