Proposed Keidan Memorial Plaque

  • Ada Green
    Message 1 of 33 , Feb 14, 2009
      I fully agree with Harvey Kaplan that the proposed Keidan Memorial
      Plaque should be put somewhere obvious where the municipality can
      keep an eye on it, as opposed to the mass grave site way out in the
      woods near the Keidan airstrip. I think that somewhere on the main
      square (either on one of the 2 former synagogues or on the vacant
      piece of land more towards the middle of the square where the market
      used to be) would be better than the old Keidan cemetery in terms of
      both visibility and accessibility. In other words, more people would
      see it in the main square than in the cemetery or elsewhere.

      I also agree with Ken Camber's cousin Jackie in Israel that the
      project should be kept modest in cost. Not only in terms of the
      current economy, but so that it's not valuable enough that one of the
      locals could remove it to sell it for scrap (my late father, Sam
      Greenblatt, was in the scrap metal business in upstate NY, so
      automatically that's the first concern that came to my mind).

      The major point I want to make though is to please be aware that it
      wasn't just the Jews of Keidan that were murdered on that terrible
      day of 28 August 1941 (2 Elul). On that day the Jews of Shat (Seta)
      and Zheim (Zeimiai), were rounded up and transported by truck to
      Keidan, where they were killed on that same site along with the Jews
      of Keidan. Ken, as you probably know, amongst them were members of
      the Camber family from Seta.

      Thus it is <i>very</i> important that any Keidan Memorial Plaque pay
      tribute to the destroyed Jewish Communities of Seta and Zeimiai in
      addition to Keidan itself. On that day those 3 Jewish Communities
      were eternally united together in their tragic fate.

      According to the Yager Report, a total of 2,600 Jews were murdered at
      the mass gravesite in Keidan. However, that figure is undoubtedly
      incorrect (a guess on my part is that the figure for Keidan alone
      would have been at least that amount). It is estimated that at least
      3,200 Jews died there in all.

      I believe that Seta-born Joe Woolf of Israel submitted Pages of
      Testimony for all known Jews from Seta who were murdered during the
      Shoah. In addition to Keidan, on a separate day one transport of
      Seta Jews went to the one of the infamous killing Forts of Kaunas,
      and on the way it possibly may have stopped in Keidan to pick up more
      Jews.

      Ada Green
    • davinajackie Shmueli
      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 22, 2009
        Hi Sally
        Thanks for the information. I think it would be very beneficial and helpful if you contacted these people as you have met them personally. There is nothing like personal contact.  Perhaps you could ifnd out who would be the person to contact in the municipality regarding the idea of erecting and maintaining a plaque/memorial in the central sqare in Kedain and ask your contacts how to do it and would it be welcomed by the local authorities?
        Regards
        Jackie