Pages of testimony for Keidaners

  • Tamar Dothan
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2009
      Hello to all of you,

      I am interested in creating a list of the people murdered in Keidan [Kedainiai] in ww2, and of Keidaners killed elsewhere. It is assumed that about 3000 people were murdered in the town on August 28, 1941. The Yad Vashem online database of pages of testimony has 980 pages that state Keidan  as the place of death. Only part of them commemorate people who were killed in the town of Keidan. Many are for people killed in other  towns / villages in the county of Keidan. That means that more than 70% of the people murdered in Keidan are not listed in Yad Vashem and their names might be lost forever.

      As time passes  those who lived in pre-war Keidan are getting fewer almost daily. I am appealling to all of you to fill in pages of testimony for every person you know or assume was killed in Keidan. Please contact your older relatives and  encourage them to fill in a page of testimony for everyone of their relatives, friends, classmates and neighbours. It is worthwhile to submit a POT even if there is partial data only  - like  a first  or a last name, or only the name of a parent or a spouse. Some of us have come to know about relatives through the vital records translated and distributed in the last few years. Please fill in POT for these  relatives too if your family has not heard from them since ww2. As most of the people living in the town in 1941 were murdered, you may be the only person knowing the name of a second or third cousin, and knowing that they were married and had a baby.

      By the way, if you have already sent POTs and have now additional data about these people, you can send Yad Vashem a letter with the additional information and they will add it. Just make sure you identify the person exactly.

      Following is the website address for pages of testimony.

      Sincerely,

      Tamar Dothan
      Jerusalem, Israel

    • sharonsilber@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2009
        Thank you for forwarding this. I have filled it out for my grandmother and will try to gather enough to do others. Is there a database for survivors?

        Stay up to date on the latest news - from sports scores to stocks and so much more.
      • Tamar Dothan
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2009
          I think there is. Try the Yad Vashem site.

          Tamar Dothan