Goldshmidts of Kedain

  • Susan Goldsmith
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2009
      Dear Andy and all Kedainers,

           I am researching my Goldsmith family and wonder if any of you know more about  members of my family.  Did any Goldsmiths intermarry with any of your families or were they family friends?  I am hoping to learn more about the following Goldsmiths:

      Meyer Gershon, b. ~1862 Keidain, d. 1938 NY, son of Yehuda Zev Goldshmidt, husband of Dvora Leia (maiden name unknown), b. ~1857, d. 1941NY, and their children.
      Shephard (Shepsil) Goldsmith, b. 1914, d. 1918 NY, said to be son of Yehuda Zev, but either this is a mistake, or it was another Yehuda Zev.
      Julius Goldsmith, Meyer Goldsmith, members of the Kedainer Society in NYC 1930
      Avraham Shlomo Zalman Goldshmidt who is a subject of a section of the Kedainer Yizkor Book p. 198 ff

           (We have many Meyers, Avrahams, and Zalmans which makes distinguishing them clearly a challenge).

           Is there a project to translate the Hebrew and Yiddish portions of the Kedainer Yizkor Book into English?  I would like to contribute to the translation of the above section.   In the Table of Contents there is no mention of a Necrology from the Shoah.  Is there one?

           I am the Coordinator of the Jonava Yizkor Book Translation Project.  If any of you have family in Jonava (Yanove) as well as Kedain, (there was a great deal of movement between the two towns), please be sure to read the translated portions of the Jonava Yizkor Book, including the Necrology.  There are a number of Kedainers mentioned in the book and also photos of Kedainers.  For the photos with captions, the captions have been translated.  Some captions identify Kedainers, but on some photos we need help identifying the Kedainers.  Please let me know if you were born in Kedain and can help with identification and/or you can help based on your knowledge of Kedain and familiarity with Kedain photos.  I am very appreciative of your input.

           Warm Regards,
           Susan Goldsmith

    • idoloans13@AMERITECH.NET
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2009
        Dear all,

        My grandmother was related to goldsmith and they now live in flosmoor near chicago illinois. My granparent were keidaners. And I do remember talk of meyer goldsmith in st louis. Missouri. Also some relations do liv e in california. I live in illinois. Thanks

        Edie. Idoloans13@...

        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

      • Oscar Friedman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2009

          Hey Suzy

          Happy new year

          I have no direct assistance I can give for your request , but if you need small parts translation from Hebrew  I will be more then happy to help . just send me the file or the photo , and let me know what exactly you need .

          Oscar (from Israel )

          Searching the Ziv , Friedman , Itsikovich and Korb

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2009
            Dear Susan,

            You asked about the possibility of a project to have the Keidan Yizkor
            book translated into English. Soon I am planning to poll the Keidan
            Vital Records group on this subject. As you probably know, there are
            excess funds in the Vital Records account, and if the donors decide to
            apply those funds to the Yizkor book translation, that project could
            materialize. I just need to distribute one final file (the Josvainiai
            death records), after which I will poll the group.

            I will post to this list if the project will be approved.