RE: [JewishKeidan] keidan archives

  • Gus Levy
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009

      Judith: My grandfather, Abraham Meryash, was also a President at one time of Keidaner Association. If you look at the gate of the Keidaner Assoc. In Mt. Hebron Cemetery , you will find his name, and the names of some of the officials that I knew as a child. My late cousin, Seymour Rabinowitz was the Secretary and in charge of the cemetery plots. Before he died, he wanted me to take over, but for some reason the remnants of the Board didn’t want me (probably, it was rumored, because I wasn’t “religious enough”. I have no idea who is in charge; indeed, if anyone is.

      Gerson Levy

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
        Gerson,

        When was your cousin in charge of the Keidaner cemetery plots? The
        last official of the organization to my knowlege was Victor Kane,
        whom I met in the early 90s. He showed me his record book of the
        members and said there were still some cemetery plots available --
        but that the assets of the society had mostly been turned over to the
        Jewish Agency or Federation or some such group.

        I'd be curious to know the history of your family's involvement with
        the Association, and very eager to see any records you might still
        have. Same for anyone connected with the organization; please,if you
        have family records that can be copied or photographed, let me know.

        And if anyone knows how to contact Hal Linden, the actor, I've been
        trying for years to get in touch with him to ask about his
        recollections of the Keidaner Association -- of which his father,
        Charles Lipshitz, was president in the 30s and early 40s.

        thanks

        andy
      • Tamar Dothan
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 3, 2009
          Hello to all of you,

          Reading the name of Meyer Yitzchak Edelman, it occured to me to ask if anyone of you knows  about his family . From the inscriptions on their gravestones it seems two of his children died before him [died in 1937] and his wife [died in 1951], and I assume they were not married. One son, Aharon Edelman, died in 1953, and it seems he was married.

          Aharon was a cousin of my grandfather, and I have been unable to locate his descendents.

          Thanks,
          Tamar Dothan
          Jerusalem, Israel
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 3, 2009
            L'Tamar shalom Rav,

            I saw your e-mail  and remembered our meeting in Jerusalem. I intend to be in Jerusalem again at the end of this month and will give you a call. Would love to get together again. I hope all is well with you.

            Regards,

            Moshe Kagan

          • MEKagan@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 3, 2009
              Dear Andy,

              Just saw your e-mail. You know Victor Kane was my first cousin.  Unfortunately he passed way some time ago. His wife is still alive and she lives in California. In fact, i am in touch with the family from time to time.

              It is very easy to get in touch with Hal Linden. He is the spokesman for the Jewish National Fund and they will connect you to him.

              It's time to get together again. Do you still go to CT?

              Good to see you still interested in Keidan.

              All the best.

              Moshe Kagan

            • Gus Levy
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 9, 2009

                Next time I visit the section in Mt. Hebron I will check a few things out. This will be in the Spring. My Cousin, Seymour Rabinowitz was in charge prior to 1960 until his death. I am positive he was in charge, because he approved the sale of 4 graves to my Uncle Samuel. Sam, Jack, Blanche and Ben are buried there. Blanche and Ben were my parents. Blanche was a Kaidanite. Her father Abraham Meryash was a big wheel in the Association, in by-gone years

                .’

                Gerson