RE: [JewishKeidan] keidan archives

  • Judith S. Schachter
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
      My grandfather, Samuel Goldstein was a president of the Keidaner Association in New York City and our daughter, Rachel Edelson has a silver bowl given to him in honor of his presidency. Anotherr grand daughter is Osna Fenner. Sam Rosen was a great uncle since he married our grandmother's sister, Rebecca.

      I would suggest giving your historical material to YIVO Institute for Jewish Research, 15 west 16 street, nyc 10011. phone 212-246-6080

      If they cannot accept it I am sure that they'd advise you where to donate it so that it is available to scholars and those interested.

      Thank you for providing this additional information about the early association.

      Judith S. Schachter

    • A Cassel
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
        Judith,

        Thanks for weighing in. Is there a chance you could post a digital photo of that bowl? It would make a nice addition to our online archive. As for your suggestion, I agree that YIVO is a worthwhile repository for historical material; so is the American Jewish Historical Society. Both organizations, when last I checked, owned copies of the 1930 Keidaner Association book. Another is in the Judaica collection of the NY Public Library on 5th Ave.

        All best,

        Andy

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009

          Judith: My grandfather, Abraham Meryash, was also a President at one time of Keidaner Association. If you look at the gate of the Keidaner Assoc. In Mt. Hebron Cemetery , you will find his name, and the names of some of the officials that I knew as a child. My late cousin, Seymour Rabinowitz was the Secretary and in charge of the cemetery plots. Before he died, he wanted me to take over, but for some reason the remnants of the Board didn’t want me (probably, it was rumored, because I wasn’t “religious enough”. I have no idea who is in charge; indeed, if anyone is.

          Gerson Levy

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
            Gerson,

            When was your cousin in charge of the Keidaner cemetery plots? The
            last official of the organization to my knowlege was Victor Kane,
            whom I met in the early 90s. He showed me his record book of the
            members and said there were still some cemetery plots available --
            but that the assets of the society had mostly been turned over to the
            Jewish Agency or Federation or some such group.

            I'd be curious to know the history of your family's involvement with
            the Association, and very eager to see any records you might still
            have. Same for anyone connected with the organization; please,if you
            have family records that can be copied or photographed, let me know.

            And if anyone knows how to contact Hal Linden, the actor, I've been
            trying for years to get in touch with him to ask about his
            recollections of the Keidaner Association -- of which his father,
            Charles Lipshitz, was president in the 30s and early 40s.

            thanks

            andy
          • Tamar Dothan
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 3, 2009
              Hello to all of you,

              Reading the name of Meyer Yitzchak Edelman, it occured to me to ask if anyone of you knows  about his family . From the inscriptions on their gravestones it seems two of his children died before him [died in 1937] and his wife [died in 1951], and I assume they were not married. One son, Aharon Edelman, died in 1953, and it seems he was married.

              Aharon was a cousin of my grandfather, and I have been unable to locate his descendents.

              Thanks,
              Tamar Dothan
              Jerusalem, Israel
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 3, 2009
                L'Tamar shalom Rav,

                I saw your e-mail  and remembered our meeting in Jerusalem. I intend to be in Jerusalem again at the end of this month and will give you a call. Would love to get together again. I hope all is well with you.

                Regards,

                Moshe Kagan

              • MEKagan@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 3, 2009
                  Dear Andy,

                  Just saw your e-mail. You know Victor Kane was my first cousin.  Unfortunately he passed way some time ago. His wife is still alive and she lives in California. In fact, i am in touch with the family from time to time.

                  It is very easy to get in touch with Hal Linden. He is the spokesman for the Jewish National Fund and they will connect you to him.

                  It's time to get together again. Do you still go to CT?

                  Good to see you still interested in Keidan.

                  All the best.

                  Moshe Kagan

                • Gus Levy
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 9, 2009

                    Next time I visit the section in Mt. Hebron I will check a few things out. This will be in the Spring. My Cousin, Seymour Rabinowitz was in charge prior to 1960 until his death. I am positive he was in charge, because he approved the sale of 4 graves to my Uncle Samuel. Sam, Jack, Blanche and Ben are buried there. Blanche and Ben were my parents. Blanche was a Kaidanite. Her father Abraham Meryash was a big wheel in the Association, in by-gone years

                    .’

                    Gerson