keidan archives

  • snausage22
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
      i found this site and am happy about it. my mother is gloria horowiz
      and she asked me to do some resarch since she doesnt have a
      computer.my mothers great grandfather wolf kaplan was a jewish leader
      in the community. he and his family immigrated to the us . others went
      to south africa. in 1900 wolf and meyer kaplan (wolfs father) ,morris
      erens, joeseph weitzer, samuel golden, william einhorn, jacob sugerman
      and max markowitz organized the keidaner association in nyc. they met
      at the broadway central hotel and later at the empire hotel. by 1930
      they had 400 members. morris solomon was the president, joseph
      shapiro--vice pres., and charles lipshitz--dance committee chairman. .
      I have the journal for the 1930 celebration dinner . my mothers
      great-grandparents and grandparents are buried in washington
      cemetary--bklyn..my grandparents--louis and helen kaplan are buried in
      monifore---queens. i would like to donate the journal for historical
      purposes.if anyone has thoughts, pleas feel free to share....jason
      horowitz--queens, ny
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
        Jason:

        First, welcome to the Keidan network. It's great that you found us.
        Second, your ancestor Wolf Kaplan was a very respected man in the
        Keidaner community. If the 1930 book you have is the same one in
        which my grandfather's history of Keidan appears, you might have seen
        on Page 70 a lengthy tribute to Wolf Kaplan, written by Meyer
        Yitzchak Edleman. If you don't have it, or want an English
        translation, let me know and I'll send it.

        On the other hand, if the "journal" you refer to is not same one I
        have -- the hardback book entitled "Keidan - a zamel bukh" in Yiddish
        with an English section at the back -- then I'd be very interested in
        seeing what you do have. I've tried to collect originals or
        photocopies of all the Keidaner Assn. documents, and would be most
        grateful if you could send a xerox or scan of yours. Either way,
        let's be in touch and discuss.

        --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, "snausage22" <cashaknish@...>
        wrote:

        > i found this site and am happy about it. my mother is gloria horowiz
        > and she asked me to do some resarch since she doesnt have a
        > computer.my mothers great grandfather wolf kaplan was a jewish
        leader
        > in the community. he and his family immigrated to the us . others
        went
        > to south africa. in 1900 wolf and meyer kaplan (wolfs
        father) ,morris
        > erens, joeseph weitzer, samuel golden, william einhorn, jacob
        sugerman
        > and max markowitz organized the keidaner association in nyc. they
        met
        > at the broadway central hotel and later at the empire hotel. by 1930
        > they had 400 members. morris solomon was the president, joseph
        > shapiro--vice pres., and charles lipshitz--dance committee
        chairman. .
        > I have the journal for the 1930 celebration dinner . my mothers
        > great-grandparents and grandparents are buried in washington
        > cemetary--bklyn..my grandparents--louis and helen kaplan are buried
        in
        > monifore---queens. i would like to donate the journal for
        historical
        > purposes.if anyone has thoughts, pleas feel free to share....jason
        > horowitz--queens, ny

      • Judith S. Schachter
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
          My grandfather, Samuel Goldstein was a president of the Keidaner Association in New York City and our daughter, Rachel Edelson has a silver bowl given to him in honor of his presidency. Anotherr grand daughter is Osna Fenner. Sam Rosen was a great uncle since he married our grandmother's sister, Rebecca.

          I would suggest giving your historical material to YIVO Institute for Jewish Research, 15 west 16 street, nyc 10011. phone 212-246-6080

          If they cannot accept it I am sure that they'd advise you where to donate it so that it is available to scholars and those interested.

          Thank you for providing this additional information about the early association.

          Judith S. Schachter

        • A Cassel
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
            Judith,

            Thanks for weighing in. Is there a chance you could post a digital photo of that bowl? It would make a nice addition to our online archive. As for your suggestion, I agree that YIVO is a worthwhile repository for historical material; so is the American Jewish Historical Society. Both organizations, when last I checked, owned copies of the 1930 Keidaner Association book. Another is in the Judaica collection of the NY Public Library on 5th Ave.

            All best,

            Andy

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009

              Judith: My grandfather, Abraham Meryash, was also a President at one time of Keidaner Association. If you look at the gate of the Keidaner Assoc. In Mt. Hebron Cemetery , you will find his name, and the names of some of the officials that I knew as a child. My late cousin, Seymour Rabinowitz was the Secretary and in charge of the cemetery plots. Before he died, he wanted me to take over, but for some reason the remnants of the Board didn’t want me (probably, it was rumored, because I wasn’t “religious enough”. I have no idea who is in charge; indeed, if anyone is.

              Gerson Levy

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
                Gerson,

                When was your cousin in charge of the Keidaner cemetery plots? The
                last official of the organization to my knowlege was Victor Kane,
                whom I met in the early 90s. He showed me his record book of the
                members and said there were still some cemetery plots available --
                but that the assets of the society had mostly been turned over to the
                Jewish Agency or Federation or some such group.

                I'd be curious to know the history of your family's involvement with
                the Association, and very eager to see any records you might still
                have. Same for anyone connected with the organization; please,if you
                have family records that can be copied or photographed, let me know.

                And if anyone knows how to contact Hal Linden, the actor, I've been
                trying for years to get in touch with him to ask about his
                recollections of the Keidaner Association -- of which his father,
                Charles Lipshitz, was president in the 30s and early 40s.

                thanks

                andy
              • Tamar Dothan
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 3, 2009
                  Hello to all of you,

                  Reading the name of Meyer Yitzchak Edelman, it occured to me to ask if anyone of you knows  about his family . From the inscriptions on their gravestones it seems two of his children died before him [died in 1937] and his wife [died in 1951], and I assume they were not married. One son, Aharon Edelman, died in 1953, and it seems he was married.

                  Aharon was a cousin of my grandfather, and I have been unable to locate his descendents.

                  Thanks,
                  Tamar Dothan
                  Jerusalem, Israel

                • MEKagan@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 3, 2009
                    L'Tamar shalom Rav,

                    I saw your e-mail  and remembered our meeting in Jerusalem. I intend to be in Jerusalem again at the end of this month and will give you a call. Would love to get together again. I hope all is well with you.

                    Regards,

                    Moshe Kagan

                  • MEKagan@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 3, 2009
                      Dear Andy,

                      Just saw your e-mail. You know Victor Kane was my first cousin.  Unfortunately he passed way some time ago. His wife is still alive and she lives in California. In fact, i am in touch with the family from time to time.

                      It is very easy to get in touch with Hal Linden. He is the spokesman for the Jewish National Fund and they will connect you to him.

                      It's time to get together again. Do you still go to CT?

                      Good to see you still interested in Keidan.

                      All the best.

                      Moshe Kagan

                    • Gus Levy
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 9, 2009

                        Next time I visit the section in Mt. Hebron I will check a few things out. This will be in the Spring. My Cousin, Seymour Rabinowitz was in charge prior to 1960 until his death. I am positive he was in charge, because he approved the sale of 4 graves to my Uncle Samuel. Sam, Jack, Blanche and Ben are buried there. Blanche and Ben were my parents. Blanche was a Kaidanite. Her father Abraham Meryash was a big wheel in the Association, in by-gone years

                        .’

                        Gerson