Re: [JewishKeidan] Scottish heritage of Keidan/Kedainiai

  • Harvey Kaplan
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 24, 2008
      Avshi

      My Kaplan and Fine (Fayn) families lived at various times in the 19th century in Ariogala, Josvainiai, Krakes, Grinkiskis and Kedainiai.  In all these towns there are a number of Fine and Kaplan families, and most of them are people I can't connect to (although they may indeed be distant cousins).

      The name Goltzin (or even Golzin) does not appear in the index to births, marriages, deaths and censuses in Scotland, nor in our database of Jews in Scotland.  I also can't think of any reason for the name to be connected linguistically to Scotland.

      best wishes

      Harvey

      On 24/09/2008, Avshi <avshi_h@...> wrote:

      THANK YOU HARVEY.

      THOSE NAMES : FINE & KAPLAN – WAS KEIDANERS!

      & - WHEN I MENTION ABOUT THE SCOTISH NAME – GOLTZIN -  I SPEAK OF NON JEWS PERSONS. ALSO I WANT TO KNOW IF – TO THE WORD  - GOLTZ IN SCOTLAND (OR SOME LOKAL) EXIST ANY MEANING OR "SLANG"?

      ABOUT THE ORIGINE NAME – KEIDAN, I LOOK IN THE BOOK – (MEMORIAL BOOK  KEIDAN – IN HEBREW – 1977 – YOSEF CHROST – EDITORE & THE COMITTE WAS 7 KEIDANERS INCLUDE MY FATHER – PESACH HITTIN (WEITZER).

      (FREE TRANSLATION FROM HEBREW – & I THINK ITS BRIEFING FROM HISTORY SEARCH THAT PUBLISH IN A BOOK NAME – KEIDAN – THIRTIETH ANNIVERSARY OF THE KEIDANER ASSOCIAATIO 1900-1930 IN U.S.A. "REDAKTIERT VON BARUCH CHAI'IM CASSEL& DR. CHAI'IM YA'AKOV EPSTEIN IN YIDDISH)… THE EXAKT TIME THAT THE VILLAGE ESTABLISHED IS UNKNOWN, BUT IT WAS 1379, AT THE FIRST CALLED "KASADAN" THE GRUNDNER NAME, THAT CAME FROM KWINDANGAN – KORLAND. LATER CHANGE THE NAME TO KWIEDANJNA IN JAMUTY JANNER. IN THE OLD DOCUMENT - : CAIODUNUN . & CIVITAS CAIODUNENSIS. KEIDANI – IN RUSISH & POLNISH, & KEIDAN IN YIDDISH.

      IF SOMEBODY SHOW ME HOW I CAN ADD SCANNED MATIRIAL TO MY MAIL – I CAN SEND "SOMETHING".

      REGARDS

      AVSHI