RE: RE try to convert to hebrew!!: [JewishKeidan] Yeshivas in Keidan

  • Allen Dryer
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 7, 2008

      Quick translation follows:

      “Shalom to you all – there’s no chance that I will be able to write this in an English that you will understand…

      The story of Bella Adler – of the Hamburger family from Keidan – can be read in the Keidan book in Hebrew and/or at Yad Vashem.

      She belonged to “Hashomer Hatzair” and then “Bnei Akiva” (youth movements)  and married a Rabbi Dr. Adler from Germany. When the Russians invaded Lithuania, Rabbi Adler managed to escape to Shanghai with a Japanese passport,  like many others, and there he spent the war. Bella was arrested by the Russians as a “wife of a German” together with her baby, Michael, and they were sent to a labor camp in central Asia. She was released after the war in 1946 and reunited with her family in New York. Thereafter, for many years, Rabbi Adler was the community rabbi of Basle in Switzerland (and chief rabbi of Switzerland). Their three children – Michael, who survived the labor camp (another case like this is unknown), became a professor at Harvard, Shmuel (Sammy), was a professor at a Jerusalem hospital, and the youngest, David, to the best of my knowledge lives in New Jersey and is a doctor/professor of Psychology.

      And if someone can explain to me how to attach pictures, I’ll try and send some old pictures of Keidan that my father, Pesach Weizer (Chitin) {excuse the inexact transliteration} left me.”

      HTH,

      Allen Dryer

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 7, 2008
        Todah rabah! Many thanks ...

        andy

        --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, "Allen Dryer" <ALLEND@...> wrote:

        > Quick translation follows:
        >

        > "Shalom to you all – there's no chance that I will be able to write
        this in an English that you will understand…

        > The story of Bella Adler – of the Hamburger family from Keidan –
        can be read in the Keidan book in Hebrew and/or at Yad Vashem.

        > She belonged to "Hashomer Hatzair" and then "Bnei Akiva" (youth
        movements) and married a Rabbi Dr. Adler from Germany. When the
        Russians invaded Lithuania, Rabbi Adler managed to escape to Shanghai
        with a Japanese passport, like many others, and there he spent the
        war. Bella was arrested by the Russians as a "wife of a German"
        together with her baby, Michael, and they were sent to a labor camp
        in central Asia. She was released after the war in 1946 and reunited
        with her family in New York. Thereafter, for many years, Rabbi Adler
        was the community rabbi of Basle in Switzerland (and chief rabbi of
        Switzerland). Their three children – Michael, who survived the labor
        camp (another case like this is unknown), became a professor at
        Harvard, Shmuel (Sammy), was a professor at a Jerusalem hospital, and
        the youngest, David, to the best of my knowledge lives in New Jersey
        and is a doctor/professor of Psychology.

        > And if someone can explain to me how to attach pictures, I'll try
        and send some old pictures of Keidan that my father, Pesach Weizer
        (Chitin) {excuse the inexact transliteration} left me."

        > HTH,
        >
        > Allen Dryer

      • Neil Kaplan
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 7, 2008

          Hi,

          Maybe I can have a go at it.

          Neil.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 8, 2008

            ALLEN DRYER – T.V.M. (THANK YOU VERY MUCH)! AVSHALOM HITTIN BET ZERA IL.

            you may review at http://www.amdocs. com/email_ disclaimer. asp