Yeshivas in Keidan

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 6, 2008
      Since Charles Kadin brought up the Yeshivas that escaped the Nazis
      via Japan, I thought this might be of interest: it is a pair of short
      articles from the monthly bulletin of the Keidaner Association of New
      York, written by my zeyde in 1950 and translated by me in 1999. I
      believe the Mirer yeshiva was among those that eventually made their
      way via Shanghai and Japan to safety.

      from "The Keidaner", No. 60, Feb. 1, 1940

      Keidan - A Home for Yeshivas

      by B. Cassel

      In a letter, which Chaim Yedidiah Blumberg writes from Keidan to his
      daughter in New York, he shares this with her: "Among the many
      refugees from the horrible misfortune that has befallen the Jews in
      Poland, there have come to Keidan all the students -- about two
      hundred -- from the Mirer Yeshiva together with the yeshiva's
      headmaster, several rabbis and teachers."

      In a report in the "Morgen Zhurnal" we read further that: " The
      famous Lublin Chochmei Yeshiva which because of the Nazi atrocities
      was forced to relocate to Lithuania, has now permanently settled in
      Keidan, under the direction of the Gaon Reb Hirsh Eisenstadt of
      Krakow."

      It is not clear from the two news accounts if there may be an error
      in the names of the yeshivas: Whether it is the Mirer or the Lubliner
      yeshiva which has set up in Keidan? Or have both displaced
      institutions jointly resettled there?

      That the Mirer yeshiva should come to Keidan is logical, due to the
      fact that the Rabbi in Mir, who also has responsibility for the
      yeshiva, was Reb Avraham Zvi Kamai. In his younger years he was the
      first in Keidan to open a pharmacy business. Later Kamai became Rabbi
      in Keidan, from whence he then went to Mir.

      In any event, the news will gladden the hearts of all Jews who
      appreciate the importance of this information.

      Throughout the Jewish Diaspora, our people have held out thanks
      largely to the strength of the yeshivas. From Yavneh to Volozhin,
      from Nardai to Safed, through Cairo, Kairvan, Cordoba, Marseille,
      Altona-Hamburg, Frankfurt, Mainz, Pavia, Lublin, Vilna, Lida,
      Slobodka and hundreds of others. For more than 2,000 years our
      yeshivas have formed a golden chain, and thousands of students have
      collected treasures of Jewish learning. Riches which individual Jews
      have acquired been destroyed, but the treasures that the yeshivas
      have created have lasted, the property of the Jewish people. Even
      though yeshivas have at various times been destroyed with horrible
      cruelty, their students burned at the stake with their books, still
      their treasures have lasted; because all the while, whenever a
      yeshiva was disbanded in one place, another was opened somewhere
      else, which continued the holy work of forging the golden chain of
      Israel's treasure.

      Keidan always was a place of Torah. Already in the beginning of the
      17th century there were yeshivas in Keidan, which were famous
      throughout Lithuania. But in the 18th and 19th centuries Keidan
      assumed a distinguished place as a center of Torah. The Vilner Gaon
      studied in Keidan in his young years (beginning of the 18th century)
      and later married into a local Keidan family.

      Founded 100 years ago, the Mirer Yeshiva was, along with the
      Volozhiner and Lulbliner, among the most significant producers of
      famous rabbis. The Mirer yeshiva had among its students also children
      from England and America.

      And our Keidan, the old home of Torah, has again become the place of
      shelter for wandering scholars and the location from which Jewish
      learning will flow out, as in the olden times.

      We therefore greet with joy the news of the yeshivas' resettlment in
      Keidan. We hope their students and teachers will find a good home
      there, and that the treasure of Israel will continue to be developed
      for the benefit of the Jewish people.

      From "The Keidaner" April 1, 1940:

      The Yeshiva in Keidan

      Because it was unclear to us whether both the Mirer and Lubliner
      yeshivas had relocated in Keidan, we asked our friend, Chaim Yedidiah
      Blumberg, who is the second gabbai of the Keidan synagogue, and we
      received the following information.

      The Lubliner Yeshiva is for the time being remaining in Vilna, but
      the Mirer Yeshiva has arrived and is making its home in Keidan. As we
      had supposed, (Bulletin No. 60) the Mirer Yeshiva indeed came to
      Keidan due to the fact that the head of the yeshiva is the learned
      Reb. Eliezar Yehuda Finkel, a son of of the "Elder" of Slobodka, and
      a brother-in-law of the learned Reb Avraham Tzvi Kamai, the former
      Rabbi of Keidan. Interesting that when the yeshiva had to flee from
      Mir, Rabbi Kamai expressed his wish that the yeshiva should move to
      Keidan, however he himself declined to leave his community, and
      remained in Mir. With him also remained his youngest daughter,
      Miriam, and his son-in-law, Rabbi Chaim Yitzchak Kaplan, who was the
      assistant to the head of the Mirer Yeshiva.

      When the 300 or so students, together with their teachers and rabbis,
      arrived in Keidan, they were quartered in room which had been rented
      for them in various houses. They rented out the second floor in
      Feingold's building, where Frumkin's apothecary once was, and there
      set up a community kitchen, where the students take their meals.

      Relocating the location of weekday prayers to the women's study
      house, where the people pray three times a day, the town gave over
      the entire study house to the yeshiva. To the old reading stands they
      have added more than 200 new ones, and the old study house with its
      rich history has been revived. The old melodies are being sung by
      young voices, as the students of the yeshiva make the old building
      and the whole synagogue yard ring once again.

      Previously, the Vilna Yeshiva Committee supported them; now they
      receive aid from the Joint Distribution Committee and supporters in
      America. Naturally, Keidan's citizens also help as best they can.
      The students, among whom are children from several countries, even
      from America, Argentina and Africa, are very happy with the treatment
      they are receiving in their new home. Keidaners are also very happy
      to have this new treasure of youth and Jewishness, which has wholly
      revived the old city of Keidan.

      "Netsakh yisroel lo yeshaker" [The glory of Israel will not fail].
      And the old home of Torah - Keidan - again is made to flourish, and
      will again take its respected place in the never-ending history of
      Judaism.
    • Ben-Tsion
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 6, 2008

        It is correct that the Mirer yeshiva made her way to Japan, and was the only complete yeshiva to be rescued (except of 30 students who couldn't or didn't want to leave). But before doing so, the Soviets, who occupied Lithuania on June 15th, 1940, demanded the heads of the yeshiva to leave Keidan. So, after a very sad ceremony in the old study house, the yeshiva left on August 5th, 1940, and splitted into small groups in Krakinova, Krok, Remigola and Shat. They got the permission to leave the Soviet Lithuania in November-December 1940.

        Andy, thank you for the important historical source (at least for me), which reveals the real reason for the Mirer yeshiva move to Keidan (other yeshivas moved to different shtetlach like Rassein, Yaneve, Trok, Birzh, etc.)

        Ben-Tsion Klibansky

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 7, 2008

          שלום לכם – אין צ'אנס שאצליח לכתוב לכם באנגלית שתוכלו להבין...

          את הסיפור של ביילה אדלר – לבית המבורגר מקיידאן – תוכלו לקרוא בספר קיידאן בעברית ו/או ביד-ושם.

          הייתה בשומר הצעיר ועברה לבני עקיבא -  נישאה לד"ר רבי אדלר מגרמניה. עם כניסת הרוסים לליטא – הצליח הרב אדלר להגיע לשנחאי בעזרת דרכון יפני – כמו רבים ושם עבר את המלחמה. ביילה נעצרה ע"י הרוסים כ"אשת גרמני" יחד עם התינוק מיכאל (מייקל) – ונשלחה למחנה עבודה במרכז אסיה. בגמר המלחמה לאחר ששוחררה ב- 1946 -  התאחדה המשפחה בניו-יורק ולאחר מכן היה הרב אדלר במשך שנים רבות הרב של קהילת בזל בשוויץ (והיה הרב הראשי לשוויץ). שלושת ילדהם – מיכאל (מייקל) ששרד את מחנה העבודה (לא ידוע על מקרה דומה) – היה פרופסור בהרוורד,

          שמואל – סמי הוא פרופ' בבי"ח בירושלים ודיוויד הצעיר – למיטב ידיעתי חי בניו-ג'רסי ד"ר/פרופ' בפסיכולוגיה?

          ואם מישהו יסביר לי איך לצרף תמונות – אשתדל לשלוח לכם תמונות מקיידאן של פעם – שהשאיר לי אבי פסח ווייצער (חטין).

          אבשי

> [...]

          young voices, as the students of the yeshiva make the old building
          and the whole synagogue yard ring once again.

          Previously, the Vilna Yeshiva Committee supported them; now they
          receive aid from the Joint Distribution Committee and supporters in
          America . Naturally, Keidan's citizens also help as best they can.
          The students, among whom are children from several countries, even
          from America , Argentina and Africa , are very happy with the treatment
          they are receiving in their new home. Keidaners are also very happy
          to have this new treasure of youth and Jewishness, which has wholly
          revived the old city of Keidan .

          "Netsakh yisroel lo yeshaker" [The glory of Israel will not fail].
          And the old home of Torah - Keidan - again is made to flourish, and
          will again take its respected place in the never-ending history of

        • Neil Kaplan
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 7, 2008

            Hi,

            This might be interesting, scans of a passport of Chiune Sugihara survivor:

            The holder, Mr.Lederman received the visa on 30 July 1940 and had this passport issued to him in Tokyo, before being deported to Shanghai 1941.
            (The Japanese liner Kamakura Maru arrived at Lourenco Marques on September 5, 1942, carrying repatriates and third nationals from various ports in the Far East.  Among the expatriate community in Shanghai the ship had acquired the sobriquet Wangle Maru due to the various schemes and manipulations engineered by Britons trying to obtain a berth on her. Mr.LEDERMAN, a Polish businessman born who gave his date of birth as 1894, boarded the ship in Shanghai and transferred to the SS Narkunda in Lourenco Marques.  This information comes from a copy of the Shanghai Times newspaper, which printed a passenger list after the ship sailed in August).

            Rgrds,
            Neil.

          • A Cassel
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 7, 2008

              If any of our Hebrew-literate friends can offer a quick translation of Avishai’s note, I’m sure many of us would be grateful for the information.

              Many thanks,

              Andy

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 7, 2008

                Quick translation follows:

                “Shalom to you all – there’s no chance that I will be able to write this in an English that you will understand…

                The story of Bella Adler – of the Hamburger family from Keidan – can be read in the Keidan book in Hebrew and/or at Yad Vashem.

                She belonged to “Hashomer Hatzair” and then “Bnei Akiva” (youth movements)  and married a Rabbi Dr. Adler from Germany. When the Russians invaded Lithuania, Rabbi Adler managed to escape to Shanghai with a Japanese passport,  like many others, and there he spent the war. Bella was arrested by the Russians as a “wife of a German” together with her baby, Michael, and they were sent to a labor camp in central Asia. She was released after the war in 1946 and reunited with her family in New York. Thereafter, for many years, Rabbi Adler was the community rabbi of Basle in Switzerland (and chief rabbi of Switzerland). Their three children – Michael, who survived the labor camp (another case like this is unknown), became a professor at Harvard, Shmuel (Sammy), was a professor at a Jerusalem hospital, and the youngest, David, to the best of my knowledge lives in New Jersey and is a doctor/professor of Psychology.

                And if someone can explain to me how to attach pictures, I’ll try and send some old pictures of Keidan that my father, Pesach Weizer (Chitin) {excuse the inexact transliteration} left me.”

                HTH,

                Allen Dryer

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 7, 2008
                  Todah rabah! Many thanks ...

                  andy

                  --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, "Allen Dryer" <ALLEND@...> wrote:

                  > Quick translation follows:
                  >

                  > "Shalom to you all – there's no chance that I will be able to write
                  this in an English that you will understand…

                  > The story of Bella Adler – of the Hamburger family from Keidan –
                  can be read in the Keidan book in Hebrew and/or at Yad Vashem.

                  > She belonged to "Hashomer Hatzair" and then "Bnei Akiva" (youth
                  movements) and married a Rabbi Dr. Adler from Germany. When the
                  Russians invaded Lithuania, Rabbi Adler managed to escape to Shanghai
                  with a Japanese passport, like many others, and there he spent the
                  war. Bella was arrested by the Russians as a "wife of a German"
                  together with her baby, Michael, and they were sent to a labor camp
                  in central Asia. She was released after the war in 1946 and reunited
                  with her family in New York. Thereafter, for many years, Rabbi Adler
                  was the community rabbi of Basle in Switzerland (and chief rabbi of
                  Switzerland). Their three children – Michael, who survived the labor
                  camp (another case like this is unknown), became a professor at
                  Harvard, Shmuel (Sammy), was a professor at a Jerusalem hospital, and
                  the youngest, David, to the best of my knowledge lives in New Jersey
                  and is a doctor/professor of Psychology.

                  > And if someone can explain to me how to attach pictures, I'll try
                  and send some old pictures of Keidan that my father, Pesach Weizer
                  (Chitin) {excuse the inexact transliteration} left me."

                  > HTH,
                  >
                  > Allen Dryer

                • Neil Kaplan
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 7, 2008

                    Hi,

                    Maybe I can have a go at it.

                    Neil.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 8, 2008

                      ALLEN DRYER – T.V.M. (THANK YOU VERY MUCH)! AVSHALOM HITTIN BET ZERA IL.

                      you may review at http://www.amdocs. com/email_ disclaimer. asp