Re: Welcome

  • bentsion100
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 23, 2004
      Shalom,

      I think that the Synagogue's photo is of the "Shiva Kru'im"
      synagogue, which wasn't the main one in Keidan, but one of many
      others there. This one was really located in the "Shul-hoif".

      If I don't have a mistake, Andy told us few years ago that
      the "museum" is intended to be located in the Beis-Midrash, so I was
      really surprised that the Lithuanians chose the nearby synagogue for
      their museum.
      I wonder what are their plans for the Beis-Midrash, that according to
      the photo, is completely renewed.

      Ben-Tsion Klibansky
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 23, 2004
        Shalom Ben-Tsion, and thanks for your note.

        The pictures from Ellen Cassedy are both from the former 'shulhoyf' -
        - the main complex of religious buildings that were at the core of
        Jewish Keidan. I think the one with the statues was the 'groyse
        shul', also known as the 'kalte shul' because it was not heated and
        was thus used only in the warmer months. My grandfather's story
        about Simchas Torah describes the building in great detail, so I
        guess they used it until after the High Holidays. The other building
        is the 'bes medresh' or study house -- which was also a synagogue,
        but was that also called the 'shiva kru'im'? I had thought that was
        the name of one of the smaller 'shtiblekh' used by such minyans as
        the gravediggers, tailors or former soldiers from the Czar's army.

        Also, how would you translate 'shiva kru'im' into English? Is it
        Seven Guests? And do you know the origin of that name? Is it a
        reference to something in the Bible, or Talmud?

        Best,