Kvedarna

  • Nils Hornqvist
    Message 1 of 4 , May 19, 2008

           I'm investigating Swedish placenames beginning with KVID or KVED, which has the
           meaning 'enclosure of sheep or cattle'. In Swedish KVEDARNA as it stands is the plural
           form. So, what is the ethymologi of KVEDARNA ( CHWEIDAN)? Anyone?

           NH

      Message 2 of 4 , May 19, 2008
        I don't know if this addresses your question, but in my grandfather's
        history of Keidan (which you can read in translation on the website,
        www.keidan.net ) is the following passage:

        "In the mid-1400's, during the height of the attacks on Lithuania by
        the German Crusaders, a fishing village came into existence near the
        Neviasha River, at its broadest point where the small river Abela
        flows into it from the south on the left, and where the small rivers
        Datnovke and Smilga enter it on the right from the north.

        "This hamlet was surrounded by mountains on the east and west; to its
        south was the panorama of glorious fields and woods on the shores of
        the Abela and Neviasha. To the southeast stretched out a dense pine
        forest with hundred-year-old trees.

        "At the beginning of the forest, right by the Neviasha, was a mount
        suitable for an altar to the gods. An eternal flame, called "Znitsh,"
        was lit on the mount and was maintained by the priests and
        the "Videlotkes" - the maidens who attended the priests and made
        certain the fire was never extinguished.

        "It is not known exactly when the village was first settled, but it
        is known that that crusaders passed through there headed to Shat via
        Labunova in 1379 and that they ignored the unfortified hamlet.
        At first the village was called "Kazdan" after the first settler who
        came from Kvidangen in Courland. Later the name changed
        to "Keidaniai," which in the Zamut Lithuanian dialect is "Kwiedajna".
        In archived documents it is called "Caiodunum" and "Civitas
        Caiodunenis" and "Keidany" - in Russian and Polish - and Keidan in
        Yiddish."

        --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, Nils Hornqvist

        Message 3 of 4 , May 19, 2008
          I suggest you contact Sam Aaron, the coordinator of the Raseiniai
          District Research Group. His ancestral town is Kvedarna, which is in
          the Raseiniai district. Sam is quite a scholar and may well know the
          answer to your question.

          Kvedarna came up a few weeks ago on this discussion list when a
          researcher was looking for his ancestors who he thought had lived in
          Keidan. It turned out they had lived in Kvedarna which is called
          Kveidan / Khveidan in Yiddish.

          I shall send you Sam's email address privately.

          Olga Zabludoff

          wrote:

          >      I'm investigating Swedish placenames beginning with KVID or
          KVED, which has the
          >      meaning 'enclosure of sheep or cattle'. In Swedish KVEDARNA as
          it stands is the plural
          >      form. So, what is the ethymologi of KVEDARNA ( CHWEIDAN)? Anyone?
          >      NH

        • Nils Hornqvist
          Message 4 of 4 , May 20, 2008

                   Thanx for an interesting mail, that gave me a background to my Q.

                   I was intrigued by "the first settler who came from Kvidangen in Courland".

                   KVIDANGEN in Swedish is " the meadow (or settlement) at (or near) the

                   enclosure where sheep are kept (to be milked))". Courland was also a battle-

                   ground for Polish-Swedish wars, in fact Courland was occupied by Sweden

                   for many years around 1630. All this might just be a coincidence, but in my mind

                   it is not entirely settled one way or the other. Are there archives at universities

                   or other institutions for place-names?

                   On many rune-stones (i.e. viking age) SEMGALLEN is mentioned as a settlement.
                   Further discussion is welcomed.

                   Best wishes