Keidan Vital Records Project: a different donation

    Message 1 of 1 , May 22, 2005
      Dear Keidaners:

      The good news keeps coming--this time in the form of a most unusual
      donation from Ben-Tsion Klibansky who lives in Israel. Ben-Tsion has
      donated to the Vital Records Indexing (VRI) project the English
      translations of ten years of Jewish vital records from Keidan--six
      complete sets of birth records and four complete years of marriage
      records. In short, a goldmine.

      In 1999 Ben-Tsion, who was born in Vilna in 1960, spent three weeks
      at the Lithuanian State Historical Archives copying records (which
      he subsequently translated) for his personal research. His father
      and grandfather had been born in Keidan; the family moved to Kovna
      in the 1930s. Ben-Tsion's father survived the Shoah by a twist of
      destiny. A week before the Nazis invaded Lithuania in June 1941, he
      was deported to Siberia by the Soviets.

      Our project is saving a good deal of money by acquiring ten years of
      translations, for which we thank Ben-Tsion deeply. But our need for
      funds is now greater than ever because we have discovered that the
      volume of our Keidan vital records is much more extensive than the
      original calculations. We had estimated 18,000 records. That figure
      has now escalated for two reasons: the Keidan records span into the
      year 1914 instead of ending at 1895, which had been the original
      finding. We have also discovered that many of the pages of records
      contain far greater numbers of entries than the original estimate of
      four entries per page. (Some of our birth records are twenty to a
      page.)

      Our translator, whom we are so fortunate to have, thanks to Joel
      Ratner, is busily working on our treasure trove. But we must keep
      the funds coming in if the project is to blossom to completion. It
      is not beyond our reach. We can accomplish the goal if all Keidaners
      are willing to be counted.

      Contributions to LitvakSIG http://www.jewishgen.org/litvak/donor.htm
      by check or credit card are tax-deductible as provided by law. Mail
      contributions to LITVAKSIG, Inc., File 50194, Los Angeles, CA 90074-
      0194. Contribution forms may be faxed to 661/299-9198. Please
      indicate KEDAINIAI for your VRI contribution.

      Olga Zabludoff, Coordinator
      Kedainiai/Keidan VRI Project