Re: Weinstein Family

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 16, 2005
      Josh,

      Thanks for your note, and welcome to the Keidan group. There was a
      Sam Weinstein listed as a member of the Keidaner Association of New
      York in 1930, and I see the name again (along with those of some
      family members) in the database of tombstones in New York
      cemeteries. If you don't already have all this information, I'd be
      glad to send it along. As for the name change possibility, have you
      tried researching the naturalization papers of Sam or Zalkin
      Weinstein, which might lead you back to the manifest of the ship
      they came over on? It's possible you might get some clues there.
      Best of luck with your research, and do keep us all posted on your
      progress.

      Andy Cassel

      Josh Weinstein, NYC
    • Josh Weinstein
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 17, 2005
        Andy,

        I greatly appreciate your efforts. I was
        familiar with the other resources. My dad Ben
        Weinstein as well as members of my grandmother's
        family(Lubetkin descendents of Dov,Izhik Ha Levi) were
        also in the Keidaner Society. It looks as though I
        have come to the end of the line since any relevant
        records would involve nineteenth century Lithuanian
        sources, some of which I have already reviewed.

        I should mention that I am conducting this
        search in conjunction with having my dna tested.
        Familytree dna is an excellent resource for family
        searches. They have a fairly large database with many
        Jewish samples that can help identify extant but
        unknown relatives provided a surname connection is
        established.

        Thanks again,

        Josh

        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250