Re:Mogel Family

  • Ada Green
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 9, 2007
      On Thu Mar 8, 2007 6:45 am (PST) belinda.kaye@... wrote:

      > Am wondering whether anybody on this group has knowledge of the Mogel
      > Family. According to the Jewishgen Website Max Mogel was buried in
      > the Keidan Burial Plot Mount Hebron New York. I'm especially
      > interested in Dovra nee Aaronfsky and Yitzhak Mogel.

      Chances are that Max MOGEL's mother, Dora ARONOFSKY was originally from
      Kaunas or Vilijampole. Burials in the Keidaner plot at Mt. Hebron Cemetery
      are apparently not what they appear to be. This is a long and complex
      story that I will relate here. Relate yes, but figure out, no.

      I am the person who cataloged Chevra Bnei Israel Anshe Keidan, Block 57,
      Path 2 at Mt. Hebron Cemetery as well as the immediately adjacent Kovner
      Unterstizungs Verein, Block 57, Path 3. The boundary line between these
      two societies is very clearly delineated and demarcated with posts and from
      a visual standpoint there is no way that anyone could get the burials in
      one society mixed up with the other, as there often can be with other New
      York area burial societies where the boundary may not be so clear.

      However, from the start there has been an inexplicable problem with these
      two plots. Max MOGEL is in the Keidaner plot, but his wife Celia is in the
      adjacent Kovner plot. Abraham CHASEN is in the Keidaner plot, but his
      parents, Vandziogala natives Gersen and Rose CHASEN, are in the Kovner
      plot. Morris and Rachel EPSTEIN are in the Keidaner plot but their sons
      Barney, Herman, Isidor and Samuel are in the Kovner plot. Nettie FINE is
      in the Keidaner plot, but her husband Hyman is in the Kovner plot. Fannie
      GELLER is in the Keidaner plot, but her husband Koppel is in the Kovner
      plot. Aaron KAHN is in the Keidaner plot, but his wife Sarah R. is in the
      Kovner plot. Gussie KATZ is in the Keidaner plot, but her parents Louis
      and Rachel and her sister Fay are in the Kovner plot. Jennie LEVINE is in
      the Keidaner plot, but her husband Isaac is in the Kovner plot. Boris
      LUSKIN is in the Keidaner plot, but his wife Celia is in the Kovner
      plot. Rachel PORTER is in the Keidaner plot, but her parents Jack and
      Sarah are in the Kovner plot. Simon SHIFMAN and his son Samuel are in the
      Keidaner plot, but Simon's wife and Samuel's mother Tillie is in the Kovner
      plot. Jennie SMITH and her son Irving are in the Keidaner plot, but
      Jennie's husband and Irving's father Morris is in the Kovner plot. Samuel
      TELZER is in the Keidaner plot, but his wife Sophie and his brothers
      Abraham and Louis are in the Kovner plot. There may be a few other cases
      like this as well, but I've more than made the point that something strange
      is going on here.

      These two societies are both defunct so there's no way of asking them
      what's the story. Nor does the cemetery have any answers. So in all my
      previous lectures on New York Jewish cemeteries I've been saying that the
      land on which the Keidaner plot sits probably once belonged only to the
      Kovner society, which is by far the larger of the two societies, and that
      the Kovner plot was subsequently subdivided into two separate plots to
      accommodate the Keidaner society.

      When I originally cataloged the Keidaner plot, it had a total of 49
      burials. However, it now has only 27 burials. For the JewishGen Online
      Worldwide Burial Registry (JOWBR), within the past two weeks I have
      transferred 22 burials in the Keidaner plot over to the adjacent Kovner
      plot, including Max MOGEL and all of the other Keidaner burials mentioned
      above (plus a few others). No, the burials certainly have not been
      physically moved or reinterred. The reason is because according to Mt.
      Hebron's Cemetery's new online interment database at
      http://www.mounthebroncemetery.com/search.asp?type=interment, Max MOGEL and
      all of the other people mentioned above are in the Kovner plot. Yes, these
      particular graves physically look like they are in the Keidaner plot, but
      according to the cemetery database they are in the the Kovner plot and the
      cemetery would certainly know better than I because presumably they have
      the deed to the plots.

      The Kovner plot is competely full with no room for more burials, whereas
      there is plenty of room in the Keidaner plot. So one can argue that when
      the Kovner plot got filled up, the society used the adjacent Keidaner plot
      for subsequent Kovner society burials. However, that theory doesn't hold
      water because Rachel PORTER who died in 1931 is buried on the grounds of
      the Keidaner plot, but her father Jack who died close to 40 years later, in
      1970, is buried in the Kovner plot. Plus Max and Celia MOGEL died within
      two years of each other, in 1942 and 1944, respectively, and are buried on
      the grounds of the Keidaner and Kovner plots, respectively. So I don't get
      it, I don't get it, I don't get it. Nor will I try any longer to get
      it. Even though Max MOGEL is physically on the grounds of the Keidaner
      society, if the cemetery database says that he's in the Kovner UV plot with
      his wife Celia, then so it is.

      Thus the point that I want to make is that Max MOGEL was most likely not
      from Keidan. The surname of his mother, ARONOFSKY is found most frequently
      in Kaunas and Vilijampole, although it's found in other Kaunas district
      shtetls as well, including Ariogala. Check the LitvakSIG All Lithuania
      Database. Variant spellings of the same surname are ARANOVSKY, ARENOVSKI,
      and ARINOVSKY, amongst others. The ending "SKI" can also be "SKIJ".

      Max MOGEL's original surname may have been MAGULEVSKY (and spelling
      variants). There were families with this surname from Ariogala and
      Dotnuva. Or his surname may have been MEYGEL, which is a family from
      Cekiske. His wife Celia's maiden name was NAVIASKY (NEVIAZKY, NEVIAZHSKY,
      NEVYAZHSKIJ), which is found primarily in Kaunas, but to a lesser extent in
      Vilijampole and Josvainiai.

      Hopefully this will point you in the right direction to look in the All
      Lithuania Database, but all evidence indicates that neither Max MOGEL nor
      his mother nor his wife were from Keidan and the first place you probably
      should look for the family of his mother and his wife is Kaunas and
      Vilijampole.

      Ada Green
      adagreen@...
    • Gus Levy
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 9, 2007
        I see where you got an answer from Ada Green, who really knows her Keiden history. She is the one to carry on. Indeed, she mentioned where Dora's family came from (not Keidan). I took the liberty of contacting Mt. Carmel for you. No Mogel is interred there.

        If you wish to contact Washington Cemetery (NOT Mt. Washington, I erred) the address is Washington Cemetery, 5400 Bay Parkway, Brooklyn, NY 11230.

        Listen to Ada, she is a champ on this.

        Gus.
          Does anyone know anything about my great grand father Nasaniel Aron Dubinsky?

        • Linda Dubins
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 10, 2007
            There is also a Keidan section of a cemetery in Queens, NY.

            To: JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 11, 2007
              Dear Ada

              Thank you so much for such a detailed reply. Obviously living in
              London I had no idea about the confusion over the different society
              Plots. However if you don't understand what went on at the cemetery
              I'm not even going to try to figure it out from here.

              I will take your advice and who knows I may even find the origins to
              Dvora and Yitzhak - my Great Great Grandparents.

              On a more personal note I wish to take this opportunity to thank you
              for your fantastic work and extensive research. I had no previous
              knowledge of Max Mogel which in turn lead me to Dvora and her other
              children in the USA.

              Once again thank you so much.

              Belinda Kaye
              Researching Mogel Aaronosky Kravitz - Lithuania
            • Belinda Kaye
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 11, 2007
                Dear Gus

                Thanks so much for contacting the cemetery.  I will now write to Washington Cemetery to see whether she is buried there.

                I hope to go to New York later this year and now I know my Great Great Grandmother is buried in the City I hope to be able to locate and visit her.

                I greatly appreciate your help.

                Belinda Kaye

              • Belinda Kaye
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 11, 2007
                  Many thanks - I'm from London and not really up on all the different societies but going by the advice given I think my best bet would be to look for Kovner Burial Societies.

                  Belinda Kaye

                  To: JewishKeidan@ yahoogroups. com

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 11, 2007
                    Thanks very much, Gus and Belinda, for such nice compliments about my
                    research work on Keidaners buried in US Keidaner burial society plots and
                    glad it was helpful to both of you.

                    To those of you who aren't aware, not only did I catalog the burials in the
                    Keidaner plot at Mt. Hebron Cemetery in Flushing, Queens, NY (which is the
                    smallest of the Keidaner plots), but also the ones in the all the other
                    Keidaner plots known to be in existence (3 at Washington Cemetery in
                    Brooklyn, one at Montefiore Cemetery in St. Albans, Queens, and the Kadaner
                    Unt. Verein at Waldheim Cemetery in Chicago).

                    I have also cataloged the burials in the landsmanshaftn plots in the New
                    York metropolitan area for all towns in the entire Kaunas uyezd that have
                    them, including Kaunas (Kovno), Vilijampole (Slobodka), Ariogala (Rogale),
                    Krakes (Krok), Babtai (Bobt), Jonava, Seredzius (Szrednik) and Vilkija
                    (Vilki). For all of these particular landsmanshaftn plots, with the
                    exception of Babtai, Jonava, and Seredzius/Vilkija, I have looked up the
                    New York City death certificate for each pre-1949 burial that has one on
                    file and added the information to the database (see the next paragraph as
                    to which database I am referring). That's how I knew that Dora MOGEL's
                    maiden name was ARONOFSKY because that information is not found on her
                    gravestone. [Kaunas uyezd towns in the vicinity of Keidan that
                    unfortunately have no landsmanshaftn plots are Josvainiai, Dotnuva,
                    Grinkiskis, Cekiske, Labunava, Vandziogala, Veliuona, and Zeimiai.]

                    These burials can be searched in the JewishGen Online Worldwide Burial
                    Registry (JOWBR) at http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/cemetery/ . The
                    Keidaner burials are also listed on Andy Cassel's "A Hole In the Heart"
                    Keidan website at http://www.keidan.net/ , although the information on them
                    gleaned from the New York City death certificates can be found only in the
                    JOWBR.

                    Belinda, your gggm Dora MOGEL, who died in Brooklyn on 4 January 1922 at
                    the age of 75, is not buried in any of the aforementioned landsmanshaftn
                    plots -- neither for Keidan, nor Kovno, nor for any of the other shtetls in
                    Kaunas uyezd. Please don't assume that just because someone was from a
                    certain town that they were buried in the landsmanshaftn plot for that
                    town. Not only could Jewish immigrants have been buried in a
                    landsmanshaftn plot that wasn't from the town or even the country that they
                    hailed from, but they could have been buried in a synagogue plot or some
                    other type of organizational plot (occupational, labor, fraternal,
                    etc.). My gf's sister, Lena GREENBLATT RICEMAN, and her husband Max
                    RICEMAN, who were both from Seta (Shat), Lithuania (near Keidan), are for
                    unknown reason buried in a plot for Chomsk, Belarus in Chicago's Waldheim
                    Cemetery.

                    So for your own sake please don't spin any more wheels looking for Dora
                    MOGEL in either Keidan or Kovno plots. And no need to write Washington
                    Cemetery in Brooklyn. I will try to call them on the first day that I will
                    be home this week during their regular business hours and see if Dora MOGEL
                    is buried elsewhere in their cemetery. Gus is correct that she is not
                    buried in New Mt. Carmel Cemetery. A search of the Mt. Carmel/New Mt.
                    Carmel online interment database at
                    http://www.mountcarmelcemetery.com/search.asp just for the first name Dora
                    in the year 1922 (regardless of surname) shows only 2 people by that
                    name. This is assuming that their database is complete, of course. I have
                    no reason to doubt that their database is not complete because out of the 8
                    burial societies that I have cataloged in Mt. Carmel and New Mt. Carmel
                    Cemeteries, all the burials are in their online database.

                    The next time I go to Mt. Hebron Cemetery I will ask the office if they can
                    show me a plot map for Chevra Bnei Israel Anshe Keidan to see whether it
                    can shed any further light as to why 22 of the 49 burials in the plot,
                    including Max MOGEL, are considered part of the adjacent Kovner Unt.
                    Verein. Perhaps there's a pattern that I'm not aware of, such as only
                    those buried in the back row. Although I don't have any immediate plans to
                    go to Mt. Hebron in the near future, when I do I will report back here if I
                    discover the answer to the mystery that I related here several days ago.

                    Ada Green
                  • Gus Levy
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 11, 2007
                      ADA - - - you are a champion!
                      Gus
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 13, 2007
                          I saw your letter on the digest.

                           I don't suppose that your surname was Kaminsky before it was Kaye, was it?

                          Rica B Goldberg
                          Manchester, UK

                          Still researching:- ESTRY from somewhere in Poland; BERLINSKIE from Charlottenburg in Berlin; KAMENSHCHIK from Zeimia and Jonova in Lithuania; DIAMOND from Kovno Gubernia; FRANK from Garliava in Lithuania; LEVI & LESCZINSKIJ from Sompolno in Poland; PETEROFSKIE from Poland, SHELENGER/SHLESINGER (or SHLUZITEL)  from Vabalninkas in Lithuania.