Gordon family in Keidan may have come from Cekiske

  • julian
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2006
      Hi

      I think my gordon family might have lived in Cekiske in late
      1700's/early 1800's, has anyone done any research on that town. I also
      think my lebowitz family could have come from there as well, anyone
      got any info?

      Thanks
      Julian
    • David
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2006
        --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, "julian" <julianlebowitz@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > I think my gordon family might have lived in Cekiske in late
        > 1700's/early 1800's, has anyone done any research on that town. I also
        > think my lebowitz family could have come from there as well, anyone
        > got any info?
        >
        > Thanks
        > Julian

        Julian, the Jewish Family History Foundation's Grand Duchy of
        Lithuania Project has 18th (and 17th century records) for almost every
        Jewish kahal (community) in Lithuania and Belarus. See our
        alphabetical list of towns. We not only have a 1784 and 1765
        poll-tax/census list for Cekiske, but also for Keidan.

        Since Jews did not have surnames in the 18th century, it is important
        to identify you ancestors on early 19th century revision lists where
        they do have surnames, and hopefully some of them will have been old
        enough to have been alive and on the 1784 census lists.

        Again fortunately, on our webpage you will find an 1816 revision list
        for Cekiske.

        Access to the 18th century records for Cekiske (see Status of Projects
        on our homepage) has been translated, but will be limited to donors
        for nearly a year. If you find your family on the 1816 revision list,
        and are interested in making a contribution to the Cekiske project,
        you can receive an excel spreadsheet of the data now.

        David Hoffman, Ph.D.
        www.jewishfamilyhistory.org
        GDLProject@...
      • Dr Asherson

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2006
            Thanks David
            Please let me know how to apply and costs
            (Seems the website is notrunning currently, when i
            tried to use search function

            Thanks
            Julian

          • julian lebowitz
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 2, 2006
              Thanks Ronald
              I am originally from South Africa, been in Canada for
              6 years
              My grandfather was Michael gordon, is he in your
              family tree. I believe his great grandfather was
              Girsh/Hirsh gordon

              Thanks
              Julian