Weinstein Family

  • jgw111
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 14, 2005
      I am searching for any information on the family of Sam
      (Yehoshua) Weinstein. In the Keidaner cemetary in Brooklyn his
      tombstone indicates that he was the son of Zalkin, but I can find no
      trace of Zalkin Weinstein. To complicate matters I was once told by
      an aunt that Weinstein was an assumed name.Coincidentally, I have
      been in contact with another(unrelated) researcher who had the
      identical story, i.e. a Keidaner Weinstein family where the name was
      assumed.Probably the name was changed from Smith.

      On an unrelated relationship matter,I was named after my
      grandfather Yehoshua. However my parents named me Yeshua and I never
      knew about Yehoshua Weinstein until my geneology search. As one
      might guess, my hebrew school teacher insisted that Yeshua was not
      my name. Just as Yeshua was a shortened version of Yehoshua in
      biblical times, is it possible that the name was shortened among
      eastern european Jews despite the historical concerns.

      Josh Weinstein, NYC
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 16, 2005
        Josh,

        Thanks for your note, and welcome to the Keidan group. There was a
        Sam Weinstein listed as a member of the Keidaner Association of New
        York in 1930, and I see the name again (along with those of some
        family members) in the database of tombstones in New York
        cemeteries. If you don't already have all this information, I'd be
        glad to send it along. As for the name change possibility, have you
        tried researching the naturalization papers of Sam or Zalkin
        Weinstein, which might lead you back to the manifest of the ship
        they came over on? It's possible you might get some clues there.
        Best of luck with your research, and do keep us all posted on your
        progress.

        Andy Cassel

        Josh Weinstein, NYC
      • Josh Weinstein
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 17, 2005
          Andy,

          I greatly appreciate your efforts. I was
          familiar with the other resources. My dad Ben
          Weinstein as well as members of my grandmother's
          family(Lubetkin descendents of Dov,Izhik Ha Levi) were
          also in the Keidaner Society. It looks as though I
          have come to the end of the line since any relevant
          records would involve nineteenth century Lithuanian
          sources, some of which I have already reviewed.

          I should mention that I am conducting this
          search in conjunction with having my dna tested.
          Familytree dna is an excellent resource for family
          searches. They have a fairly large database with many
          Jewish samples that can help identify extant but
          unknown relatives provided a surname connection is
          established.

          Thanks again,

          Josh

          http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250