Re: Palatinski/Palatinsky

    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 3, 2006
      Dear Mendy,

      I don't know whether you are looking for records of your Palatinsky
      family or actual family members. If the former, there are 15 birth
      records in the Keidan vital records database. The years are 1875 (2
      records), 1880 (1), 1892 (1), 1895 (2), 1897 (1), 1899 (1), 1901 (2),
      1902 (2), 1903 (1), 1908 (1), 1910 (1). There is also one 1890 marriage
      record in which the bride was Sara Fruma, daughter of Meir Palatinsky.
      She married Izrael Margolis. The birth records are easy to group into a
      family because of repetitious patronymics, most of which are Leib, Meir,
      and Vulf.

      Please contact me if you are interested in acquiring these records
      through joining the LitvakSIG Keidan Vital Records Project.

      Olga Zabludoff

      ozabludoff@...

      --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, "mendypalatinski"
      <mendypalatinski@...> wrote:

      > Still looking for Palatinski/Palatinski family members. It seems the
      > Keidan/South Africa connection was going great guns during the first
      > part of the 20th century. My father's uncle, Alec Palatinsky
      > emigrated to South Africa while his brother Louis made it to New York.
      > My Father was the sole survivor of his family who remained behind in
      > Keidan. His name was Meir Palatinsky, and he died in Los Angeles as
      > Max Palatt in 1983.

    • arn pol
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 5, 2006
        Hello all (Olga and Mendy),
        I would like to thank you for the interesting emails I received from you.I am certainly interested in acquiring the records and would like to join the  Litvak Keidan vital records project.
        There are many similarities ,except for the spelling of the surname although an uncle (Dov z'l who landed up in Italy) did spell the name Palatinsky.
        My late father  and his brothers z'l came to South Africa in the early part of the 20th century 1915? onwards at the ages of 16 or so?. The names were  Eliyahu (Alec) Zalmon Gershon (Solly) and Mendel.There was also a sister Anna z'l who eventually ended up in New York. They were traders living in the Orange Free State (South Africa) other family connections and names are Shapiro and Kaplan.
        Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.
        With thanks,
        Arnold Polatinsky

        ozabludoff@verizon. net

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 5, 2006

          Hello Arnold:

          You address a good point about the spelling variations of your surname. I didn't even get into that in my earlier message. The database includes 1 Palatinsky, 2 Polatinskys, 13 Politinskys, and, believe it or not (I just noticed it) 1 Politin born in 1885. All of these are very clearly members of the same family. In the case of the records, I attribute the spelling differences more to the way the scribe chose to record the name in the records than to real differences in the spelling.  And then there may be slightly different transliterations from the Cyrillic, depending on the translator. (The vital records were recorded in Russian on one side of the page and in Hebrew on the facing page.)

          By the way, there is a Dovid/David, an Eliash/Eliahu, a Zalman, Mendel and two Khayas (one of whom may be the Anna). A few of the dates appear to be too early for the time period you're talking about though. The database also has many Kaplans and Shapiros, but I don't know whether they are your ancestors.

          I don't usually like to "sell" on this nice discussion group, but since you asked, I am giving you the details below.

          The LitvakSIG Vital Records Translation Project is staffed by volunteers like me, but we do use professional translators to translate the records, and this is why we raise funds. A $100 contribution entitles one to receive all of the translated vital records. It is a work in progress. The Keidan birth records have been completed, and the marriage records are nearing completion. I expect to finish those by the end of 2006. Then we will work on the death records and, finally, the divorce records. Members of the group receive monthly distributions of records as Excel spreadsheets. Most have found ancestors as well as ancestors they never knew about in the database.

          Keidan is fortunate in having a large volume of surviving vital records--more so than most shtetlach in Lithuania. Our group is ever growing which means there is no danger of the project folding before it is completed. I hope you will join us. Please let me know if you do so that I may send you the records sooner rather than later. (It normally takes a month from the time a donation is sent in until I receive confirmation from the treasurer.)

          Contributions to LitvakSIG  http://www.jewishgen.org/litvak/HTML/donor.htm
          by check or credit card are tax-deductible as provided by law.  Mail contributions to LitvakSIG, Inc., File 50194, Los Angeles, CA 90074-0194. Contribution forms may be faxed to  717/815-0082. Please include town (for vital records) or district research group (for other types of records) and e-mail address with your contribution.

          All the best,

          Olga Zabludoff, Coordinator, LitvakSIG

          Keidan Vital Records Translation Project

        • julianandlee
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 5, 2006
            I knew a Barney Shapiro from the Free State in South Africa (from Heilbron i believe)

            Julian
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 7, 2006
              Thanks for the info every liile bit helps.
              There was a Shapiro in Heilbron ,my family was from Jo'burg.
              All the best,
              Arnie

              julianandlee <lebofam@...> wrote:
[...]

              Check out the all-new Yahoo! Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.

            • Zlotnick family
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 13, 2011
                 Hi  I am also a  Keidan decendant. My Father was born in Keidan 1902 and emmigrated  +_ 1920 to South  Africa I was born in SA and made Aliya 1961
                  Our thoughts will be  with all Keidans on Yom Hazikaron
                                 Shalom (Cecil)  Zlotnick

                DISCLAIMER: This mail message was scanned for malicious content by Quality Bytes Mail Security when leaving the gateway