Re: Keidan

    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 29, 2006
      Gerson,

      The closest I can find to MERYASH is an 1880 marriage in which the
      bride was Elka, daughter of Girsh/Hirsh MEREGASH from Ariogala. She
      married Moshe (son of Aron Shmuel) DUSKY.

      The scribe's handwriting on that set of records was atrocious, both
      in the Cyrillic and the Hebrew. My best reading of the Hebrew is
      MEREGASH, same as the translator's interpretation of the Cyrillic.

      Whatever...whether this is your family or not, I would say they did
      not have a substantial presence in Keidan if one can judge from the
      5,000+ translated birth and marriage records.

      Olga

      --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, "Gus Levy" <w2lap@...> wrote:

      > I really would appreciate any further information on the MERYASH
      family.

      > Gerson Levy

    • Gus Levy
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 29, 2006
        Thank you Olga. However, I do have substantial information on the MERYASH
        family.
        in the 1874 Kedainiai family list my maternal grandmother Breina Taube is
        listed under the Zalmonovich household. She later married Abraham Meryash.

        Actually, I knew most of the people buried in the Washington Cemetery
        gravesite. Indeed, Ida Green did a wonderful job of listing the folks buried
        there, and since I actually knew them I corrected some of her entries.

        Gerson Levy
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 30, 2006
            Judith,

            There was quite a large ARISTU family in Keidan. They show up in
            both the birth and marriage records.

            Olga

            --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, "Judith S. Schachter"
            <judithsschachter@...> wrote:

            > I am new to this search ofr relatives beyond my maternal
            grandparents, both
            > of whom came to NYC as teenagers from keidan. My gransfather,
            Samual was at
            > one time the president of the Kedaner Society in NY. His name was
            Goldstein
            > and hers was Tillie Rosen-- she came to NYC with her parents and
            younger
            > sister via Cyprus [the Rothschild Colony] and Palestine. Family
            belief was
            > that his name had been Ariston but we have no record nor am I sure
            of the
            > date he came.. probably around 1875.
            >
            > My cousin has done more research so I am sending a copy of this to
            her. If
            > you have an answer of how to follow up we'd both appreciate it.
            >
            > Cordially,
            > Judith S. Scahchter

          • Judith S. Schachter
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
              Thank you.. My cousin thought it was Aristur so I am sending this on to her.

              She will visit me soon and perhaps we can turn to you with a more specific
              question.

              Very appreciative.

              Judith S. Schachter
            • Linda Dubins
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
                To Fellow Keidaner "children,"
                This may sound a bit bizarre, but if any of us of Keidan ancestry needed any type of organ transplant (Bone Marrow, for instance) , we might try among ourselves to get HLA (like DNA) tested, to see if any of us would be a candidate to be a donor...It would be a miracle if any of us could save a life that way.
                Le shana tova & Good "yun-tuf."
                Linda

              • Gus Levy
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 1, 2006
                  What a wonderful idea. I'm 85 years old, but I am willing to save a Jewish life.
                  Le shana tova.

                  Gerson Levy

                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 27, 2006
                    Hello Gus.

                    You'll be glad to hear I located the marriage record of your maternal
                    grandmother, Taube bat David ZELMANOVICH. Indeed she married Abram ben
                    Shaul MERYASH of Ariogala in 1880.

                    Olga

                    --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, "Gus Levy" <w2lap@...> wrote:

                    > Thank you Olga. However, I do have substantial information on the
                    MERYASH
                    > family.
                    > in the 1874 Kedainiai family list my maternal grandmother Breina Taube
                    is
                    > listed under the Zalmonovich household. She later married Abraham
                    Meryash.

                    > Actually, I knew most of the people buried in the Washington Cemetery
                    > gravesite. Indeed, Ida Green did a wonderful job of listing the folks
                    buried
                    > there, and since I actually knew them I corrected some of her entries.
                    >
                    > Gerson Levy

                  • mendypalatinski
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
                      Still looking for Palatinski/Palatinski family members. It seems the
                      Keidan/South Africa connection was going great guns during the first
                      part of the 20th century. My father's uncle, Alec Palatinsky
                      emigrated to South Africa while his brother Louis made it to New York.
                      My Father was the sole survivor of his family who remained behind in
                      Keidan. His name was Meir Palatinsky, and he died in Los Angeles as
                      Max Palatt in 1983.
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 3, 2006
                        Dear Mendy,

                        I don't know whether you are looking for records of your Palatinsky
                        family or actual family members. If the former, there are 15 birth
                        records in the Keidan vital records database. The years are 1875 (2
                        records), 1880 (1), 1892 (1), 1895 (2), 1897 (1), 1899 (1), 1901 (2),
                        1902 (2), 1903 (1), 1908 (1), 1910 (1). There is also one 1890 marriage
                        record in which the bride was Sara Fruma, daughter of Meir Palatinsky.
                        She married Izrael Margolis. The birth records are easy to group into a
                        family because of repetitious patronymics, most of which are Leib, Meir,
                        and Vulf.

                        Please contact me if you are interested in acquiring these records
                        through joining the LitvakSIG Keidan Vital Records Project.

                        Olga Zabludoff

                        ozabludoff@...

                        --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, "mendypalatinski"
                        <mendypalatinski@...> wrote:

                        > Still looking for Palatinski/Palatinski family members. It seems the
                        > Keidan/South Africa connection was going great guns during the first
                        > part of the 20th century. My father's uncle, Alec Palatinsky
                        > emigrated to South Africa while his brother Louis made it to New York.
                        > My Father was the sole survivor of his family who remained behind in
                        > Keidan. His name was Meir Palatinsky, and he died in Los Angeles as
                        > Max Palatt in 1983.

                      • arn pol
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 5, 2006
                          Hello all (Olga and Mendy),
                          I would like to thank you for the interesting emails I received from you.I am certainly interested in acquiring the records and would like to join the  Litvak Keidan vital records project.
                          There are many similarities ,except for the spelling of the surname although an uncle (Dov z'l who landed up in Italy) did spell the name Palatinsky.
                          My late father  and his brothers z'l came to South Africa in the early part of the 20th century 1915? onwards at the ages of 16 or so?. The names were  Eliyahu (Alec) Zalmon Gershon (Solly) and Mendel.There was also a sister Anna z'l who eventually ended up in New York. They were traders living in the Orange Free State (South Africa) other family connections and names are Shapiro and Kaplan.
                          Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.
                          With thanks,
                          Arnold Polatinsky

                          ozabludoff@verizon. net

                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 5, 2006

                            Hello Arnold:

                            You address a good point about the spelling variations of your surname. I didn't even get into that in my earlier message. The database includes 1 Palatinsky, 2 Polatinskys, 13 Politinskys, and, believe it or not (I just noticed it) 1 Politin born in 1885. All of these are very clearly members of the same family. In the case of the records, I attribute the spelling differences more to the way the scribe chose to record the name in the records than to real differences in the spelling.  And then there may be slightly different transliterations from the Cyrillic, depending on the translator. (The vital records were recorded in Russian on one side of the page and in Hebrew on the facing page.)

                            By the way, there is a Dovid/David, an Eliash/Eliahu, a Zalman, Mendel and two Khayas (one of whom may be the Anna). A few of the dates appear to be too early for the time period you're talking about though. The database also has many Kaplans and Shapiros, but I don't know whether they are your ancestors.

                            I don't usually like to "sell" on this nice discussion group, but since you asked, I am giving you the details below.

                            The LitvakSIG Vital Records Translation Project is staffed by volunteers like me, but we do use professional translators to translate the records, and this is why we raise funds. A $100 contribution entitles one to receive all of the translated vital records. It is a work in progress. The Keidan birth records have been completed, and the marriage records are nearing completion. I expect to finish those by the end of 2006. Then we will work on the death records and, finally, the divorce records. Members of the group receive monthly distributions of records as Excel spreadsheets. Most have found ancestors as well as ancestors they never knew about in the database.

                            Keidan is fortunate in having a large volume of surviving vital records--more so than most shtetlach in Lithuania. Our group is ever growing which means there is no danger of the project folding before it is completed. I hope you will join us. Please let me know if you do so that I may send you the records sooner rather than later. (It normally takes a month from the time a donation is sent in until I receive confirmation from the treasurer.)

                            Contributions to LitvakSIG  http://www.jewishgen.org/litvak/HTML/donor.htm
                            by check or credit card are tax-deductible as provided by law.  Mail contributions to LitvakSIG, Inc., File 50194, Los Angeles, CA 90074-0194. Contribution forms may be faxed to  717/815-0082. Please include town (for vital records) or district research group (for other types of records) and e-mail address with your contribution.

                            All the best,

                            Olga Zabludoff, Coordinator, LitvakSIG

                            Keidan Vital Records Translation Project

                          • julianandlee
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 5, 2006
                              I knew a Barney Shapiro from the Free State in South Africa (from Heilbron i believe)

                              Julian
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 7, 2006
                                Thanks for the info every liile bit helps.
                                There was a Shapiro in Heilbron ,my family was from Jo'burg.
                                All the best,
                                Arnie

                                julianandlee <lebofam@...> wrote:
[...]

                                Check out the all-new Yahoo! Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.

                              • Zlotnick family
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 13, 2011
                                   Hi  I am also a  Keidan decendant. My Father was born in Keidan 1902 and emmigrated  +_ 1920 to South  Africa I was born in SA and made Aliya 1961
                                    Our thoughts will be  with all Keidans on Yom Hazikaron
                                                   Shalom (Cecil)  Zlotnick

                                  DISCLAIMER: This mail message was scanned for malicious content by Quality Bytes Mail Security when leaving the gateway