More on Keidan Vital Records Indexing Project

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2005
      Dear Fellow Keidaners:

      February has been a good month for the acquisition of funds for the
      Keidan VRI Project. I wish to thank those individuals who have made
      contributions to the fund. Not only are the dollars important, but
      it is the display of confidence in the project that I find both
      energizing and rewarding. We have now reached 10% of our goal.

      LitvakSIG has about 18,000 vital records from the Jewish community
      of Keidan spanning the 19th century: birth, marriage, divorce and
      death records. It takes a good deal of money to create an English-
      language searchable database for 18,000 records written in a variety
      of languages that most of us can't read. With the exception of
      paying translators, all the other tasks involved in this project are
      being performed by volunteers. This appeal is not for a cause, not
      for a mitzvah. It is for an effort in which the contributors are the
      beneficiaries.

      A $100 donation entitles the donor to receive the translated records
      in Excel spreadsheets as soon as they are available. Donors have the
      option of making lesser contributions periodically and eventually
      totaling $100 to qualify for early results. Contributions of any
      amount are welcome, and the records will be submitted for posting to
      the All Lithuania Database (ALD) without delay.

      Please help make March even better than February. If this project is
      to be completed by the end of 2005 (that is my aim), it is going to
      require a unified response. This is all about UNITY. We can't expect
      the next guy to support a project of this scope.

      The LitvakSIG donor form is accessed by clicking on
      http://www.jewishgen.org/litvak/donor.htm
      Please fill in "Kedainiai" manually under Vital Records Indexing
      Project. Or you can email me to request the new Excel format VRI
      donor form created by LitvakSIG treasurer Richard H. Hoffman.

      Thanks for your support.

      Olga Zabludoff
      Coordinator, Keidan VRI Project
      oz@...