Re: Keidaners! Now you can ask all...Again

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 27, 2006
      Hi Ron,

      I have been looking out for the Isher STUNG-Yetta/Enta SMIDT
      marriage record for some time. If it ever existed it no longer does.
      The marriage records jump from 1861 to 1865; 1862-1864 did not
      survive.

      But one thing bothers me about your "lost" record. If the marriage
      took place between 1862-1864, there most likely would have been a
      string of births in the following years. There are 28 STUNG/SHTUNG
      birth records between the years 1865-1914, but none of them show the
      parents as Isher STUNG and Yetta/Enta SMIDT.

      There are 13 marriage records so far for STUNG (12 brides and 1
      groom)but the groom is not Isher. There are more STUNG records in
      those I have yet to proof.

      Perhaps you are missing something by focusing 100% on the Isher
      STUNG-Yetta/Enta SMIDT marriage. You told me some time ago that this
      was a theory for the birth of the name ASHERSON/ISHERSON. It is a
      tantalizing possibility, but the fact is that nothing has come of
      this theory. Is it perhaps time to start looking for other clues?

      Best,
      Olga

      --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, "Dr Asherson" <ashron@...>
      wrote:

      > We are having difficulty in finding any records of a marriage of a
      Stung
      > (Isher) to a Yetta (or Enta ) Smidt/Smit or Smiedt) in the early
      > 1860's...their first daughter was born in 1865 and three sons
      > thereafter....The entire Stung family seems to have vanished
      without a trace
      > ? died in the Holocaust or changed their names..Can you assist ?
      Prof Ronald
      > Asherson, South Africa

    • julianlebowitz
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 26, 2006
        Hi, i am a new member and new to geneology in general. I now live in
        Toronto but all of my family that came from Keidan livedin South
        Africa.
        My Grandfather - Michal (Mike)Zalman Gordon came from Keidan i
        believe in 1928 and was born in 1910. I am very eager to obtain
        information about his family, of which i know very little about. I
        am told his parents were Devorah and Nocham (Nachum?) Gordon. Please
        let me know the best way to research my family, any info on birth
        certificates, or other vital statisitcs would be great.

        Also i see on jewishgen.org that there is a posting from the "Anshei
        Keidan, Washington" about a Michal Zalman Gordon from Keidan, but
        who lived most likely in Washington (the hebrew name does not match
        my grandfathers) and could very well be family of ours, anyone know
        how to contcat them?

        Thanks
        Julian Lebowitz

        --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, "ozabludoff" <ozabludoff@...>

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 26, 2006

          Hi Julian,

          There are many Mikhel and Zalman GORDONs in the Keidan births and marriage databases. These seem to be popular GORDON names. There is one Mikhel Zalman GORDON who may have been your grandfather's grandfather. In 1903 Zise GORDON was born to Efroim and Dvoire GORDON. Efroim's father was Mikhel Zalman. There are many GORDON females in the databases also whose fathers are named Mikhel and Zalman.

          If you are interested in joining the LitvakSIG Keidan Vital Records Translation Project so that you can receive all the Keidan vital records, please contact me at ozabludoff@...

          Olga Zabludoff

        • julian lebowitz
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 27, 2006
            Hi Olga

            I want to join, please advise how
            Do you have these records that you speak of? Wow, i
            would dearly like to see these

            Thanks
            Julian

            --- ozabludoff <ozabludoff@...> wrote:

            > Hi Julian,
            >
            > There are many Mikhel and Zalman GORDONs in the
            > Keidan births and
            > marriage databases. These seem to be popular GORDON
            > names. There is one
            > Mikhel Zalman GORDON who may have been your
            > grandfather's grandfather.
            > In 1903 Zise GORDON was born to Efroim and Dvoire
            > GORDON. Efroim's
            > father was Mikhel Zalman. There are many GORDON
            > females in the databases
            > also whose fathers are named Mikhel and Zalman.
            >
            > If you are interested in joining the LitvakSIG
            > Keidan Vital Records
            > Translation Project so that you can receive all the
            > Keidan vital
            > records, please contact me at ozabludoff@...
            > <mailto:ozabludoff@...>
            >
            > Olga Zabludoff

          • Gus Levy
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 27, 2006
              HI JULIAN: My maternal grandmother Breina Taube Meryash, was a Zelmanovich
              (Americanized to Selman) and I suspect Mike Zalman Gordon were related, I
              know of no direct connection between the Gordon and Meryash family, except
              this possible one.

              Suggest you contact Ada Green, adagreen@... who is really knowledgeable
              and has done a tremendous amount of work on this subject.

              Sincerely,

              Gus Levy
            • julian lebowitz
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 27, 2006