Re: [JewishKeidan] Keidaners! Now you can ask all...Again

  • Steinsteve@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 27, 2006
      Olga,

      I would appreciate receiving any entries that mention LUBINSKY, GORDON, or BAKER/BEKER. Thanks!

      Steve

      P.S. Sorry I didn't get to meet you at the conference. I had too many SIGs to touch base with :-(

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 27, 2006
        We are having difficulty in finding any records of a marriage of a Stung
        (Isher) to a Yetta (or Enta ) Smidt/Smit or Smiedt) in the early
        1860's...their first daughter was born in 1865 and three sons
        thereafter....The entire Stung family seems to have vanished without a trace
        ? died in the Holocaust or changed their names..Can you assist ? Prof Ronald
        Asherson, South Africa

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 27, 2006
          Hi Steve,

          As you already know there are tons of birth records for BEKER and
          GORDON as well as several for LUBINSKY/LYUBINSKY.

          Re. the marriage records: four BEKERs (3 brides, 1 groom); fourteen
          GORDONs (10 brides, 4 grooms); one LUBINSKY (bride). With a little
          research I have found the married names of two LUBINSKY women.

          It's definitely time for you to join the Keidan Vital Records
          project. Your family surnames are already well represented; and with
          the volume of records yet to be translated, you are bound to get
          many more hits.

          Olga

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 27, 2006
            Hi Ron,

            I have been looking out for the Isher STUNG-Yetta/Enta SMIDT
            marriage record for some time. If it ever existed it no longer does.
            The marriage records jump from 1861 to 1865; 1862-1864 did not
            survive.

            But one thing bothers me about your "lost" record. If the marriage
            took place between 1862-1864, there most likely would have been a
            string of births in the following years. There are 28 STUNG/SHTUNG
            birth records between the years 1865-1914, but none of them show the
            parents as Isher STUNG and Yetta/Enta SMIDT.

            There are 13 marriage records so far for STUNG (12 brides and 1
            groom)but the groom is not Isher. There are more STUNG records in
            those I have yet to proof.

            Perhaps you are missing something by focusing 100% on the Isher
            STUNG-Yetta/Enta SMIDT marriage. You told me some time ago that this
            was a theory for the birth of the name ASHERSON/ISHERSON. It is a
            tantalizing possibility, but the fact is that nothing has come of
            this theory. Is it perhaps time to start looking for other clues?

            Best,
            Olga

            --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, "Dr Asherson" <ashron@...>
            wrote:

            > We are having difficulty in finding any records of a marriage of a
            Stung
            > (Isher) to a Yetta (or Enta ) Smidt/Smit or Smiedt) in the early
            > 1860's...their first daughter was born in 1865 and three sons
            > thereafter....The entire Stung family seems to have vanished
            without a trace
            > ? died in the Holocaust or changed their names..Can you assist ?
            Prof Ronald
            > Asherson, South Africa

          • julianlebowitz
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 26, 2006
              Hi, i am a new member and new to geneology in general. I now live in
              Toronto but all of my family that came from Keidan livedin South
              Africa.
              My Grandfather - Michal (Mike)Zalman Gordon came from Keidan i
              believe in 1928 and was born in 1910. I am very eager to obtain
              information about his family, of which i know very little about. I
              am told his parents were Devorah and Nocham (Nachum?) Gordon. Please
              let me know the best way to research my family, any info on birth
              certificates, or other vital statisitcs would be great.

              Also i see on jewishgen.org that there is a posting from the "Anshei
              Keidan, Washington" about a Michal Zalman Gordon from Keidan, but
              who lived most likely in Washington (the hebrew name does not match
              my grandfathers) and could very well be family of ours, anyone know
              how to contcat them?

              Thanks
              Julian Lebowitz

              --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, "ozabludoff" <ozabludoff@...>

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 26, 2006

                Hi Julian,

                There are many Mikhel and Zalman GORDONs in the Keidan births and marriage databases. These seem to be popular GORDON names. There is one Mikhel Zalman GORDON who may have been your grandfather's grandfather. In 1903 Zise GORDON was born to Efroim and Dvoire GORDON. Efroim's father was Mikhel Zalman. There are many GORDON females in the databases also whose fathers are named Mikhel and Zalman.

                If you are interested in joining the LitvakSIG Keidan Vital Records Translation Project so that you can receive all the Keidan vital records, please contact me at ozabludoff@...

                Olga Zabludoff

              • julian lebowitz
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 27, 2006
                  Hi Olga

                  I want to join, please advise how
                  Do you have these records that you speak of? Wow, i
                  would dearly like to see these

                  Thanks
                  Julian

                  --- ozabludoff <ozabludoff@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Julian,
                  >
                  > There are many Mikhel and Zalman GORDONs in the
                  > Keidan births and
                  > marriage databases. These seem to be popular GORDON
                  > names. There is one
                  > Mikhel Zalman GORDON who may have been your
                  > grandfather's grandfather.
                  > In 1903 Zise GORDON was born to Efroim and Dvoire
                  > GORDON. Efroim's
                  > father was Mikhel Zalman. There are many GORDON
                  > females in the databases
                  > also whose fathers are named Mikhel and Zalman.
                  >
                  > If you are interested in joining the LitvakSIG
                  > Keidan Vital Records
                  > Translation Project so that you can receive all the
                  > Keidan vital
                  > records, please contact me at ozabludoff@...
                  > <mailto:ozabludoff@...>
                  >
                  > Olga Zabludoff

                • Gus Levy
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 27, 2006
                    HI JULIAN: My maternal grandmother Breina Taube Meryash, was a Zelmanovich
                    (Americanized to Selman) and I suspect Mike Zalman Gordon were related, I
                    know of no direct connection between the Gordon and Meryash family, except
                    this possible one.

                    Suggest you contact Ada Green, adagreen@... who is really knowledgeable
                    and has done a tremendous amount of work on this subject.

                    Sincerely,

                    Gus Levy
                  • julian lebowitz
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 27, 2006