Keidaners! Now you can ask all...Again

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 26, 2006
      Dear Keidaners,

      Yesterday I distributed to the members of the Kedainiai Vital Records
      Translation project eight years of marriage records, bringing to
      twenty-one the total years of marriage records translated to date.
      This effort, which began in the spring, is nearing the halfway
      point. My goal is to complete the translation of the marriage
      records by the end of 2006. Some 4,300 birth records have already
      been translated and distributed to qualified donors.

      The Kedainiai VRT project has been proceeding at a steady pace since
      its beginning in early 2005. With voluminous sets of vital records,
      the project is expected to continue on track through the translation
      of divorce and death records. Keidan is one of the more fortunate
      towns with an impressive inventory of surviving vital records.

      When the birth records were completed, I invited Keidan researchers
      to ask me to search for birth records of their ancestors. Now you
      can ask again! I will search both the birth and marriage records
      through the convenient alphabetical index.

      "I made a hit. Can't believe it! What fun and what a distraction
      this is!" reported a new member of the Keidan group upon receiving
      the marriage records.

      If you would like to support the Keidan Vital Records Translation
      project or learn more about it, please visit the VRT website at
      http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeol99x/ or contact me privately.

      L'Shana Tova

      Olga Zabludoff, coordinator
      LitvakSIG Kedainiai Vital Records
    • Steinsteve@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 27, 2006
        Olga,

        I would appreciate receiving any entries that mention LUBINSKY, GORDON, or BAKER/BEKER. Thanks!

        Steve

        P.S. Sorry I didn't get to meet you at the conference. I had too many SIGs to touch base with :-(

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 27, 2006
          We are having difficulty in finding any records of a marriage of a Stung
          (Isher) to a Yetta (or Enta ) Smidt/Smit or Smiedt) in the early
          1860's...their first daughter was born in 1865 and three sons
          thereafter....The entire Stung family seems to have vanished without a trace
          ? died in the Holocaust or changed their names..Can you assist ? Prof Ronald
          Asherson, South Africa

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 27, 2006
            Hi Steve,

            As you already know there are tons of birth records for BEKER and
            GORDON as well as several for LUBINSKY/LYUBINSKY.

            Re. the marriage records: four BEKERs (3 brides, 1 groom); fourteen
            GORDONs (10 brides, 4 grooms); one LUBINSKY (bride). With a little
            research I have found the married names of two LUBINSKY women.

            It's definitely time for you to join the Keidan Vital Records
            project. Your family surnames are already well represented; and with
            the volume of records yet to be translated, you are bound to get
            many more hits.

            Olga

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 27, 2006
              Hi Ron,

              I have been looking out for the Isher STUNG-Yetta/Enta SMIDT
              marriage record for some time. If it ever existed it no longer does.
              The marriage records jump from 1861 to 1865; 1862-1864 did not
              survive.

              But one thing bothers me about your "lost" record. If the marriage
              took place between 1862-1864, there most likely would have been a
              string of births in the following years. There are 28 STUNG/SHTUNG
              birth records between the years 1865-1914, but none of them show the
              parents as Isher STUNG and Yetta/Enta SMIDT.

              There are 13 marriage records so far for STUNG (12 brides and 1
              groom)but the groom is not Isher. There are more STUNG records in
              those I have yet to proof.

              Perhaps you are missing something by focusing 100% on the Isher
              STUNG-Yetta/Enta SMIDT marriage. You told me some time ago that this
              was a theory for the birth of the name ASHERSON/ISHERSON. It is a
              tantalizing possibility, but the fact is that nothing has come of
              this theory. Is it perhaps time to start looking for other clues?

              Best,
              Olga

              --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, "Dr Asherson" <ashron@...>
              wrote:

              > We are having difficulty in finding any records of a marriage of a
              Stung
              > (Isher) to a Yetta (or Enta ) Smidt/Smit or Smiedt) in the early
              > 1860's...their first daughter was born in 1865 and three sons
              > thereafter....The entire Stung family seems to have vanished
              without a trace
              > ? died in the Holocaust or changed their names..Can you assist ?
              Prof Ronald
              > Asherson, South Africa

            • julianlebowitz
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 26, 2006
                Hi, i am a new member and new to geneology in general. I now live in
                Toronto but all of my family that came from Keidan livedin South
                Africa.
                My Grandfather - Michal (Mike)Zalman Gordon came from Keidan i
                believe in 1928 and was born in 1910. I am very eager to obtain
                information about his family, of which i know very little about. I
                am told his parents were Devorah and Nocham (Nachum?) Gordon. Please
                let me know the best way to research my family, any info on birth
                certificates, or other vital statisitcs would be great.

                Also i see on jewishgen.org that there is a posting from the "Anshei
                Keidan, Washington" about a Michal Zalman Gordon from Keidan, but
                who lived most likely in Washington (the hebrew name does not match
                my grandfathers) and could very well be family of ours, anyone know
                how to contcat them?

                Thanks
                Julian Lebowitz

                --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, "ozabludoff" <ozabludoff@...>

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 26, 2006

                  Hi Julian,

                  There are many Mikhel and Zalman GORDONs in the Keidan births and marriage databases. These seem to be popular GORDON names. There is one Mikhel Zalman GORDON who may have been your grandfather's grandfather. In 1903 Zise GORDON was born to Efroim and Dvoire GORDON. Efroim's father was Mikhel Zalman. There are many GORDON females in the databases also whose fathers are named Mikhel and Zalman.

                  If you are interested in joining the LitvakSIG Keidan Vital Records Translation Project so that you can receive all the Keidan vital records, please contact me at ozabludoff@...

                  Olga Zabludoff

                • julian lebowitz
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 27, 2006
                    Hi Olga

                    I want to join, please advise how
                    Do you have these records that you speak of? Wow, i
                    would dearly like to see these

                    Thanks
                    Julian

                    --- ozabludoff <ozabludoff@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Julian,
                    >
                    > There are many Mikhel and Zalman GORDONs in the
                    > Keidan births and
                    > marriage databases. These seem to be popular GORDON
                    > names. There is one
                    > Mikhel Zalman GORDON who may have been your
                    > grandfather's grandfather.
                    > In 1903 Zise GORDON was born to Efroim and Dvoire
                    > GORDON. Efroim's
                    > father was Mikhel Zalman. There are many GORDON
                    > females in the databases
                    > also whose fathers are named Mikhel and Zalman.
                    >
                    > If you are interested in joining the LitvakSIG
                    > Keidan Vital Records
                    > Translation Project so that you can receive all the
                    > Keidan vital
                    > records, please contact me at ozabludoff@...
                    > <mailto:ozabludoff@...>
                    >
                    > Olga Zabludoff

                  • Gus Levy
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 27, 2006
                      HI JULIAN: My maternal grandmother Breina Taube Meryash, was a Zelmanovich
                      (Americanized to Selman) and I suspect Mike Zalman Gordon were related, I
                      know of no direct connection between the Gordon and Meryash family, except
                      this possible one.

                      Suggest you contact Ada Green, adagreen@... who is really knowledgeable
                      and has done a tremendous amount of work on this subject.

                      Sincerely,

                      Gus Levy
                    • julian lebowitz
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 27, 2006