Re: Genocide markers (was Google Earth)

  • bentsion100
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 20, 2006
      Hello Sally,

      I really don't know the answer. But I know that in 2005 there was
      done a wonderful work, similar to that mentioned by Andy. It was
      sponsored by a British institute (If I don't have a mistake), and my
      relative (living in Vilna) made the tours to all the towns and
      townships and located the real sites (I saw his work when visiting
      him in 2005). After this location work was done, the next step
      should have been to put signs, direction arrows, and memorial
      tablets at the old cemeteries and genocide sites. I really wonder if
      anything was done about it since then.

      Andy, I tried to find the pictures I sent to our site a year ago,
      including the memorial stone at the genocide site, but couldn't find
      it any more... Is it my mistake?

      I wish a Happy New Year to all the Keidan members.

      Ben-Tsion Klibansky

      --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, "Sally Mizroch" <mizroch@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello Ben-Tsion,
      >
      > Maybe you or someone else on this list knows the answer to these
      questions.
      > I saw and photographed monuments in a few towns. When were they
      erected?
      > Who spearheaded the project? What prompted the project?
      >

      > In Svedasai, the marker is near the Jewish cemetery and the
      killing place
      > was elsewhere. I wonder if they decided to place the markers near
      the
      > Jewish cemeteries rather than on the exact spot for some sensible
      reason.

      > Sally
    • Linda Dubins
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 21, 2006
        If you are ever there again, please look for "Dubinsky" stones... Thank you.
        Linda Dubins

      • Anna Sarmatian
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 25, 2006
          Dear Keidaner List Members,
          The Lost: A Search for Six of Six Million, by Daniel
          Mendelsohn got great reviews in Sunday's NY Times'Book
          Review and also in the NY Review of Books. Even though
          Mendelsohn is looking for traces of Jewish life in
          Ukraine rather than Lithuania, it seems that list
          members would enjoy reading this book. -Lynn Lubamersky

          http://mail.yahoo.com