Additional Translations of stones from the Jewish Cemetery in Keidan

  • Sally Mizroch
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 19, 2006
      Hi all,
      My cousin Tami has translated some more of the stones in the Jewish cemetery
      in Keidan. Please let me know of any edits I need to make.

      Here's the web address of the photos:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/smizroch/sets/72157594267395284/

      Cheers,
      Sally
    • Ben-Tsion
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 19, 2006

        Hello Sally,

        I would not recommend marking the genocide site near the cemetery, as its real place is out of town. The locals try to hide it by leaving it in an open field without any proper paths, signs or direction arrows (it took me about an hour to relocate it in this field). To sign the wrong monument is just to help the Lithuanians with their intention to erase the real site from our memory.

        By the way, this "wrong" monument is located just on the other part of the old cemetery, where all the tomb stones were taken by intention long ago.

        Ben-Tsion Klibansky

      • Sally Mizroch
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 20, 2006

          Hello Ben-Tsion,

          Maybe you or someone else on this list knows the answer to these questions.  I saw and photographed monuments in a few towns.  When were they erected?  Who spearheaded the project?  What prompted the project?

          In Svedasai, the marker is near the Jewish cemetery and the killing place was elsewhere.  I wonder if they decided to place the markers near the Jewish cemeteries rather than on the exact spot for some sensible reason.

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 20, 2006
            Sally,

            When I visited Lithuania in 1995, I met a man named Joseph Levinson,
            who was one of the 'klal-tuers' (movers & shakers) in the Vilnius Jewish community. At the time he was the editor of the revived monthly newspaper "Yerushalayim d'Lita" and also involved in the Jewish museum there. He told me he had begun a project almost immediately after independence in 1991, to identify and mark all the Jewish holocaust sites in Lithuania. I have a photo of him standing in front of a giant map in the Vilnius museum, on which some 200 sites had been marked out. Levinson said he had visited each one ("and not just once!") and arranged for each to be given new markers. I think Yudel Ronder was involved in placing the new marker on the Keidan mass grave as well.

            I also have an audiotape of an interview with Levinson (I was hoping
            to write an article about it for the English Forward, but was
            rejected by the paper's then editors, the jerks.) His Yiddish is
            beautiful, a real old-time Litvish accent. Anyway, if Levinson is
            still around, he could provide you with a detailed answer to your
            question. Failing that, I'm sure Regina Kopilevich could be helpful.

            "Sally Mizroch" <mizroch@...> wrote:

            > Hello Ben-Tsion,
            >
            > Maybe you or someone else on this list knows the answer to these
            questions.
            > I saw and photographed monuments in a few towns. When were they
            erected?
            > Who spearheaded the project? What prompted the project?

          • bentsion100
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 20, 2006
              Hello Sally,

              I really don't know the answer. But I know that in 2005 there was
              done a wonderful work, similar to that mentioned by Andy. It was
              sponsored by a British institute (If I don't have a mistake), and my
              relative (living in Vilna) made the tours to all the towns and
              townships and located the real sites (I saw his work when visiting
              him in 2005). After this location work was done, the next step
              should have been to put signs, direction arrows, and memorial
              tablets at the old cemeteries and genocide sites. I really wonder if
              anything was done about it since then.

              Andy, I tried to find the pictures I sent to our site a year ago,
              including the memorial stone at the genocide site, but couldn't find
              it any more... Is it my mistake?

              I wish a Happy New Year to all the Keidan members.

              Ben-Tsion Klibansky

              --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, "Sally Mizroch" <mizroch@...>
              wrote:

              > Hello Ben-Tsion,
              >
              > Maybe you or someone else on this list knows the answer to these
              questions.
              > I saw and photographed monuments in a few towns. When were they
              erected?
              > Who spearheaded the project? What prompted the project?
              >

              > In Svedasai, the marker is near the Jewish cemetery and the
              killing place
              > was elsewhere. I wonder if they decided to place the markers near
              the
              > Jewish cemeteries rather than on the exact spot for some sensible
              reason.

              > Sally
            • Linda Dubins
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 21, 2006
                If you are ever there again, please look for "Dubinsky" stones... Thank you.
                Linda Dubins

              • Anna Sarmatian
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 25, 2006
                  Dear Keidaner List Members,
                  The Lost: A Search for Six of Six Million, by Daniel
                  Mendelsohn got great reviews in Sunday's NY Times'Book
                  Review and also in the NY Review of Books. Even though
                  Mendelsohn is looking for traces of Jewish life in
                  Ukraine rather than Lithuania, it seems that list
                  members would enjoy reading this book. -Lynn Lubamersky

                  http://mail.yahoo.com