Google Earth

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 18 3:01 PM
      Keidaner friends,

      I wonder if any of you have, like me, recently discovered the
      amazing Google Earth program.

      It's one of the many new services Google has rolled out -- an
      interactive globe, pieced together from satellite photos, that
      enables you to zoom up close and view almost any location, from your
      own neighborhood to the Taj Mahal.

      It's an astonishing piece of technology, and it can become something
      of an obsession. Want to know what Moscow looks like? Where the
      Forbidden City is in Beijing? How badly did Katrina damage New
      Orleans? You can literally see for yourself.

      As one fascinating add-on feature, Google makes it possible for
      users to mark locations of personal, historic or geographic
      interest, and to share that information with everyone else. You
      simply click on the "Google Earth community" overlay, and you can
      see where someone has located a good barbecue restaurant in Memphis,
      or a scenic spot in Sinagapore, where they owned their first house,
      or whatever.

      I mention this because I recently zoomed in on (of course) Keidan --
      and discovered that the satellite imagery there has been upgraded to
      where you can easily pick out individual buildings, including the
      old synagogue complex and others.

      I'm wondering if those who have visited there recently might want to
      look at this, and perhaps even to mark out sites such as the old
      cemetery, or the site of the 1941 massacre. I'm uncertain about just
      where these are, from looking at the images, but perhaps others can
      do so.

      In any event, I invite you to have a look at Keidan via Google
      Earth. (Search on the modern name, Kedainiai.) It's quite an amazing
      way to visit the alte heym!

      Best,

      Andy
    • Sally Mizroch
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 19 7:51 AM

        Hi Andy,

        Yes, Google Earth is amazing.  You can actually see the site of the Jewish Cemetery in Keidan, too.  I plan to upgrade my Google status and upload some of the GPS information I collected over there (some of the other Jewish cemeteries I visited (Svedasai and Skapiskis)).

        I’ll mark the Keidan cemetery site and the site where the monument commemorating the Jewish genocide is located (near the cemetery).  I think someone said that the killings happened farther out of town, but the plaque is near the cemetery.

        More later,

        Sally

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 19 8:17 AM
          Hi all,
          My cousin Tami has translated some more of the stones in the Jewish cemetery
          in Keidan. Please let me know of any edits I need to make.

          Here's the web address of the photos:

          http://www.flickr.com/photos/smizroch/sets/72157594267395284/

          Cheers,
          Sally
        • Ben-Tsion
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 19 10:52 AM

            Hello Sally,

            I would not recommend marking the genocide site near the cemetery, as its real place is out of town. The locals try to hide it by leaving it in an open field without any proper paths, signs or direction arrows (it took me about an hour to relocate it in this field). To sign the wrong monument is just to help the Lithuanians with their intention to erase the real site from our memory.

            By the way, this "wrong" monument is located just on the other part of the old cemetery, where all the tomb stones were taken by intention long ago.

            Ben-Tsion Klibansky

          • Sally Mizroch
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 20 7:50 AM

              Hello Ben-Tsion,

              Maybe you or someone else on this list knows the answer to these questions.  I saw and photographed monuments in a few towns.  When were they erected?  Who spearheaded the project?  What prompted the project?

              In Svedasai, the marker is near the Jewish cemetery and the killing place was elsewhere.  I wonder if they decided to place the markers near the Jewish cemeteries rather than on the exact spot for some sensible reason.

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 20 11:47 AM
                Sally,

                When I visited Lithuania in 1995, I met a man named Joseph Levinson,
                who was one of the 'klal-tuers' (movers & shakers) in the Vilnius Jewish community. At the time he was the editor of the revived monthly newspaper "Yerushalayim d'Lita" and also involved in the Jewish museum there. He told me he had begun a project almost immediately after independence in 1991, to identify and mark all the Jewish holocaust sites in Lithuania. I have a photo of him standing in front of a giant map in the Vilnius museum, on which some 200 sites had been marked out. Levinson said he had visited each one ("and not just once!") and arranged for each to be given new markers. I think Yudel Ronder was involved in placing the new marker on the Keidan mass grave as well.

                I also have an audiotape of an interview with Levinson (I was hoping
                to write an article about it for the English Forward, but was
                rejected by the paper's then editors, the jerks.) His Yiddish is
                beautiful, a real old-time Litvish accent. Anyway, if Levinson is
                still around, he could provide you with a detailed answer to your
                question. Failing that, I'm sure Regina Kopilevich could be helpful.

                "Sally Mizroch" <mizroch@...> wrote:

                > Hello Ben-Tsion,
                >
                > Maybe you or someone else on this list knows the answer to these
                questions.
                > I saw and photographed monuments in a few towns. When were they
                erected?
                > Who spearheaded the project? What prompted the project?

              • bentsion100
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 20 12:50 PM
                  Hello Sally,

                  I really don't know the answer. But I know that in 2005 there was
                  done a wonderful work, similar to that mentioned by Andy. It was
                  sponsored by a British institute (If I don't have a mistake), and my
                  relative (living in Vilna) made the tours to all the towns and
                  townships and located the real sites (I saw his work when visiting
                  him in 2005). After this location work was done, the next step
                  should have been to put signs, direction arrows, and memorial
                  tablets at the old cemeteries and genocide sites. I really wonder if
                  anything was done about it since then.

                  Andy, I tried to find the pictures I sent to our site a year ago,
                  including the memorial stone at the genocide site, but couldn't find
                  it any more... Is it my mistake?

                  I wish a Happy New Year to all the Keidan members.

                  Ben-Tsion Klibansky

                  --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, "Sally Mizroch" <mizroch@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hello Ben-Tsion,
                  >
                  > Maybe you or someone else on this list knows the answer to these
                  questions.
                  > I saw and photographed monuments in a few towns. When were they
                  erected?
                  > Who spearheaded the project? What prompted the project?
                  >

                  > In Svedasai, the marker is near the Jewish cemetery and the
                  killing place
                  > was elsewhere. I wonder if they decided to place the markers near
                  the
                  > Jewish cemeteries rather than on the exact spot for some sensible
                  reason.

                  > Sally
                • Linda Dubins
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 21 10:28 AM
                    If you are ever there again, please look for "Dubinsky" stones... Thank you.
                    Linda Dubins

                  • Anna Sarmatian
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 25 9:01 AM
                      Dear Keidaner List Members,
                      The Lost: A Search for Six of Six Million, by Daniel
                      Mendelsohn got great reviews in Sunday's NY Times'Book
                      Review and also in the NY Review of Books. Even though
                      Mendelsohn is looking for traces of Jewish life in
                      Ukraine rather than Lithuania, it seems that list
                      members would enjoy reading this book. -Lynn Lubamersky

                      http://mail.yahoo.com