RE: [JewishKeidan] My upcoming visit to Lithuania

  • Dr Asherson
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 14, 2006
      WHAT A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE YOU HAVE HAD ! THANKS FOR SHARING IT WITH THE GROUP.... Prof Ronald Asherson, South Africa..
    • Sally Mizroch
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006

        Hi all,

        I’m still catching up from my trip to Lithuania , and haven’t finished writing everything up yet.  Stay tuned.

        Before I left Seattle , I scanned all our family photos and I took high resolution printouts of the photos in a notebook so I could proudly show photographs of the historical “Mizrochs in Lithuania ” to any and all I met.  Rachel Kostanian at the Jewish Museum in Vilnius suggested that my cousins and I write up the Mizroch family history and make a “book” that includes the photos and story.  When we’ve finished the book, we’ll send it back to Lithuania (museums, libraries, Jewish community centers, various people we met while over there).  I uploaded most of the scanned photos to the web before I left for Lithuania :

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/smizroch/sets/72157594224328318/

        When I was in Lithuania , I had a chance to look at other people’s photos that were stashed away in bags and boxes, and I took some photos of photos, some of which I just uploaded today:

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/smizroch/sets/72157594272273540/

        Then I started thinking that all these family and other photos should be archived in a web-based photo database, not just photos of the Mizrochs, of course, but the whole Jewish community.  For example, we have some family photos that were sent to my great aunt Sonia in South Africa from people I don’t know (eg, Rebbeka Berkal, Ida Joffee, etc).  Perhaps there are relatives of these people out there who would be delighted to see these photos of their aunt, grandmother, whomever.  If we put the community photos together in a big, searchable database, we’ll be able to kind of recreate the community in a small way, and we may find photos of our relatives in other people’s stashes of photos.

        I am a whale biologist for NOAA Fisheries, and I build whale photo-identification databases for a living.  So I’d like to propose that we all join together to develop a Litvak “photo-identification” database.  If you have family photographs and are interested in participating, please let me know.

        If you have a good scanner, you should scan your photos at high resolution, and we can figure out an efficient way to get the images sent to me.  If you don’t have a scanner, you can take a quick digital photo (like the ones I posted on the web) and we can use that image to start with.  If you’d like to get any archival images professionally copied and digitized, I can put you in touch with a Seattle-based photo lab which specializes in copying archival photos (they’ve done a lot of work for the local Jewish Federation office, yes, the same office where a crazy person killed someone about a month ago).

        Details you should include with each photo should say where and when it was taken (best guess if you don’t know exactly), who is in the photo (left to right labels), and how do you know who is who, and all the variant spellings of the family names (in Hebrew and Cyrillic, too, if you know them).

        I’d like to use photos from this Keidan group to develop the criteria for the submission of photos and to develop the database and query structure.  If the project looks viable, once our little database is built and running smoothly, I’d like to propose doing this across the Lithuanian Jewish universe.

        Please let me know what you think.

        Lastly, I shot some black and white film images at the Jewish cemetery in Keidan and I posted scans of them on the web a few days ago.  Harvey Kaplan took a look and noticed that I’d photographed markers of a  Shulman, Greenblatt, Cassel , among others.  Here’s the web address for these photos:

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/smizroch/sets/72157594267395284/

        If you’d like to have me post translations of the gravestones, e-mail me the translation and the photo number, and I’ll put the text on the web.

        Cheers,

        Sally

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006
          hi all

          This site is wierd,when  I try to contact someone about family roots there is never a reply. The only messages that ever come throughh are about visits to lithuania. Is this just a holiday site on the internet????

          David Alexander
          Puycelsi
          France
        • GDLProject@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006
            Congratulations Sally. I've spent awhile examining these fantastic photos.  I agree that we all should add out Keidan photos, but this also an excellent way to help organize a group for every Litvak shtetl.

            I have already signed up for flicker as a way of helping with the archiving the hundreds of photos we have for Ariogala, Lithuania. The great thing is the ability of others to add to the collection. We are in the process of turning our IAJGS conference presentation, "Re-creating Ariogala: A Lithuanian Shtetl" into an exhibit for several museums in the US and Lithuania. Harvey Kaplan has already been active in interacting with and educating the new generation of Ariogala students about the Jewish past of the shtetl.

            Personally I would like to participate in your project and I am copying this to the new Board of Directors of the LitvakSIG.

            Regards,

            David Hoffman
            Encino, CA
          • Jose Gutstein
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006
              Good job Sally. Why not also add them to the Keidan web page itself, where those with Keidan connections are more likely to spot them?

              That is, of course, if Andy would like the extra web work.  :-)

              Jose Gutstein
              E-Mail: Gutstein@...
              Kaunas web page: http://www.gutstein.net/kaunas/kaunas-home.htm
              Zasliai web page: http://www.gutstein.net/zasliai/zasliai-home.htm
              Zeimiai web page: http://www.gutstein.net/zeimiai/zeimiai-home.htm

            • Sally Mizroch
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006

                Hello Jose,

                If Andy wants to put any of these on his amazing web site, it’s fine with me.  I’ll be posting other photos that I took in Lithuania as I get a chance, and I’ll let folks know when I upload them.

                Cheers,

                Sally

                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 7, 2006
                  Sally, Jose,

                  I'd be happy to set up a link from the Keidan website to the photos; there's no need to put them on the same site, they can be a click away. Sally, I'm fascinated by the pictures you found of old Keidan. Where were they, and do those people know what they have? I'll be fascinated to read more about your trip -- don't spare the details.

                  I realized as I was editing the recent messages that it's actually 10 years since the Keidan website went up. I'm chagrined to admit that my web-design skills haven't kept up with the changing technology, and I've been reluctant to revise or update the site (it is indeed a lot of work, particularly for a rank amateur.) But there are lots of new possibilities for material -- such as video, which can be embedded via YouTube or Google. Hopefully I'll have the time to add some of this in the coming months, but I'm always thought of this as a collaborative effort -- if anyone else wants to put a page together (about a particular family, or a visit to Keidan) I'll be happy
                  to upload that material or link to it -- whatever will work to expand the Keidan online library.

                  (By the way, Sally -- that was indeed my great-grandmother's gravestone pictured in one of your photos. We have photos of it from our visit in '95; I'm glad to see it's still intact.)

                  All best,

                  Andy

                • Diane Rooney
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 12, 2006
                    Hello Sally,

                    Enjoyed reading about your trip and meeting with Regina Kopelevich and
                    with Yudel Ronder. I had the same wonderful experiences on one of my
                    recent trips, and it was fabulous. Regina took me around Keidan, where
                    my husband's grandmother's family (Hannah Zelda Gordon, daughter of
                    Leibe Gordon)lived. We also visited the local museum (in a former
                    barracks or monastery). So glad it was a good trip for you.

                    Diane
                  • Barbera Levin
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 18, 2006

                      Hi Sally

                      Thank you so much for your very full and newsy email. I will write to you to find out even more.as my father’s whole family were wiped out in the Holocaust. They all lived in Keidan. According to your records re: the cemetery, his father who I know died before WW ll and after who I was named, died in 1932.My grandfather’s name was Baruch

                      Linde and it is because of your information that I have the date. This must have been quite a visit for you!

                      Thanks a million

                      Shana Tovah

                      Sincerely

                      Barbara Levin