Keidan Ancestry

  • Michael Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 12, 2006
      Hello all,
      Newly joined member here. I've been interested in genealogy for many
      years and have managed to track many of my ancestors to a variety of
      towns and cities in Lithuania, Latvia, Byelrus, the Ukraine, etc. One
      part that has always been a bit of a mystery is the family that
      generated my surname: Rosenberg. My great-grandfather came to the
      United States from "Russia" in 1886, settling in Pittsburgh. His
      parents and siblings immigrated in the early to mid-1890's. Beyond
      that, we knew almost nothing other than some vague recollection of the
      word "Kovno" (which I now know to be a Russian province). A few months
      ago I discovered that two of my great-great-uncles listed their
      birthplace on the 1920 census as Lithuania (thus, overlapping with
      Kovno). Yesterday I found copies of the WWII draft registration cards
      for these same uncles which lists their places of birth as "Kaddin,
      Russia" and "Kaidan, Russia". Taken together, it seems a good bet the
      family is actually from Keidan. So now with a city to work from, I am
      attempting to see if there is any way to discover any connections or
      information that predates their immigration to the US.

      The parents were Jacob and Rachel Rosenberg, born approx Mar 1853 and
      Apr 1852-4 respectively.
      There were 4 sons (that we know of):
      Louis Rosenberg, born approx 1873
      Abraham Morris Rosenberg, born approx 1878
      Harold (aka Heshke, aka Israel?) Rosenberg, born approx 1879
      Joseph Rosenberg, born approx 1891

      None of the sons were married prior coming to the US. And to add a
      complication, there is a rumor that the family name may have been
      something along the lines of "Meyer" before immigrating (I'm not
      entirely sure I believe this, but I include it for completeness).

      It's not much to go on, but if any of it rings any bells or anyone cares
      to try to connect please feel free to contact me. I have a bit more
      (rather variable) information on birth and immigration dates, and a
      number of interesting old photos. Thanks for any information you might
      be able to provide,

      Michael Rosenberg
      msr@...
    • Sally Mizroch
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 16, 2006

        Hi all,

        My grandmother, Sarah Meltz Mizroch, was from Keidan and my father’s father, Moses Hirsh Mizroch, moved there after they married sometime between 1904 and 1908.  Moses was an innkeeper, and I think his inn was called the Europa.  My father and his siblings were born in Keidan from 1908 through 1913.  Moses’s father, Zalman Yitzhak Mizroch, lived in Ponemunok.  Zalman and his wife Feiga Riva moved to Panevezys eventually and lived near their daughter Cilya (wife of Lev Bernstein).  I’ve been able to trace back to Zalman’s father (Shlomo Berko) and Shlomo’s father (Lozar) in the All Lithuanian database and I know the names of the shtetls they lived in.

        My Mizroch cousin Carol and I will be flying in to Vilnius in a few weeks and we plan to visit the towns and shtetls that our ancestors lived in.  If you all have any suggestions about logistics, please e-mail me.

        Best regards,

        Sally Mizroch

        Mizroch@...

      • A. Cassel
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 16, 2006
          Sally,

          Congratulations on your visit to Lithuania. You'll certainly find it a fascinating and rewarding trip. Others may have more recent contacts to offer, but I would suggest you might want to get in touch with Regina Kopilevich, a Vilnius-based guide and researcher who has been helping Jews reconnect with their roots for a dozen years or so. Regina's email is miregina@... . You also might want to look up Yudel Ronder, one of the last remaining Keidaner Jews still living in the area. I believe he's still living in Kaunas, and Regina can put you in touch with him. Please consider writing up notes on your trip when you get back, and sharing them with all of us in the email group.

          Safe traveling.

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 17, 2006
            Sally

            I was in Kedainiai for a few days last September. Let me know if I can help.

            Harvey L Kaplan

            Glasgow, Scotland

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 18, 2006
              Dear Harvey,

              Hope you don't mind me asking you this, my surname is
              also Kaplan, but from Zagare, with relatives coming
              also from Keidan, but not bearing the Kaplan name...

              Rgrds,

              Neil.
              China.

              --- Harvey L Kaplan <harvey@...>

            • Barbera Levin
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 20, 2006

                Hi Sally

                Have a great and memorable to Lithuania . I have heard great things about Regina and know that she is very helpful.

                Keep us informed on your return!

                Regards

                Barbara Levin

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 20, 2006

                  Hello Neil

                  My Kaplan ancestors are recorded in the records in Ariogala in the 1850s/1860s/1870s/1880s, and then some of them appear to have moved to the bigger town of Keidan in the 1880s, where they lived for a short time before moving to Scotland in the 1880s and 1890s.

                  I was in Lithuania for 8 days last September - an amazing experience. Kedainiai is a relatively-pleasant and quiet little town. There are some former synagogue buildings and the cemetery is well kept.

                  best wishes

                  Harvey L Kaplan

                  --- Harvey L Kaplan <harvey@hkaplan. freeserve. co.uk>
                  wrote:

                  > Sally
                  >
                  > I was in Kedainiai for a few days last September.
                  > Let me know if I can help.
                  >
                  > Harvey L Kaplan
                  >
                  > Glasgow, Scotland

                • Sally Mizroch
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 14, 2006

                    Hello from Kaunas ,

                    I arrived in Vilnius on 6 August and will leave on Wednesday, 16 August.  The trip has been amazing so far, and I will write up notes and share with you’all as soon as I get myself organized.  I’ve visited all the places that my Mizroch ancestors lived dating back to 1848 (courtesy of the ALD records), and I’ve learned so much (and have so much more to learn).

                    This evening, just now, I’m just now back at my hotel room after meeting with Keidaner Judelis Ronderis, thanks to Regina Kopilovich.  It was a wonderful meeting, even though we don’t have a common language.  He remembered my family, my great uncle Dr. Peisach Melcas, and he was able to recreate the old Keidan neighborhood that our families lived in as we were talking.  It was amazing.

                    I visited Keidan a few days ago, on August 10th, the 97th anniversary of my father’s birth there.  The archives in the multi-cultural center were a gold mine.  I photographed a lot of their archival photos, so while I was with Judelis, I turned on my computer and showed him some of the photos that I had photographed from the archives.  Judelis recognized some of the faces, again recreating the community as he and I sat and talked.

                    Hey Andy, he showed me a photo of you both taken in 1995.  Too cool.

                    Well, I have to find a little café so I can eat a little.  More later,

                    Sally

                    PS FYI, many of the big cities in Lithuania have free wireless internet throughout most of the downtown areas.  I’m in a little hotel in the old town, wirelessly “talking” with you all.  Very modern.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 14, 2006
                      Sally,

                      A real pleasure to read your note. Meeting Yudel Ronder is an experience that makes the whole trip worthwhile just by itself -- he's a treasure! I'm delighted to hear it's going well for you, and eager to learn more whenever you get the chance to post. Stay well, and stay in touch!

                      Best,

                      Andy Cassel

                    • Dr Asherson
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 14, 2006
                        WHAT A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE YOU HAVE HAD ! THANKS FOR SHARING IT WITH THE GROUP.... Prof Ronald Asherson, South Africa..
                      • Sally Mizroch
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006

                          Hi all,

                          I’m still catching up from my trip to Lithuania , and haven’t finished writing everything up yet.  Stay tuned.

                          Before I left Seattle , I scanned all our family photos and I took high resolution printouts of the photos in a notebook so I could proudly show photographs of the historical “Mizrochs in Lithuania ” to any and all I met.  Rachel Kostanian at the Jewish Museum in Vilnius suggested that my cousins and I write up the Mizroch family history and make a “book” that includes the photos and story.  When we’ve finished the book, we’ll send it back to Lithuania (museums, libraries, Jewish community centers, various people we met while over there).  I uploaded most of the scanned photos to the web before I left for Lithuania :

                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/smizroch/sets/72157594224328318/

                          When I was in Lithuania , I had a chance to look at other people’s photos that were stashed away in bags and boxes, and I took some photos of photos, some of which I just uploaded today:

                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/smizroch/sets/72157594272273540/

                          Then I started thinking that all these family and other photos should be archived in a web-based photo database, not just photos of the Mizrochs, of course, but the whole Jewish community.  For example, we have some family photos that were sent to my great aunt Sonia in South Africa from people I don’t know (eg, Rebbeka Berkal, Ida Joffee, etc).  Perhaps there are relatives of these people out there who would be delighted to see these photos of their aunt, grandmother, whomever.  If we put the community photos together in a big, searchable database, we’ll be able to kind of recreate the community in a small way, and we may find photos of our relatives in other people’s stashes of photos.

                          I am a whale biologist for NOAA Fisheries, and I build whale photo-identification databases for a living.  So I’d like to propose that we all join together to develop a Litvak “photo-identification” database.  If you have family photographs and are interested in participating, please let me know.

                          If you have a good scanner, you should scan your photos at high resolution, and we can figure out an efficient way to get the images sent to me.  If you don’t have a scanner, you can take a quick digital photo (like the ones I posted on the web) and we can use that image to start with.  If you’d like to get any archival images professionally copied and digitized, I can put you in touch with a Seattle-based photo lab which specializes in copying archival photos (they’ve done a lot of work for the local Jewish Federation office, yes, the same office where a crazy person killed someone about a month ago).

                          Details you should include with each photo should say where and when it was taken (best guess if you don’t know exactly), who is in the photo (left to right labels), and how do you know who is who, and all the variant spellings of the family names (in Hebrew and Cyrillic, too, if you know them).

                          I’d like to use photos from this Keidan group to develop the criteria for the submission of photos and to develop the database and query structure.  If the project looks viable, once our little database is built and running smoothly, I’d like to propose doing this across the Lithuanian Jewish universe.

                          Please let me know what you think.

                          Lastly, I shot some black and white film images at the Jewish cemetery in Keidan and I posted scans of them on the web a few days ago.  Harvey Kaplan took a look and noticed that I’d photographed markers of a  Shulman, Greenblatt, Cassel , among others.  Here’s the web address for these photos:

                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/smizroch/sets/72157594267395284/

                          If you’d like to have me post translations of the gravestones, e-mail me the translation and the photo number, and I’ll put the text on the web.

                          Cheers,

                        • caddack@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006
                            hi all

                            This site is wierd,when  I try to contact someone about family roots there is never a reply. The only messages that ever come throughh are about visits to lithuania. Is this just a holiday site on the internet????

                            David Alexander
                            Puycelsi
                            France
                          • GDLProject@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006
                              Congratulations Sally. I've spent awhile examining these fantastic photos.  I agree that we all should add out Keidan photos, but this also an excellent way to help organize a group for every Litvak shtetl.

                              I have already signed up for flicker as a way of helping with the archiving the hundreds of photos we have for Ariogala, Lithuania. The great thing is the ability of others to add to the collection. We are in the process of turning our IAJGS conference presentation, "Re-creating Ariogala: A Lithuanian Shtetl" into an exhibit for several museums in the US and Lithuania. Harvey Kaplan has already been active in interacting with and educating the new generation of Ariogala students about the Jewish past of the shtetl.

                              Personally I would like to participate in your project and I am copying this to the new Board of Directors of the LitvakSIG.

                              Regards,

                              David Hoffman
                              Encino, CA
                            • Jose Gutstein
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006
                                Good job Sally. Why not also add them to the Keidan web page itself, where those with Keidan connections are more likely to spot them?

                                That is, of course, if Andy would like the extra web work.  :-)

                                Jose Gutstein
                                E-Mail: Gutstein@...
                                Kaunas web page: http://www.gutstein.net/kaunas/kaunas-home.htm
                                Zasliai web page: http://www.gutstein.net/zasliai/zasliai-home.htm
                                Zeimiai web page: http://www.gutstein.net/zeimiai/zeimiai-home.htm

                              • Sally Mizroch
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 6, 2006

                                  Hello Jose,

                                  If Andy wants to put any of these on his amazing web site, it’s fine with me.  I’ll be posting other photos that I took in Lithuania as I get a chance, and I’ll let folks know when I upload them.

                                  Cheers,

                                  Sally

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 7, 2006
                                    Sally, Jose,

                                    I'd be happy to set up a link from the Keidan website to the photos; there's no need to put them on the same site, they can be a click away. Sally, I'm fascinated by the pictures you found of old Keidan. Where were they, and do those people know what they have? I'll be fascinated to read more about your trip -- don't spare the details.

                                    I realized as I was editing the recent messages that it's actually 10 years since the Keidan website went up. I'm chagrined to admit that my web-design skills haven't kept up with the changing technology, and I've been reluctant to revise or update the site (it is indeed a lot of work, particularly for a rank amateur.) But there are lots of new possibilities for material -- such as video, which can be embedded via YouTube or Google. Hopefully I'll have the time to add some of this in the coming months, but I'm always thought of this as a collaborative effort -- if anyone else wants to put a page together (about a particular family, or a visit to Keidan) I'll be happy
                                    to upload that material or link to it -- whatever will work to expand the Keidan online library.

                                    (By the way, Sally -- that was indeed my great-grandmother's gravestone pictured in one of your photos. We have photos of it from our visit in '95; I'm glad to see it's still intact.)

                                    All best,

                                    Andy

                                  • Diane Rooney
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 12, 2006
                                      Hello Sally,

                                      Enjoyed reading about your trip and meeting with Regina Kopelevich and
                                      with Yudel Ronder. I had the same wonderful experiences on one of my
                                      recent trips, and it was fabulous. Regina took me around Keidan, where
                                      my husband's grandmother's family (Hannah Zelda Gordon, daughter of
                                      Leibe Gordon)lived. We also visited the local museum (in a former
                                      barracks or monastery). So glad it was a good trip for you.

                                      Diane
                                    • Barbera Levin
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Sep 18, 2006

                                        Hi Sally

                                        Thank you so much for your very full and newsy email. I will write to you to find out even more.as my father’s whole family were wiped out in the Holocaust. They all lived in Keidan. According to your records re: the cemetery, his father who I know died before WW ll and after who I was named, died in 1932.My grandfather’s name was Baruch

                                        Linde and it is because of your information that I have the date. This must have been quite a visit for you!

                                        Thanks a million

                                        Shana Tovah

                                        Sincerely

                                        Barbara Levin