RE: [JewishKeidan] Keidaners! Now you can ask all...

  • Maurice Marks - Esanmo
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 10, 2006

      Curiouser  and curiouser,our eldest sons name is A lan Marks,he lives in Jerusalem ,Regards Maurice Marks.

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 10, 2006

        Curiouser and curiouser our eldest sons name is Alan Marks,he lives in Jerusalem.The family name is definitely Eker, NO H or C.regards Maurice Marks.

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 10, 2006
          Hi Emily,

          Ariogala was/is 18 miles from Keidan. Yes, the Keidan records
          indicate definite connections between the two towns. Many Keidaners
          were either registered in Ariogala, had lived there, or moved back
          and forth. A website that has lots of information on Ariogala is
          David and Sonia Hoffman's Grand Duchy of Lithuania Project:

          http://www.jewishfamilyhistory.org/

          Some Keidaners also originated in Raseiniai, but those are much
          fewer in number. Raseiniai is considerably further from Keidan than
          is Ariogala.

          I am having trouble identifying Jacob Zang and his children you
          name. Yokhel, son of Faitel and Keile Mariasha Zang, was born in
          1863, but I don't think he is Jacob. Khiene (1854), Leah (1859),
          Nekhama (1852) and Zise were also children of Faitel.

          Mendel (1881) and Pinkhes (1886) were Yokhel's children, but they
          don't sound like George or Julius, and anyway, Yokhel doesn't sound
          like he's Jacob.

          There is a Getsel who could possibly be George, and he would have
          been born around 1880, but his father was named Faitel. Three of his
          children were born between 1901 and 1906. So there you are, lots of
          Zangs (I haven't named them all), but they don't seem to fit,
          although they are probably a part of your family.

          Best,

          Olga

          --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, emily karmen <ek2072000@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Olga,
          >
          > Thanks so much for your response. Jacob Zang and his children
          George, Tessie, Lena, Julius and I think there might be a couple of
          others (unfortunately whose names escape me), would be the ones I'm
          looking for...George Zang (changed later to Sang) is my great great
          grandfather. I think he was born around 1880. He and his wife (Sara
          Sang nee Kotzen) are buried at New Montifiore in Queens.

          > About the Kotzens, I have some information that they may have
          lived originally in Ariogala (sp?) and Rasenai (sp?). I've found
          some hastily written notes that are hard to make sense of! Was there
          much intermingling between families in these towns and Keidan? What
          was their relationship to one another?

          > Thanks again for all your help! I have a distant cousin in
          Israel who I managed to find (she's also descended from the Zangs)
          and both of us are eager to learn more.

          > Regards,
          > Emily

        • Harvey L Kaplan
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 11, 2006
            Re Kedainiai/Ariogala connections - my Kaplan family appear in Ariogala records c1840s-1880s, then the family appears to have lived for a short time in Kedainiai, before coming to Scotland. (My Fayn family were from nearby Josvainiai).

            I visited these 3 towns last year - they are all quite near each other, and families would have moved about/intermarried with each other.

            Harvey L Kaplan
            Glasgow, Scotland

          • Barbera Levin
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 13, 2006
              Dear Olga,

              Thanks again for all your thorough compilation of records. I have gone
              through them and am very grateful.

              Regards
              Barbara