RE: [JewishKeidan] Keidaners! Now you can ask all...

  • Dr Asherson
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 9, 2006
      saw your message... my great aunt married a Hecker... some of them changed  their names Ecker.......My gaunt was born in Keidan circa 1865.. she became Sarah Hecker... I shall forward your email to my couasin Alan Marks in Sydney who is very knowledgeable regarding the family... Dr Ronald Asherson
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 10, 2006

        Curiouser  and curiouser,our eldest sons name is A lan Marks,he lives in Jerusalem ,Regards Maurice Marks.

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 10, 2006

          Curiouser and curiouser our eldest sons name is Alan Marks,he lives in Jerusalem.The family name is definitely Eker, NO H or C.regards Maurice Marks.

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 10, 2006
            Hi Emily,

            Ariogala was/is 18 miles from Keidan. Yes, the Keidan records
            indicate definite connections between the two towns. Many Keidaners
            were either registered in Ariogala, had lived there, or moved back
            and forth. A website that has lots of information on Ariogala is
            David and Sonia Hoffman's Grand Duchy of Lithuania Project:

            http://www.jewishfamilyhistory.org/

            Some Keidaners also originated in Raseiniai, but those are much
            fewer in number. Raseiniai is considerably further from Keidan than
            is Ariogala.

            I am having trouble identifying Jacob Zang and his children you
            name. Yokhel, son of Faitel and Keile Mariasha Zang, was born in
            1863, but I don't think he is Jacob. Khiene (1854), Leah (1859),
            Nekhama (1852) and Zise were also children of Faitel.

            Mendel (1881) and Pinkhes (1886) were Yokhel's children, but they
            don't sound like George or Julius, and anyway, Yokhel doesn't sound
            like he's Jacob.

            There is a Getsel who could possibly be George, and he would have
            been born around 1880, but his father was named Faitel. Three of his
            children were born between 1901 and 1906. So there you are, lots of
            Zangs (I haven't named them all), but they don't seem to fit,
            although they are probably a part of your family.

            Best,

            Olga

            --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, emily karmen <ek2072000@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Olga,
            >
            > Thanks so much for your response. Jacob Zang and his children
            George, Tessie, Lena, Julius and I think there might be a couple of
            others (unfortunately whose names escape me), would be the ones I'm
            looking for...George Zang (changed later to Sang) is my great great
            grandfather. I think he was born around 1880. He and his wife (Sara
            Sang nee Kotzen) are buried at New Montifiore in Queens.

            > About the Kotzens, I have some information that they may have
            lived originally in Ariogala (sp?) and Rasenai (sp?). I've found
            some hastily written notes that are hard to make sense of! Was there
            much intermingling between families in these towns and Keidan? What
            was their relationship to one another?

            > Thanks again for all your help! I have a distant cousin in
            Israel who I managed to find (she's also descended from the Zangs)
            and both of us are eager to learn more.

            > Regards,
            > Emily

          • Harvey L Kaplan
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 11, 2006
              Re Kedainiai/Ariogala connections - my Kaplan family appear in Ariogala records c1840s-1880s, then the family appears to have lived for a short time in Kedainiai, before coming to Scotland. (My Fayn family were from nearby Josvainiai).

              I visited these 3 towns last year - they are all quite near each other, and families would have moved about/intermarried with each other.

              Harvey L Kaplan
              Glasgow, Scotland

            • Barbera Levin
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 13, 2006
                Dear Olga,

                Thanks again for all your thorough compilation of records. I have gone
                through them and am very grateful.

                Regards
                Barbara