Re: [JewishKeidan] Family Polatinsky

  • Marvin Palatt
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 19, 2005
      --- arnx44 <arnx44@...> wrote:
      Hi Arnold!
      I think we have communicated before. I am Marvin
      PALATT. Although my Family name was Palatinsky, my
      father's "papers" all read Palatinski, so I have been
      using that spelling to see if anybody can identify.
      The first names of your family members and some of
      mine are the same, as well as some of the locations.
      I find it very curious to say the least. My father's
      uncle Alec did go to South Africa but then came here
      to Los Angeles to join his brother Louis who had left
      Keidan and gone to New York all the way back in the
      1920s! His Jewish name was Leib Shmuel or perhaps
      Shmuel Leib. These two brothers were born in Keidan
      around 1900 or shortly after. Louis was still in his
      teens when he left Keidan for New York and changed his
      name to PALATT. His plan was to bring the family over
      including their third brother, my grandfather,
      Menachem Mendel Palatinsky and his family, but the
      story goes that my great-grandmother refused to leave
      her home for a "treife land". She died of natural
      causes just before the holocaust came to Lithuania,
      and all of her desendents there were killed except my
      father, Meyer Yitzchok, or Max.
      Uncle Louis had moved from New York to Los Angeles by
      then and after the war found my dad's name on a list
      of surviving DPs. He brought my father here to Los
      Angeles where he lived until his death in 1983 as MAX
      PALATT. NOW..........that is the story I know.
      The story I SUSPECT is a bit different. I think that
      the Palatinsky men of my grandfather's generation were
      possibly a bit more complex and may have had multiple
      "partners" in New York and South Africa. This
      lifestyle may have been what disuaded my
      great-grandmother and her son, my grandfather, from
      joining them in the new world.
      The woman I knew as Alec's wife was a lady by the name
      of Helen. They had one son, Michael. Michael had run
      away from home and changed his name by the mid 70s. I
      somehow doubt that this was Alec's "first" venture at
      a family. Louis was an infamous womanizer, and had
      possibly come to California to escape the wrath of a
      woman (that, I heard from my mother). There is
      another link here in New York. Alec and Louis had a
      sister, DORA in New York. I don't know her married
      name or the name of any of her children. To me here
      in L.A. it was as if this branch of the family didn't
      exist. Only Louis visited them once a year in New
      York, and that's it.
      My son, Isaac Palatt is now at art school in New York
      and is signing his work "ISAAC PALATINSKI"
      I have used GOOGLE to look up other PALATT listings,
      and there are a few on the east-coast and get
      this.......all in the arts. As for me, I am a
      professional violinist and instructor of the violin.
      Born in 1952 in Los Angeles to MAX PALATT and his
      wife, ROSE POSNER PALATT. My mom's maiden name was
      Aisakovitz, and her second cousin Norman Camber is a
      member of this group. That's how I got here!
      Now, this is ONE LONG LETTER.
      Your thoughts?
      Cheers,
      Marvin

      > Dear Keidaners,I am trying to trace anyone with the
      > family name
      > POLATINSKY.
      >
      > I would be pleased to hear from anyone who may have
      > any information
      > regarding the family POLATINSKY.
      >
      > My Late grandfather (Avraham ben Elihahu Z"L) and
      > late grandmother
      > (Rachel bat Dov Z"L) lived in Kiedan or in the area
      > (Podburk??)they
      > had a daughter Anna Z"L and four sons Elihahu (Alec)
      > Z"L ,Salman
      > Gershon (Solly) Z"L ,Dov Z"L and Mendel Z"L.
      >
      > The brothers Alec ,Solly and Mendel all emmigrated
      > to South Africa,
      > (approx 1915-20),Dov and Anna lived with their
      > parents in Magdiel
      > Israel.Dov (Palatinsky)left to study in Italy and
      > lived in Rome.Anna
      > married and moved to America (New York?)with her
      > husband.
      >
      > We had an aunt living in New York, Bertha Kaplan
      > Albam Z"L.Some
      > names associated with the family are Kaplan (cousins
      > Bertha and
      > Berka)and Shapiro ( an uncle, Avraham "Abe" who
      > lived in
      > Johannesburg - Lion Trading Co).
      >
      > If there is any one with any information concerning
      > the family I
      > would be pleased to hear from them.
      >
      > With Thanks,
      > Arnold Polatinsky

      http://my.yahoo.com
    • A. Cassel
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 19, 2005
        Arnold, Marvin,

        Interesting stories! Your family memories are a good example of how diverse
        and widespread the Keidan community is. I've checked the records I have, and
        I find that among the members of the Keidaner Association of New York in
        1930 is listed "I. Polatinsky"

        Further, In the Keidaner Society plot at Montefiore Cemetery in NY are
        stones with the following inscriptions:

        Isaac Polatinsky
        Oct. 5, 1947, age 73
        Yitzchak son of Avraham