RE: [JewishKeidan] Sam Betten; Samuel Greenblatt

  • Linda Dubins
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 26, 2006

      My grandfather, William S. Dubins (formerly Dubinsky), was a member of the NY Keidaner Assn in the 1930s. He died in 1937. I think he might be the man in the upper right corner because that man looks an awful lot like my father.

      From: adagreen@...
      To: JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [JewishKeidan] Sam Betten; Samuel Greenblatt
      Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 01:09:17 +0000

      On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 06:04:26 +0200 Josh Weinstein wrote:

      > In 1938 my dad Ben (Barnet) Weinstein and Sam Betten both held office in
      > the Keidaner Society of New York.

      Sam BETTEN was originally from Seta (Shat), Lithuania.  He married Annie KROST from Kedainiai.  They are buried in the Kedainer Association plot at Montefiore Cemetery in Queens, NY.  Samuel's parents, Solomon BETTEN and Ethel Leah [maiden name unknown] are buried in the Shater Prog. Benevolent Assocation plot in the same cemetery.

      Another former president of the Kedainer Association was Samuel GREENBLATT (1876 c.-1938), who was born in Vandziogala, Lithuania.  He was married to Beckie SAGOWITZ (ZAGOVICH from Kedainiai).  Samuel and Beckie are buried in the older plot for the Kedainer Association at Washington Cemetery in Brooklyn.  The point I'm making though is that a president or other officer of the Kedainer Association wasn't necessarily a Kedainer himself, but rather he married one.

      Samuel GREENBLATT's Hebrew name was Yehoshua ben Asher Shlomo.  Co-incidental or not, my late father, also named Samuel GREENBLATT (1911-2000), was Shmuel ben Asher.  My father's paternal roots were in Seta and Vandziogala, but I don't know if my father and the president of the Kedainer Association shared a same common ancestor (my father was a generation younger than his Kedainer Association namesake).

      Ada Green

      adagreen@...

      American family home insuranceAmerican family home insurance companyAmerican family home owner insurance
      Multi family home for saleSingle family home for saleFamily home finance

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS