Keidan Vital Records Project Update

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 9, 2006
      Another set of translated Keidan birth records has been distributed
      to qualified contributors to the Keidan Vital Records translation
      project, a LitvakSIG program. This marks the completion of thirty-
      six years of birth records totaling more than 3,000 documents. The
      translations are continuing at a steady, predictable pace, with all
      indications that the remaining fourteen years of records will be
      completed and distributed by April, bringing the total number of
      birth records to 4,500. We will then move on to Phase 2 of the
      project, the marriage records.

      Phase 1 will have been completed in less than a year from the start
      date. The Keidan VRI Project has an established track record.
      Donations are no longer a "risk"; they are an investment. Your
      contributions will not lie in a stagnant fund. They are put to work
      and they yield returns. Please invest so that we can complete the
      entire project--the translation of some 15,000 Keidan vital records.

      This effort is not solely about the translation of records. It is
      about awakening a half-century of our ancestors' lives in Keidan. We
      can never know enough about them, but we can begin to imagine their
      marriages, picture their children and mourn their deaths. We
      discover their cousins, their neighbors, their rabbis; we enter the
      19th century Jewish community of Keidan.

      I have compiled a surname index based on the translated records to
      date. Anyone who wishes to know whether his or her families are
      represented in the records is welcome to contact me.

      For details about the project please visit the website of the
      LitvakSIG Vital Records Indexing Project:
      http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeol99x/

      Olga Zabludoff
      Keidan Coordinator
      oz@...
    • Dr Asherson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 9, 2006
        I would like to join adncould send a US check to you for $100... can you
        give me an address ??Kind regards Dr Ronald Asherson

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Barbera Levin
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 15, 2006
          Dear Olga

          Thank you so much for your email. I will visit the various websites but
          meanwhile I am experiencing so much frustration. We visited Yad Vashem in
          Jerusalem in November and were unable to find details of my father's family
          who were all killed in the Holocaust. I do have pictures of many of them but
          do not know their married names. However my grandparents were:

          Sara and Baruch Linde(he died young before the war)
          Their daughters(my father's sisters), Shayna, Esther,Laya and his brother
          whose name I can't remember.

          They lived in Keidan and my father's name was Motel(Max)or Mordechai as he
          was known in South Africa to where he emigrated to .in 1927. I know that my
          father studied at the university in Kovno(Kaunas)

          Do you have any information? At Yad Vashem they had a record of Sara Linde
          but she was the wife of Abraham perhaps a relation but not my grandparents.

          I would be grateful for any help.

          Regards
          Barbara Levin

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 16, 2006
            Dear Barbara,

            LINDE is one of the most abundant names in my Keidan surname index.
            There are 39 LINDE birth records among the 36 years of births that
            have been translated to date. It was obviously a very large family
            in Keidan.

            I won't have any information about the fate of those members of the
            LINDE family who were lost or trapped in the Holocaust because the
            Keidan vital records we have go only through 1914 (starting in
            1822).

            Give me just a little time to work on this and I will get back to
            you. I cannot make any guarantees, but I hope I can help.

            Best wishes,

            Olga Zabludoff

            --- In JewishKeidan@yahoogroups.com, "Barbera Levin" <barlev@b...>

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 17, 2006
              Dear Barbara,

              I have found the birth records of your father, his brother and their
              four sisters. The grandparents' records may appear in the earlier
              birth records now being translated.

              wrote:

              > Dear Olga
              >
              > Thank you so much for your email. I will visit the various
              websites but
              > meanwhile I am experiencing so much frustration. We visited Yad
              Vashem in
              > Jerusalem in November and were unable to find details of my
              father's family
              > who were all killed in the Holocaust. I do have pictures of many
              of them but
              > do not know their married names. However my grandparents were:
              >
              > Sara and Baruch Linde(he died young before the war)
              > Their daughters(my father's sisters), Shayna, Esther,Laya and his
              brother
              > whose name I can't remember.
              >
              > They lived in Keidan and my father's name was Motel(Max)or
              Mordechai as he
              > was known in South Africa to where he emigrated to .in 1927. I
              know that my
              > father studied at the university in Kovno(Kaunas)
              >
              > Do you have any information? At Yad Vashem they had a record of
              Sara Linde
              > but she was the wife of Abraham perhaps a relation but not my
              grandparents.

              > I would be grateful for any help.
              >
              > Regards
              > Barbara Levin

            • Barbera Levin
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 17, 2006
                Dear Olga

                How absolutely wonderful and thank you so much. I cannot believe how quickly
                you have responded. I will respond to your other email which provides me
                with the required address.

                Thanks again

                wrote:

                > Dear Olga
                >
                > Thank you so much for your email. I will visit the various
                websites but
                > meanwhile I am experiencing so much frustration. We visited Yad
                Vashem in
                > Jerusalem in November and were unable to find details of my
                father's family
                > who were all killed in the Holocaust. I do have pictures of many
                of them but
                > do not know their married names. However my grandparents were:
                >
                > Sara and Baruch Linde(he died young before the war)
                > Their daughters(my father's sisters), Shayna, Esther,Laya and his
                brother
                > whose name I can't remember.
                >
                > They lived in Keidan and my father's name was Motel(Max)or
                Mordechai as he
                > was known in South Africa to where he emigrated to .in 1927. I
                know that my
                > father studied at the university in Kovno(Kaunas)
                >
                > Do you have any information? At Yad Vashem they had a record of
                Sara Linde
                > but she was the wife of Abraham perhaps a relation but not my
                grandparents.

                > I would be grateful for any help.
                >
                > Regards
                > Barbara Levin