New Years greetings, and a new project

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2005
      Fellow Keidaners,

      As 2005 comes to a close, I want to thank everyone who has
      contributed to this group since we set it up here on Yahoo. I'm
      gratified that the global community of Keidan descendents remains
      alive and in touch. May 2006 be for all of us a healthy, peaceful
      year, and may we all continue to reach out to one another in
      fellowship.

      In that spirit, I'm forwarding a message to everyone here from one
      of our greatest living links to Keidan -- Martin Kagan of New York
      City. For those who don't know, Martin was born and raised in
      Keidan, leaving just before the first Russian invasion in 1939. A
      leader of the Zionist youth movement Hatzair Hashomer, he remains,
      at 85, vitally active in Israeli and Jewish affairs.

      Below is Martin's message. Please respond if you can. All the best,
      and Happy New Year.

      Andy

      --------------------------

      As most of us know, in 1941 as the Germans occupied Lithuania they
      embarked, in most cases with the help of the indigenous population,
      on a campaign to kill the Jews there.
      In Keidan, as in close to a thousand other East European
      communities, the population, with a long tradition of virulent anti
      Semitism, after weeks of inhuman torture, massacred several thousand
      Jews --the exact number is not known, although some sources put it
      at 2076. There were only a few survivors who miraculously escaped
      and lived to tell the story. What they witnessed is beyond
      description.
      Today, what remains of the once proud Jewish community of Keidan is
      a mass grave marked by a small plaque. Thousands of victims lie
      buried, nameless. Until now, the authorities have refused to be of
      help in commemorating the victims.
      Recently, as Lithuania has tried to get closer to NATO and the
      European Union, there is a chance they might be less reluctant to be
      open about the mass grave.
      But the victims lie there nameless -- and with time it will be more
      difficult, if not impossible, to identify our dear ones. It's late,
      but not too late. We are hoping that Keidaner Landsleit will help in
      compiling a list of those massacred so that a common Matzeva with
      the known names can be erected.
      All of you reading this plea, please let us know any names of
      relatives ,friends or anybody you know of, who perished in those
      terrible days in Keidan.
      Thank you and may this year bring peace and solace to all.

      Martin (Moshe) Kagan, originally from Keidan
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 30, 2005
        Dear Keidaners:

        I am very touched by Moshe Kagan's stirring message. I think his
        idea of a common matzeva with the known names of those who perished
        is beautiful and very possible. It should happen.

        Here are the names of my family members who are in the mass grave in
        Keidan:

        Aharon Poritz, his wife Elisheva (Lesel) Zilber Poritz, and their
        three children: Yosifon, Zahava, and BenAmi.

        I will collect names from friends and relatives who will know of
        others.

        Thank you, Moshe, for launching this bittersweet project.

        Olga Poritz Zabludoff